High Schools results and admission to uni (1 Viewer)

stillthinking

HSC
What percentage of students get selected/admitted to MIT or ANU or other Ivy league uni from James Ruse and North Sydney Boys high?
Is there any website where I can see which high schools have send their students to which uni ?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Are you referring to Melbourne Institute of Technology or Massachussets Institute of Technology? Since you mentioned Ivy, I would normally assume the latter (even though it's not an Ivy), but your inclusion of ANU could potentially suggest the former.

stillthinking

HSC
Sorry to write a confusing statement. I meant massachusetts institute of technology, Australian National university and Ivy League. Thanks

blyatman

HSC
N/A
ANU can't really be placed in the same league as any of those schools lol. Also note that Ivy League is actually a sports league comprising of 8 schools, and the belief that a school is great just because it's Ivy is a widespread misconception. Each school should be evaluated based on their specialty.

To answer your question, I'd say the numbers are extremely low. Firstly, very few even apply for study overseas. Secondly, of those that do, not many would make it in. The reason is because unlike Australian uni's which only consider ATAR, US institutions consider your SAT scores as well as extracirricular activities and how well-rounded of an individual you are. Getting a high SAT isn't very difficult, and once you get above their minimum requirement, they'll look at other things. This means that it makes no difference whether you get a perfect 1600 on the SAT, or a 1550. Once you get a certain mark, they'll look at other things.

The reason why this is important is because most students tend to drop all extracirricular activities in yr11-12 to focus on maximizing their ATAR (after all, that's the only thing you need to get into uni in Australia). So whilst students in NSB and JR might be smart, most of them are purely academic-based (I'm generalising here, of course), and that's not really sufficient UNLESS you have Olympian-level talent.

I have friends who wemt to Cambridge, MIT, Princeton, Harvard, etc, based on academics alone. However, the common denominator was that they were all math Olympians. Also, only one of them came from JR/NSB. While JR and NSB have the highest average performance amongst its students, they don't have a monopoly on olympian-level students.

So I'd say that the percetange of students from JR/NSB who get into top tier US schools is similar to that of any other school, which is very low.

stillthinking

HSC
Hi blaytman, thanks for the info. I see from your profile that you are a teacher, can I direct message you somehow. I am a parent and had way too many questions, which obviously will require me to tell you many personal particulars too. May be a direct chat will help me. Thanks once again.

jjuunnee

HSC
Most would come from private schools tbh - there has been heaps of articles of kids from Redlands, Scots and Shore getting into Ivies. Probably bc they have the money to afford it and also the schools provide the IB

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Hi blaytman, thanks for the info. I see from your profile that you are a teacher, can I direct message you somehow. I am a parent and had way too many questions, which obviously will require me to tell you many personal particulars too. May be a direct chat will help me. Thanks once again.
Feel free to send me a private message me. However, I only teach part-time at a HSC tuition center, so depending on the nature of your question, I don't know how well I'll be able to answer them. If it's regarding how to get into US institutions for undergrad, I don't know many of the specifics. I'm very familiar with admissions into US graduate programs, but not so much undergrad. If you're seeking detailed info about undergrad admissions, it might be more helpful and worthwhile just doing a google search. Nonetheless, feel free to msg me and I'll try my best to answer them.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Probably higher at certain private schools I suspect then at James Ruse etc with regards to American Universities. ANU has lower cut-offs for courses then USYD/UNSW and you can view ATAR requirements for courses on websites such as https://programsandcourses.anu.edu.au/2019/program/BACCT so I suspect if your offspring is interested then they may well be able to get into a course at ANU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)