HIGH ACHIEVERS!! How do you STUDY?????????? (1 Viewer)

lolitaaa

HSC
Seriously I've heard of so many study techniques but how the hell can a person have time to do all of them??!!? If you're gonna be revising for 5 hours a day, you wouldn't just be writing notes after revising one section? It takes so long!! Is it sufficient to read over notes after you understand something? You know how people study a lot, how can they be writing continuously?? Their hands would fall off... jks jks
So tell me, how do you have time to revise + past papers + write new notes omg!!!!! thanks

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Have 1 set of notes for each subject, don't rewrite them. Just add to them as you go through the course. Read over them once or twice, then apply them to past papers.

iStudent

HSC
finish your notes early (I finished mine in the summer holidays. worked okish for me but I'm no 'high achiever' haha)
and type your notes.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
I got 99.95 last year, this is how I did it:

Flop my book out, my textbook out, make notes and do practice questions.

Revolutionary stuff.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Go slightly a head of your class,and write up notes each day.

rawrliongirl

HSC
I know one things for certain...DO NOT CRAM!!!!! I swear cramming messed up my half yearlies :(
I did do ok for my bio exam since i started studying for that a few weeks before my test. All I did was read my textbook (like legit everything from the topics we were being tested on so I fully understood everything, learnt nothing in class so I had to self teach) and make brief notes of really important ideas and words I should know - did it on my laptop. Then I would just read over my notes every day or whatever.. Then i got a little lazy and stopped doing that and wasted the second week of the holidays, but if I hadn't I wouldve done practice tests which probably wouldve helped boost my marks a little more.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Well said, therefore people "Don't doubt enigma"

kiwi703

HSC
N/A
Everyone has their own unique style, but most of the high achievers in the HSC are the people who spend a high proportion of their study time doing past papers, practice questions and reading markers' feedback, as opposed to reading and re-writing notes.

lolitaaa

HSC
omg people!!!!!!!! How can One have time to revise all of the material completely and then do past papers throughout the year?? please help

lolitaaa

HSC
can I do open book exams at home? it's a bit like rewriting notes, but in a purposeful way

kiwi703

HSC
N/A
can I do open book exams at home? it's a bit like rewriting notes, but in a purposeful way
If you do this too often you become dependent on solutions and cripple your own memory. I recommend doing practice exams closed book. Try your hardest to write down whatever you can remember and then once you've exhausted everything that you can think of, refer to the solutions to consolidate or re-learn what you need to.

It really is that simple! Imitating exam conditions at home is a great way to improve your exam technique which is often neglected.

enoilgam

HSC
I have said this a million times on BoS (que groans from everyone), but study is about finding what works best for you. Most high achievers have found the study methods which yield the best results for them. So try different methods of studying and see what works best.

Sami7197

HSC
Haven't done my HSC yet but am 3rd in all three of my sciences and =11th in advanced maths (my subjects average at about 20 people), and I've found just keeping on top of homework, doing past questions and writing formulae down in little books helps

Last edited:

Suuup2

HSC
Not everyone is the same, so find what suits you. Doing H/W + writing notes are essential and obviously past papers. But you need to keep motivated, so keep it interesting. You may do this through Kinesthetic learning i.e. you may be a visual learner so use colour, palm cards etc, whatever suits you. Or you can even read your notes out loud as if you are having a convo. with someone. I was so stuck in year 11, I used this and its really helping so far. I hope this helps :D:D

Oh and also study with friends, throw questions at each other, have quizzes, you will find that there are things that you may not know, that they might and vice versa, hence benefit you overall.

:)

deloving

HSC
Be critical with your notes. You will come across a lot of relevant information, but only some of it will be useful later (i.e. exams). Just go into the Resources section on here, look at the notes there, and you will see a lot of crammed information. Also, instead of making dot-point lists of every little detail, write out a sentence and/or a paragraph on a whole point.

enoilgam

HSC
Be critical with your notes. You will come across a lot of relevant information, but only some of it will be useful later (i.e. exams). Just go into the Resources section on here, look at the notes there, and you will see a lot of crammed information. Also, instead of making dot-point lists of every little detail, write out a sentence and/or a paragraph on a whole point.
This is definitely an important skill to master, not just for the HSC, but especially for uni. A lot of students have trouble with this, which causes them to become overwhelmed with work because they dont know where to focus. In uni, the course content can be considerably higher than HSC courses and having the ability to isolate the important content from the rest is critical and usually what separates D and HD students from the rest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)