Highlighting/underlining key words in exam essays? (1 Viewer)

Daikaio

HSC
My PDHPE teachers always tell their classes to highlight/underline the key topics in their essays. So, for example, when writing about the National Health Priority Areas we highlight the words CVD, Cancer, Injury, Diabetes, Nature of Problem, Extent of Problem, etc.

My history teacher, who is an experienced HSC marker but has never marked PDHPE, says that we should not highlight/underline in our essays. My PDHPE teachers are fairly new to the subject (about 3-4 years experience) and have never done HSC marking.

I just wanted to know if anyone else is told to highlight/underline the key points. I'm kinda confused about it and I'm not sure whether I should or not.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
HSC
kinda pointless question . from the many questions one could ask in their 1st post and you ask about underlining in an exam .. what eva tickles your bumhole .

but personally in PDHPE yes in exams i underline important/relievant peices of the question therefore enabling myself to match wording with syllabus etc.

e.g how is CVD identified in Aust. and outline how it has been effectively addressed by government responses.

i wont underline ...

how is CVD identified in Aust. and outline how it has been effectively addressed by government responses.

therefore talk about :
- CVD
- indentifying it - social justice prin. , prevalence of condition etc.
- government responses - e.g fed and state - better health outcomes 1994 (ithnk )

hope it helps your rather simple question .

Daikaio

HSC
It would seem that my question has been slightly misunderstood...See, it's not an issue of whether I should highlight/underline the key points in the question, it's whether I should highlight/underline the key points in my response/essay.

So, following on from your example -
How is CVD identified in AUS? How has it been addressed by government responses?

When talking about CVD, I'm told to highlight/underline the key points in my RESPONSE, not the question itself. So, in my response, "CVD has been identified in Australia by blah blah blah...the government has addressed this by the following responses like the Ottawa Charter, Jakarta Declaration...blah blah blah"

I'm supposed to highlight/underline CVD, Ottawa Charter, etc. The important points in my response.

Are you instructed to do this by your teacher? That is all I am asking, 'cause my history teacher believes that highlighting tends to annoy markers more than anything.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i don't do PD/H/PE but different subjects like to do things differently eg. in my geography essays they tell us to do things like that and past examples do the same. So you maybe should, really they can't mark you down for it, but really frown upon it so on the safe side if you do mark things just underline cause your exam tells you to use black or blue pen.

Daikaio

HSC
Fair point on the use of blue and black pen. If I do choose to draw attention to my key points in the essay I'll be sure to underline from now on. :) Thanks for your opinion, much appreciated :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It depends on how much you underline as well. No more than 2-3 per paragraph really. And even then, you don't really need it. Don't highlight though. It makes your paper look messy and 'unscholarly'.

kara42

HSC
We are told to highlight/underline key words in the QUESTION but not in the answer. Same with all subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)