Higher Level Integration Marathon & Questions (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Re: Extracurricular Integration Marathon

Extra question:

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Beat me to it by nine hours :( But my solution involved factorising out the 1/4 so basel's could be seen easily. But my main problem is that I can't get rid of the negative that appears in the series expansion for log(1-x). Here's my solution, which ignores the sign error...

WHERE DID THE MISSING SIGN GO?!?!?!

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Beat me to it by nine hours :( But my solution involved factorising out the 1/4 so basel's could be seen easily. But my main problem is that I can't get rid of the negative that appears in the series expansion for log(1-x). Here's my solution, which ignores the sign error...

WHERE DID THE MISSING SIGN GO?!?!?!

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Minkowski Inequality easily destroys the odd valued cases, but is itself destroyed by the even valued cases.

I hope that's what you meant by inequality, because olympiad inequalities don't look any more viable than brute force.

Drsoccerball

HSC

When we do Cauchy's Integrals what are we supposed to picture in our heads?

seanieg89

HSC

This integral is clearly a prime target for contour integration. (We could factorise into its real quadratic factors, use partial fractions, and integrate the simpler summands, but contour integration seems faster).

Note that since the quartic denominator is both even and real, the poles of the integrand occur at where is an arbitrarily chosen root, say the one in the first quadrant of the the complex plane.

Now if we take a semicircular contour (radius R) with diameter on the real axis centred at the origin, and semicircular arc in the upper half-plane, then the integral around this contour (with positive orientation) is just equal to I, because the integrand decays as 1/R^2, and so the contribution from the curved segment of length O(R) tends to zero.

On the other hand, for sufficiently large R this integral is just equal to

It remains to compute , which is just the principal square root of .

Writing , we get

The resulting biquadratic yields , where is the golden ratio.

Hence

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)