Hidden unemployment and unemployment benefits (1 Viewer)

Aesytic

HSC
Do the hidden unemployed receive unemployment benefits? They aren't actually counted as unemployed, but does that mean they don't receive these benefits?

Mdzabakly

HSC
arnt they mostly disabled people ? and therefore get disability paymens

Aesytic

HSC
i think that's hard-core unemployment...i'm referring to people who just choose not to actively seek work, and thus aren't counted in unemployment figures

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't do economics so dunno how your defining hidden unemployment - but the statistical definition of unemployment is different to the criteria used to determine if somebody gets the unemployment benefit.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i think that's hard-core unemployment...i'm referring to people who just choose not to actively seek work, and thus aren't counted in unemployment figures
I think it's a requirement of the newstart allowance that to continue to receive it you have to prove that you've looked for/applied for jobs and would therefore be counted as unemployed.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Do the hidden unemployed receive unemployment benefits? They aren't actually counted as unemployed, but does that mean they don't receive these benefits?
I don't think they do. But they probably get some other transfer payements (?)

What's the context of this question?

Aesytic

HSC
oh, ok, thanks guys!

and to bored_of_HSC, i was looking at a question that asked about economic effects of an increase in the participation rate, and the thought sort of came to me...

get_back23

HSC
hidden unemployment are those that are discouraged from seeking jobs, but want a job.
THis means they are jobless i.e. low income.
Most 'unemployment' benefit have criterias based upon the level of income you earn, so yes they do get welfare payments

RishBonjour

HSC
they get welfare payments, hidden unemployment = not unemployed

JoeyDW

HSC
i thought the only way you get paid my centrelink is if you show that you're actively looking for work regularly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)