Higher Level Integration Marathon & Questions (2 Viewers)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: Extracurricular Integration Marathon

So is this integral from an IB maths textbook?

leehuan

HSC

Still waiting for my source to reply...

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

We are in the extracurricular marathon, so post a contour integration solution if you do find one.

The slow decay of the integrand again makes things nontrivial (what contour do you suggest?), and the singularity is removable, not a pole so there is no benefit in contouring about it (for the original function, it is a pole of the complexified function, but the problem of slow decay remains).
The classical semicircular contour indented at the origin works for every power series term (Jordan's Lemma) but the problem still remains at bay: How do we justify interchange of summation and integration?

leehuan

HSC

Haven't gotten a proper answer but right now he said some challenge question from "Quizlet"

leehuan

HSC

Nice. So it's not actually IB-related?
My assumption is that it was tagged as an IB challenge question. (That's what he implied at least)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Without invoking the Dilogarithm, or using infinite sums of power series, evaluate

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Is this a year 12 topic?
Integration is a topic in Year 12, however the extent to which it goes is not massive. Even the MX2 Integration Marathon tends to feature questions that are beyond what's examinable in the HSC, let alone the stuff here.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Extracurricular Integration Marathon

There has to be a less potentially dodgy way of doing it, I also thought of expanding out a series in e^(ix) to start with, but I couldn't see any way of justifying that so I left it.

Gotta be careful with these things, because functions/sequences that oscillate and decay but are not absolutely integrable are a common source of counterexamples to otherwise believable claims.
Fourier expansion. Is that less dodgy, or more?

Also something about the Zeta Regularisation technique.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC

Fourier expansion. Is that less dodgy, or more?

Also something about the Zeta Regularisation technique.
Well a power series in e^(ix) IS a Fourier series. The difficulty is in getting a mode of convergence that allows us to commute the limit with the conditionally convergent integral. I did think of an idea that probably deals with it though, and will post it during an afternoon break today if it works.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Well a power series in e^(ix) IS a Fourier series. The difficulty is in getting a mode of convergence that allows us to commute the limit with the conditionally convergent integral. I did think of an idea that probably deals with it though, and will post it during an afternoon break today if it works.
Well the thing I was looking at for Zeta Regularisation was to use the method I used back in the early days of this thread

http://community.boredofstudies.org...ricular-integration-marathon.html#post7092858

But the thing is the justification...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)