Higher Mathematics 1A (1 Viewer)

independantz

HSC
Hey,

For some reason when I attempt to enrol into MATHS1141, there's only 2 tutorials I can choose from and since 2 tuts are required , I have to choose both. However, one of them is a talented students tutorial and it says you need combined marks greater then 189 for mx1 and mx2, however my marks add up to exactly 189, so will they allow me into this tutorial?

If not is there any way I can get into another tutorial as there isnt any other options?

Thanks.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
The person to talk to about that is Daniel Chan.

I've just checked on the class timetable, and there seem to be lots of places available in the other tutorials, so I don't know why you're having trouble enrolling.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
They're not too strict on who gets in the talented tutorial, but you have to be pretty good at math and really have an interest in it.

They tend to skip a lot of the stuff you learn in class because they are trivial and assume you get it, and move on to "more interesting" things, most of which are un-examinable. So only do it if you find math very easy and is interested in learning further, otherwise you're wasting valuable tutorial time where you could be practicing problems that you could be tested on.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I got 93 for 3unit and 91 for 4unit, would i be able to cope?

i don't know, personally i don't find myself that great a mathematician although i enjoy it and love doing it.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC

i don't know, personally i don't find myself that great a mathematician although i enjoy it and love doing it.
stats of a typical MATH1141 student.
my pals got 95+ in ext 1 & 2 did MATH1141 went on to MATH1241 and were fine.
why not go for it?

those however who got around 70 in ext 1 & 2 preferred MATH1131.

BigDk

HSC

why bother unless you are doing a maths major.

do the normal maths is no shame and is challenging in itself, and u will prob end up getting a high CR or a low DN in it if u done 4u maths

Iruka

HSC
N/A

I think enjoyment of mathematics is a very good reason to do 1141 over 1131.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC

I have a friend who got similar marks and got 92 in math1141 and 97 in math1241. You'll do fine.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
news just in - i can't do math1141 because of my timetable clashes :mad:

i guess ill stick to normal math and do moar math to my own accord.

thanks for the opinions! :D

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
news just in - i can't do math1141 because of my timetable clashes :mad:

i guess ill stick to normal math and do moar math to my own accord.

thanks for the opinions! :D
in all honesty, you've got to be a massive nerd to go well in higher maths (for some stupid reason i did higher maths back in 1st yr).

but i realised halfway through first year that i really only cared about getting an engineering degree, and not about pioneering a new field of mathematics :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)