• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

heyy: wanting to do dentistry at uni (2009 HSC Student) (1 Viewer)

amandaii

HSC
hey
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->i have question if any body knows could u pls help me out um i was wandering im in year eleven starting year twelve in two weeks and i started to become intrested in doing dentisry and my subjesct at school dont really relate to it and it is two late to change and even if i did i would of missed a year but i just wanted to no with the subjest im doing which are english standard, bussiness studies, community and family studies of religion (2 unit) and retail and i got a high mark in my hsc for these subject do i have any chance in going on to uni to study on doing dentistry or is it just a waste of time because ive become intrested in it and now it too late to change my subject so i was wondering if any one new if not do you no any one who does cause i wanted to no

thanxxx

amandaii

HSC
Re: heyy

im not sure but you have to do chemistry physics subjest like that and i dnt do any of them so would i even be able to do it in uni or not

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

amandaii said:
im not sure but you have to do chemistry physics subjest like that and i dnt do any of them so would i even be able to do it in uni or not
Yes, you can do it. Only UAI really matters.

However, the chance of getting an entry is further reduced due to the absence of chemistry and physics/biology from your HSC subject list.

amandaii

HSC

but will it take me longer do do than others do others have a better advantage

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

amandaii said:
but will it take me longer do do than others do others have a better advantage
No, it won't take longer for you to do. It just takes up your extra time during university time if you take up bridging course.

And as I said, you are sort of disadvantaged in a sense that you didn't do Physics and Chemistry or other relevant sciences.

But other than that, nothing hinders your chance of gaining an entry for uni course as long as you get the marks required.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

amandaii said:
o okay that alright.
you will not be doing dent in 2010 in metro sydney... there is currently no course for year 12 leavers...

so you need to do graduate entry dentistry at USyd or
I think there is a new course at CSU and/or Latrobe

or UQ or Adelaide or Griffith or UWA or Melb(grad entry)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

cos it is?.... its been lik that for lik 10 years... to improve graduate maturity and abilities

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

well if you want to move out of sydney... then you will have to sit the UMAT otherwise... just do another degree then GAMSAT if you realli feel strongly about dent..

minimum is about 7 years of uni till Bdent in Usyd... in Adelaide and UWA its 5 for their BDS and BDSc.

amandaii

HSC

yeh im keen about doing dentistry but i dnt no if im willing to move.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

haha its not easy...

my housemate does dentistry... hes almost done... everyone moves for med or dent when they can afford it and if they really want it.. most of us took jobs ... in uni and in yr 12 to fund the start up.. and very nice parents

amandaii

HSC

hahahah far i dont i really am intrested but i dont no lol now that u tld me that.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

amandaii said:
hahahah far i dont i really am intrested but i dont no lol now that u tld me that.
better now than after paying ~$130 for your UMAT or ~$600 for your GAMSAT + HECS debt... lol

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

proringz

HSC
Well, there's only one undergraduate Dentistry course I know of that is starting as of next year and that's in Charles Sturt University. I was gonna apply but figured Orange is a bit too far for my liking.

loler

HSC
and what uai are they asking for?around about?

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
a fair few of my mates got put off at the fact that they had to live in orange. they looked at few pictures on wikipedia and decided that it was wayyyyy too plain. so hopefully the uai required will be in the low 90s. does any 1 know if they weigh the uai or is it a hurdle (i.e. every1 over 90 is the same?).
edit: if it is weighed, how much weighting is placed on interview/uai?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)