Hey - pathways to B. Engineering (1 Viewer)

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
hey guys, quick q.

Im not sure if this goes here, but meh.

Uhh, I heard that if i dont get into a B. Engineering, i can always do the B. Science for the 1st year and the xfer to B. Engineering..

Is this true? there are no downfalls? no extra years i have to spend in uni? ..

So, 1 year of science, and i continue with engineering as if i had originally started at engineering? Thanks! (my question is particulary reffering to UNSW, science being 75, and engineering being 88 or so).

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
Re: Hey

Oh sorry i forgot to mention...Is there a certian type of science i must do to be able to xfer, if i can(ie B. Science (advanced Science))? Or is it just B. Science..

ctrlaltv

HSC

im in the same situation as you, if I dont make engineering, I have science as a backup. but i'm not sure if they let you transfer or not.

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A

science as a backup? it doesnt really backup engineering if we cant transfer?

i have no use what so ever for science, im only going to put it so i can use it to get into engineering if i dont make it..if i cant transfer from science, then i dont see the use of putting it as an option?

ctrlaltv

HSC

haha yeah. i dont care about science, i just want to use it to transfer to compsci if I dont get 88. i got an interview with UNSW for FEAS on 30 september though, gonna ask them during interview if they allow this transfer.

me121

Premium Member
HSC

i think there is something at unsw that if you don't get the uai, you can go to and interview where they will make a decision as to let you in or not..

also they have to approve the transfer. so you shouldn't just assume that you will be able to do it no matter what.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Surely there are engineering streams with lower UAI than even straight science that you can get started in and transfer to your desired stream after a year?

erm

HSC
for those in the know, would it be better to take the science pathway, or doing engineering at another uni? (obviously with a lower UAI cutoff)

KD

HSC
N/A
erm said:
for those in the know, would it be better to take the science pathway, or doing engineering at another uni? (obviously with a lower UAI cutoff)
There is no guarantee that you can transfer into Engineering at UNSW. Entry is through UAC and you will compete against others as per this year. The only difference is that your ranking will be varied depending on your marks in 1st year (can go up or down).

If you want to become an engineer then do engineering somewhere. If you manage to transfer you will probably get credit for what you have done and will potentially still finish in 4 years total. If you don't manage to transfer into UNSW then you will still be doing an engineering degree and still become an engineer - which is your main goal.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC

me121 said:
i think there is something at unsw that if you don't get the uai, you can go to and interview where they will make a decision as to let you in or not..

also they have to approve the transfer. so you shouldn't just assume that you will be able to do it no matter what.
FEAS -
http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/feas/index.htm

Didn't go through that, you had to come before the HSC during school holidays so I got in via direct entry.

EDIT:

If you don't have the prerequisites for Physics or Mathematics you can study Fundamentals in either which leads you to the award
'Diploma in Science, Engineering and Technology'.

EDIT2:

They eat your moneysss.
My cousin's doing a pathway to a buisness degree which is a 4 year DIPLOMA.
Another reason not to do pathways and just make sure your foundation is good enough.
You will need a HSC mark of 70 for Mathematics compared to 90 in my first-semester Maths course.

But in my opinion it's a waste of time, the content is similar but it leads back further to your good old 2-unit maths days.

Last edited:

Morbo

HSC
syriangabsta said:
hey guys, quick q.

Im not sure if this goes here, but meh.

Uhh, I heard that if i dont get into a B. Engineering, i can always do the B. Science for the 1st year and the xfer to B. Engineering..

Is this true? there are no downfalls? no extra years i have to spend in uni? ..

So, 1 year of science, and i continue with engineering as if i had originally started at engineering? Thanks! (my question is particulary reffering to UNSW, science being 75, and engineering being 88 or so).
No, this isn't true. There is no guarantee you will can transfer into B Engineering from a B Science however, you may complete an equivalent first year engineering program within the B Science - not at all recommended by Science Faculty (that is, you must look into the engineering program you wish to pursue and follow that program within your first year in the Science degree). Both Engineering and Science programs are similar, all engineering programs will require you to complete 12 units (2 courses) of maths, atleast 6 units of physics, 6 units of computing and other electives depending on which branch of engineering you wish to do. This will not guarantee you will be eligible to transfer into a B Engineering, that is subject to your UAI and/or your first year results (keep in mind you must complete 48 units for UAC to consider your uni results). This means, if you are able to transfer into the B Engineering program, the courses you completed during first year in B Science will be credited towards your new program (and, so you won't have to repeat any courses you have previously completed). I know somebody who's doing a B Science (Advanced) who did Engineering Design (one of the courses required in all first year Engineering programs) as an elective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)