His Ext Major Work - 2013 (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The restriction is that the topic can't 'significantly overlap any examinable syllabus' so doing something from the preliminary course is fine.

Lina3

HSC
Just a question: Since many of you would have probably at least done your first draft, how many historians did you refer to? I was lucky enough to have picked a topic with countless of wonderful sources of all kinds (not only books but movies, interviews, poetry, plays, historical fiction etc), but now I am unsure as to whether I should have toned it down a bit. My topic deals with changing interpretations regarding the value of Tsar Peter I's reforms, so I've had almost 300 years worth of sources to deal with.

bhsrepresent

HSC
Anyone have any ideas as to what to look at if I'm viewing democracy and civil liberty? That is, an alternative view of democracy; how individual/ collective rights can and have been violated under democratic systems?

kvothe

HSC
Just a question: Since many of you would have probably at least done your first draft, how many historians did you refer to? I was lucky enough to have picked a topic with countless of wonderful sources of all kinds (not only books but movies, interviews, poetry, plays, historical fiction etc), but now I am unsure as to whether I should have toned it down a bit. My topic deals with changing interpretations regarding the value of Tsar Peter I's reforms, so I've had almost 300 years worth of sources to deal with.
Don't do too many, just 2-4 main ones, preferably who have different viewpoints. You can support these 'main historians' with glancing reference to others if you want, but don't go overboard or else it will get very cluttered. 2500 words is a very short essay when you have basically 8 months worth of info and sources that you could use to support it!

Lina3

HSC
Anyone have any ideas as to what to look at if I'm viewing democracy and civil liberty? That is, an alternative view of democracy; how individual/ collective rights can and have been violated under democratic systems?
Not sure...maybe begin with looking at historians' insights into the limitations of democracy in Ancient Athens?

@kvothe: I divided mine into four main 'eras' of opinion and discussed the schools of thought and contextual influences that changed the opinions of historians (supported by relevant examples, of course). Is that still ok? When starting my research I just felt that focusing on a few main historians would not have given me a complete enough picture, and I am within the word limit (well, 2729 words which is still less than 10% over).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)