Hey! Need some advice for SC (1 Viewer)

cs01001

HSC
Hey,

How is it going? I am new to Bored of Sutdies! Nice to see so many helpful members around!

So yea, I am currently in Year 10 in Carlingford High School. In Week1, Term 4, there will be 2 hour trial exams for virtually every subject - English, Maths, Sciecne, Geo and History etc. Wit that being said, my holiday is gonna suck, but oh well....
Do any of you guys have any trial papers, or any suggestions to effective studying for SC in the coming months? Hmm....I am sort of worried about the SC english...

People keep telling me that the real SC isn't really that important, but yea.... I still want to give it my best shot, and make the certificates look good.

So yea, please help me out! :)

Thanks

Last edited:

tongnk

HSC
Well, I'm quite new to Bored of Studies as well... My SC isn't in the first week of the term though. Are you quite sure about that? Because there is still all the stuff you have to learn from History/Geography. But we do have the SC trials next monday. EEEEK. well, at least the computer skills thing is a joke. : ) Um.. about studying, just pace yourself and see how you go in the trials. I've read in some other posts that the trials are much harder than the actualy SC so hopefully that is the case.

James747

HSC
Hehehe...welcome to BOS!
Im sorta a new member too, compared to the large majority of members. Well, I just finished my trials today *phew!* maths, history, geo and [accordingly] science were ridiculous. Almost 3/4 of the paper was taken from past SC papers, lazy teachers cant be bothered making their own... but thats my skool, which is a quite shxtty one. =P
Umm...resources. There are some notes here at BOS on geo and history, which you shopuld find pretty helpful, cuz i did. And the official BOS website has online questions u can do
Ha, u worried bout english too? I was as well, and it turned out to be the most difficult subject out of all. I don't really know how to "study" for it, but I guess going over the structure of how to write feature artices, newspaper, speech, etc would be helpful for the writing task u get.
Hope this helps,
cheers

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
welcome to BOS

Our teacher shove us a tone of trial papers to do. But they dont look too difficult. the board of studies has trial exams on their website, so you can take a look there.

As for study, you need to work out what your weakest area(s) is/are. But the math test looks really basic. I am not worried at all ^^.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
The SC is a rather general exam.

You should have a good overall understanding of your subjects to get a good grade...no strenuous study is really required.

Remember to check out the exam formats!

Also, don't just "revise" get into the habbit of also doing practise exams. Test yourself under exam conditions.

For studying - basically just read over your course, and do some practise exams. I dont' think there's a great need to make detailed notes, but if highlighting or writing key points down helps, then sure go ahead.
And for maths study = lots of questions :) I suggest you also work on your non-calc section as i think most ppl have the hardest time trying to finish that in the given time.

Good luck!

topdeck

HSC
The board fo studies website has heaps of past exams, with answers to some of them. As far as studying goes...firstly get an idea of what topics are being tested then work out what areas you need to spend the most time on and what you already understand. Good luck!

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/schoolcertificate/

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
cs01001 said:
Hey,

How is it going? I am new to Bored of Sutdies! Nice to see so many helpful members around!

So yea, I am currently in Year 10 in Carlingford High School. In Week1, Term 4, there will be 2 hour trial exams for virtually every subject - English, Maths, Sciecne, Geo and History etc. Wit that being said, my holiday is gonna suck, but oh well....
Do any of you guys have any trial papers, or any suggestions to effective studying for SC in the coming months? Hmm....I am sort of worried about the SC english...

People keep telling me that the real SC isn't really that important, but yea.... I still want to give it my best shot, and make the certificates look good.

So yea, please help me out! :)

Thanks
So yea, studying the night before is good :)

Bractune

HSC
I went to Fiji to play rugby 2 weeks before my exams and then had to come back and do them. I was pretty stressed out about getting good marks because i knew my mum was going to kill me if i didn't.
Anyways on the night of our presentation i looked at my SC results and i noticed i got 91 (band 6) for english.
So in conclusion everything worked out ok.
What does that have to do with you?
no idea... i guess the lesson is a holiday in Fiji does wonders for ones marks??
Good Luck

kitty kats

HSC
Hey everybody, just finishd SC trials and i guess it was harder than expected :bomb:

#1 tip is that if u need to remember small notes such as a forumla or something really small then try memorising it straight b4 u go to sleep.

T

Testpilot

To be perfectly honest SC is over-rated, unless your going to leave school. I didn't study for it that much (read over my school book the night before) and still got 89s and 90s for every subject. Just relax and have confidence in your knowledge during the test and you will find it very do-able.

ryan1990

HSC
The SC is really nothing to stress over... The trials are always harder and besides you should finish the courses a few weeks before the actual exam anyways. It provides a great opportunity to study in class; so studying at home isnt really essential... just make sure you complete your classwork and you shouldnt have any problems :) ...

GoodLuck ...

cs01001

HSC
lizziegirl said:
hey i'm from carlo high too :) but i'm in year 12...always happy to help u guys though...

the yr 10 exams suck. seriously, they arent worth ur time worrying over them. no 1, they dont show a true representation of ur skills. for the english exam, its a whole range of comprehension questions, and u have a set of multiple choice answers to choose from. i'm not too sure how u would go about studying for that as such, but maybe brush up on ur comprehension skills/ buy one of those skill books from 5 senses or something.

the worst thing about the exam is the hype that teachers create. they want u guys to sweat over it, when really its a piece of cake. i studied my arse off for the history exam and did worse than the geo exam, even though i studied less for it.
lol, I might know you! Yea...our schools isn't really strong in English, I personally hate comprehension questions....its just stupid.... as for History, I got Mrs. Owens, she is a pretty good teacher imho, she keeps reminding you how to go about achieveing a Band 6...blah blah blah". I studied my arse for History in the half yearlies, and got alright.... whereas I didn't study all that much for Geo and came 2nd in the grade, lol.

Oh, a big thanks to everyone who replied, I am trying to get into a habit of some mild studying each night.

Keep this thread alive!

cs01001

HSC
Hey SoulSearcher, i guess you pwned your SC, didn't you?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Try to balance your time during these holidays between fun and study. There is hardly any need to spend almost every waking moment studying for the trial SC exams. A little bit all the time, making sure you can recall information on each topic and constantly testing yourself and your memory is what got me through the SC, HSC is another story all together.

It’s good to hear that you want to do well after all even though the SC doesn’t matter so much if you are going onto the HSC it is still the first external paper you will be sitting so in that regard it does become important. Try not to stress yourself out the SC is basically general knowledge and a lot of people can do really well with study the night before, depending on the type of study you are.

Basically don’t stress enjoy the remainder of year 10 as senior school is a completely different game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)