Higher rank, lower mark/lower rank, higher mark (1 Viewer)

karynx

HSC
Oh my goodness please just clear this up for me I really have no clue how ranks and stuff work

I'm going to drop either modern or legal for next year, yr 12. Which one should I drop for a better atar based on final prelim results:
Modern: 89, 6th
Legal: 84, 3rd

My school is not the smartest but I'm okay, so I guess my question is do my school ranks even matter when the top mark is low...and I rank high? Since other school will have higher overall marks and thus rankings?? Pls advise, reprimand my ignorance I guess, sorry if q has been asked b4, also I don't know where to put it

braintic

HSC
N/A
Oh my goodness please just clear this up for me I really have no clue how ranks and stuff work

I'm going to drop either modern or legal for next year, yr 12. Which one should I drop for a better atar based on final prelim results:
Modern: 89, 6th
Legal: 84, 3rd

My school is not the smartest but I'm okay, so I guess my question is do my school ranks even matter when the top mark is low...and I rank high? Since other school will have higher overall marks and thus rankings?? Pls advise, reprimand my ignorance I guess, sorry if q has been asked b4, also I don't know where to put it
There is not enough information to answer your question. You will have to find what marks people at your school who got those ranks received in previous years, then use ATAR scaling information to see which is better.

Even then that will be pretty hit and miss. I suggest you just choose the subject you like best or will find most useful in the future.

HSC
You really can't tell which ones get scaled better because it differs from year to year. I would say that it would be easier for you to obtain a band 6 in legal then modern even though I don't do modern myself but I assume it's the same as ancient where it can be pretty unpredictable whereas legal studies is just content you all you need to do is know the content and appropriate cases and legislation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)