hey would any former year twelves or anyone starting yr 12 help? (1 Viewer)

Tessa*55

HSC
just wondering how many units you think is too many for the hsc year? I am thinking of doing either 12 or thirteen including three extension courses, please help me. Whats the best to do, i am ready to work hard but i dont want to let myself in for a whole lot of work that i cant keep up with.
My subjects would be: -mod history, extension 1 mod hitory, advanced english, extension 1 and 2 english, biology, standard maths and pdhpe.

let me know soon if you can cause ive got to choose by the end of the week. Thanks

T

Testpilot

On the whole 13 units is easily managable. However this really comes down to the nature of the subject and the type of person you are. I'm assuming based on your subjects listed that you are somebody that likes English. Hence doing EX2 plus History shouldn't be too hard. PDHPE and General Maths shouldn't be too hard either (from what I've heard). Just remember that in year 12 both EX2 and History Extension have major projects that will be required to manage. Doing 12 units is pretty standard anyway. Plus if it's too much you can always drop a subject.

ellie44

HSC
Can you please help me, I'm new :) I was just wondering, do you think I've made the right choice on choosing music 1, general maths, advanced english, biology, ancient history and french continuers to get a UAI of 85+???

T

Testpilot

You can get a UAI of 100 with any set of subjects, provided you do well enough.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Testpilot said:
On the whole 13 units is easily managable. However this really comes down to the nature of the subject and the type of person you are. I'm assuming based on your subjects listed that you are somebody that likes English. Hence doing EX2 plus History shouldn't be too hard. PDHPE and General Maths shouldn't be too hard either (from what I've heard). Just remember that in year 12 both EX2 and History Extension have major projects that will be required to manage. Doing 12 units is pretty standard anyway. Plus if it's too much you can always drop a subject.
What he said. But 12 units guarantees you no frees - if you're lucky, 1 or 2

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
magpam said:
each school is different i think

i had more than enough frees back in prelim when i did 13U
I had 13 units in prelim too...i had 4 frees. One of my friends who had 13u in yr 12 (later dropped to 12) had no frees. But you're probably right, the number of frees you get will differ from school to school :)

T

Testpilot

I think it depends on class size. Last year (HSC for me) I had frees because 2 of my classes were small. I think we were meant to have 9 periods per fortnight but lost 2 from each subject because their was less than 10 people in the class.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
That's a bit unfair though. Class size shouldnt really matter should it. Your teacher should've been using those lessons to go ahead with your work but its all over now so who gives a shit? yeh i dropped to 10 units and i had 22 frees!

Last edited:

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
The case at my school is that if there's too few studnets, there will be less prds allocated.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
simonloo said:
The case at my school is that if there's too few studnets, there will be less prds allocated.
Errr no, 2 units are 9 periods/fortnight, each extension period is 4/fortnight.

There's one kid in Extension Latin and Extension Greek, he has 13 periods each/fornight/

2700wrms

HSC
Try and do 11 units, just makes life so much easier

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
ellie44 said:
Can you please help me, I'm new :) I was just wondering, do you think I've made the right choice on choosing music 1, general maths, advanced english, biology, ancient history and french continuers to get a UAI of 85+???
from what I've heard general maths and ancient history don't scale too well but if you do well at them you can do fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)