Higher Chemistry 1a (1 Viewer)

krn_boy

I'm planning to do chemistry at uni this year as it is a pre-requisite. I also am planning to do the GAMSAT post grad medicine test in my final year which requires 1st year chem(wasn't specific) knowledge.

I have the choice to do either Fundamentals of chem or Higher Chem. To anyone that knows, do you think Higher Chem has a significant advantage over fundamental chem for medical science subjects in second year? Also do you think that the chem required in GAMSAT can be covered in fundamental chem?

It's just that I'm worried that Higher Chemistry's difficulty and I'm worried its difficulty might make it awfully hard to pass or receive good grades. (GPA is important factor in post grad medicine process)

On a side note to any B.Med Sci. or B.Sci first year students, if you're doing chem as one of your subjects, are you going to take Higher Chem or Fundamental Chem?

Avicenna

Well it really depends on your HSC chem marks...if you scored between 75-100 in chem then COLA recommends that you do Higehr chem...

Another advantage is that since higehr chem is a relatively harder subject than fundamentals then you would be scaled up much better...e.g. a credit would move up to a distinction and so on...well thats what a 4th year student told me.....

All the best ;)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Its fuken insane. u will give it up in sem2.

I dare you to try though ;) i got HSC chem mark 92 and i am scared of it.

Ac

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
haha scaling? in higher chem? nope but if you fail it and get above 30 then you can get a pass in 1011.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by krn_boy
I'm planning to do chemistry at uni this year as it is a pre-requisite. I also am planning to do the GAMSAT post grad medicine test in my final year which requires 1st year chem(wasn't specific) knowledge.
The chemistry required on the GAMSAT test is called 'Organic Chemistry' which is studied in first year. But i got no idea where it goes under in Funda or Higher chem.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
ummm.. higher chem isn't that scary.. I think it's pretty good ;) I mean.. it doesn't hurt to try does it? You can always change to Fundamental if you don't like it

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
LOL... mito, ever scienceygeeky :) :D

i admire your tenacity and hardwork however :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by mitochondria
ummm.. higher chem isn't that scary.. I think it's pretty good ;) I mean.. it doesn't hurt to try does it? You can always change to Fundamental if you don't like it
No, you can only change in the first month or so of semester (after that you suffer financial, and then academic, penalties). Choose wisely.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
No, you can only change in the first month or so of semester (after that you suffer financial, and then academic, penalties). Choose wisely.
na, i actually heard that u can drop down during semester, coz like they're basically the same course, except that in higher chem/advanced chem. u go into a bit of depth.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It may be different between unis, or there are conditions where the courses are similar etc...

But what I posted is what the universities tell the students.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
It may be different between unis, or there are conditions where the courses are similar etc...

But what I posted is what the universities tell the students.
yeah, i c what u mean...coz say if u wanna change from chem. to biology, then u better do it bfore march the 30th....but as with changing from higher chem to normal chem, then it can b done just bfore ya exams as far as i know. :D

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
actually Higher Chem 1C is almost identical to Chemistry (adv) at Usyd except it doest have enery, enrtopy stuff, instead it incorporates the USyd TSP syllabus...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)