Hildegard of Bingen? (1 Viewer)

tallicachild

HSC
Anyone else studying this ridiculous option for their Christianity important person?

I have an assessment on her next Friday, and I really don't understand what contribution she made to Christianity .. at all. Like, as far as I understand, she wrote some books and wrote some letters to Popes ... how does this relate to the development of Christianity?

This is driving me crazy! If nayone studied her or is doing her now and has notes or anything that can help me, it would be so greatly appreciated!

amyrowe

HSC
you're crazy...think about how she developed social equality in the church in terms of the rights of women...and also how she developed the cultural spheres of christianity: writing, literature, art etc..
seriously she's so so relevant, most of my class found this topic one of the easiest to do!!!
hope I helped you out a bit.

tallicachild

HSC
oh thanks heaps. i think my lack of understanding is due to my teacher, and school not teaching it properly. we spent all lesson today analysing her artwork, and as this doesn't really relate to what the syllabus asks of us...yeah just a bit frustrated.

so basically her contribution relates to how she was a feminist and stuff? because through her writings she brought up the issue of inequality?
i dont really understand the cultural spheresp oint...is that just like, she helped the church with expression through those means e.g. music, literature?

thanks heaps for your help btw.

Ender09

HSC
Hildegard of Bingen is NOT a feminist, you are placing your 21st century context upon an 11th century christian nun who would have had no concept of what is meant to have gender equality, let alone for her to advocate it. Do not write that she is a feminist and promoted gender equality.
Her contributions fall into three main spheres: art, nature, religion. If you study her contributions to art, nature and religion in her context, as well as her continuing effect, you will be fine.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)