High Court fences lawyers off from blame (1 Viewer)

Rorix

HSC
we should clearly sue the judge of the original trial for not instructing the jury properly.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's not that you can't sue us, its just that you can't see lawyers for negligence in relation to trial matters.

Jonathan A

HSC
transcendent said:
What a crock a shit! I demand that I be allowed to sue lawyers! :mad:

I think otherwise. The high court have upheld many times that lawyers have immunity.

Jonathan A

HSC
Rorix said:
I AM AN OUTRAGED TEACHER.

I CAN SUE WHO I WANT.

You can only sue those you have a cause of action against. You could make a statement of claim, may not go very far.

I believe the relevant case in terms of suing legal practititoners is Giannarelli v Wraith (1988) - the logic being that lawyers have an obligation to the court which can conflict with their obligations to their clients, hence their obligations to court will always take priority, so you cannot sue under negligence for trial matters.

Rorix

HSC
Jonathan A said:
You can only sue those you have a cause of action against. You could make a statement of claim, may not go very far.

I believe the relevant case in terms of suing legal practititoners is Giannarelli v Wraith (1988) - the logic being that lawyers have an obligation to the court which can conflict with their obligations to their clients, hence their obligations to court will always take priority, so you cannot sue under negligence for trial matters.

DONT MAKE ME STRIKE YOU WITH MY PROTEST SIGN

IM OUT RAGED

MY RAGE IS OUT

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
Moonlight, you cant sue lawyers (barristers or solicitors) for anything "intimately related to [their] work," or words to that effect, as a result of this case :) 'trial matters' is a little misleading ;)

as for the ruling.... Kirby J, as could be expected, dissented. This, of course, should be noted... as should his reasoning. However... i agree with the majority (in particular the opinions expressed by McHugh J) and would like to re-enforce the point that the law needs a degree of finality about it. To allow lawyers to be plagued by negligence suits brings the results of criminal trials into question. No, the law needs to be final. Decisions made by the courts need to be final, they must be subject to the law and to the law only. Individual acts that happen during the trial must be dealt with during the course of the trial. Yes, the law is an ass... but so are people. I'm not a fan of civil litigation at the best of times... and it is my opinion that allowing the integrity of lawyers to be questioned by individuals who have little knowledge of the workings of the court is wrong. Furthermore, lawyers work in a extremely subjective and volatile field. Thinking on their feet is so extremely crucial. Bad advice, 'negligent' advice might be given from time to time.... but it comes with human nature. A Doctor also has to think on his feet... but he is limited by certain strands of objectivity. He cannot very well cut off a patient's head to stop his eye bleeding. In law you can, metaphorically, do it.

that's my opinion anyway.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
tWiStEdD said:
Moonlight, you cant sue lawyers (barristers or solicitors) for anything "intimately related to [their] work," or words to that effect, as a result of this case :) 'trial matters' is a little misleading ;)
Don't forget for negligence.

I wonder if immunity from the state for criminal negligence also applies? I doubt it...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Jonathan A said:

Loosen up man, he's not serious :p

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
Moonlight:
oops. yea for neg :)

Asquithian:
i dont think Australia has 'turned back the clock.' at any rate, the clock is hardly a valid arguement for or against professional legal immunity.
i'll ignore the petty jibe you threw in there. fair immature... fair dissapointing.

like i said, i'm not a fan of civil litigation at the best of times. however, removing professional legal immunity would open the floodgates for plenty of unhappy clients (by unhappy, i mean they didnt win). the happy clients (those who won) will never commence litigation. those unhappy clients will just get unhappier still because i'd like to see them prove it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)