High RAM usage? (1 Viewer)

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
Computer normally runs great, has got 2038MB RAM, but last few days has been using about 80% of the RAM constantly, when im only running internet and itunes. Usually runs at about 30% or less. svchost.exe is taking up a lot of memory, but not sure how to fix that, any help?

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
yeah its clean, i checked, but the RAM is all over the place. It runs fine when im playing games, and was down at 37% a minute ago but jumps up to 80% or so and stays there. ill try that site, thanks

moeycq

b0$$
HSC
Sounds like something is eating up your CPU.. check the processes tab through ctrl+alt+dlt and see if theres anything with a ridiculously large memory usage. If the file name isn't familiar throw it into google or post it back in this thread. If you don't find anything then it might be overheating or dust maybe?

Single out problems one by one.

moeycq

b0$$
HSC
If they're using vista then forget about not having high RAM usage.. haha

Weddas

Cooking Up a Storm
HSC
got to love vista, munches away at 1587mb of my ram while not doing anything.

if after looking at download.com dosent work then "reseat" your ram (remove it from your computer and eather swap it [if you have 2 or more chips] or just place it back in). that normally helps if for some reason contact is a bit bad.

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
yep vista...
went into task manager processes, 2 main svchost processes but i dont think i can close any of the services, most of them are drivers/system services/network processes. Not sure about dust or how to reseat it though...
Also i cant turn off task scheduler... but it doesnt seem to be using too much memory anyway

Last edited:

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Sounds like something is eating up your CPU.. check the processes tab through ctrl+alt+dlt and see if theres anything with a ridiculously large memory usage. If the file name isn't familiar throw it into google or post it back in this thread. If you don't find anything then it might be overheating or dust maybe?

Single out problems one by one.
Computer normally runs great, has got 2038MB RAM, but last few days has been using about 80% of the RAM constantly, when im only running internet and itunes. Usually runs at about 30% or less. svchost.exe is taking up a lot of memory, but not sure how to fix that, any help?</SPAN>
Not sure about dust or how to reseat it though...
Lappy or PC, Lappy is pretty simple, look on the bottom for a panel and open, you will find a thin green waffer with black ships imbedded on it. Its about the length of your middle thinger and an inch wide. Find out how its removed (Google) and remove it.

With a PC, open up the tower WHILST unplugged. Look for the same thing, but twice as long. Remove them, give it a quick vacuum with a rubber or plastic head and replace.

Weddas

Cooking Up a Storm
HSC
Ah i got an idea,
1. go to "run"
2. type msconfig
3. press continue in Administrator box
4. go to start up tab
5. any software like "java update" or "steam" or "limewire" (basically and shit you dont need to run at startup) un check the box (prosess wont start white booting)

if that does not work then:

Option 1: Defragment (the speeds up computer by orginiseing your files)
Option 2: Disk Check
Option 3: Disk Cleenup
Option 4: Scan computer with Win Defender

Thats all i can think of at the moment.

sorry if that doesent really help

oh DONT USE ANY REGERSTRY CLEENUP PROGRAMS (normally does more harm than good)

Reeweee

HSC
1. Disable any Services that you may not be using need
Right click my computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services
2. Single out any apps Eating memory in task manager
3. Create and run this automated script for memory dump by:
Open up Notepad > Type in MYSTRING=(80000000) > Save the file as MEMORY.VBE
4.Downgrade to to Xp or Linux they're much better options imo.
The responses if get from my friends ask why they want to get vista is for the "Aero" theme
*Sigh.....

- When was the last time you defragged? might wanna take a look into that aswell
And quite possibly but rarely, as post above suggested it may be a Worm or virus thats eating your memory and slowing your overall performance.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)