High Incidence of Cancer in Morven Brown? (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Herald today:
University brings in experts as staff fears of cancer cluster grow

THE University of NSW is investigating a possible cancer cluster after staff expressed concerns about the high incidence of the disease among those working in a building on its Kensington campus.

In an email to staff on Monday, the senior associate dean of the faculty of arts and social sciences, Sarah Maddison, said the university would appoint an epidemiologist to review the history of illness in the Morven Brown building.

"This expert will assess whether the number of these cases is abnormally high … and, if it is, give an opinion on whether and how their cause might be attributable to environmental factors."

While staff were relieved the university had acted, the National Tertiary Education Union's branch president, Susan Price, who also works in the building, said many were worried the investigation would be limited to one form of cancer.

Dr Maddison said the decision on the scope of the investigation would be made by the epidemiologist, not the university. Other staff were concerned that Dr Maddison's email indicated the university had prejudged the investigation's findings.

The email reads: "Without pre-empting the report's findings, I would like to reassure all staff that the most likely outcome of this process is a finding that the incidence of breast cancer in Morven Brown is not higher than that in the broader community."

Ms Price said that for many staff in the building this was not reassuring. "Every time you heard of a new colleague diagnosed with a cancer-related illness, people were concerned that it might have something to do with the building or outside the building."

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Oh that...lol if anyone (who doesn't have a life) wants to meet the epidemiologist, its the Professor for School of safety sci @ UNSW.

And man that building is heaps old!

wind

HSC
Went there to look for a tutor and ended up walking around in circles in that building.

Haven't found any cancer though.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
yikes i've never been in the building but walk past almost everyday

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
I'm a first year and haven't even went near that building, I have no idea where it is, oh well. I'm safe then.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
hahaha im glad i didnt have classes in there back at unsw
thats arts for you

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
I hear if you just LOOK at the building, you will get AIDs.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Awesome, an excuse to not go to my business transactions tute

bshoc

HSC
N/A
holy thats where i have some of my tute classes ...

good thing I never go

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)