Historiography Quotes (1 Viewer)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
There is truth in history, obviously. For example, we can say with certainty there was a WW1 and a WW2. But you're right, I don't think there has ever been such as thing as an impartial Historian.

I remember when I did Elizabeth as my Hx Ex topic. Everything we read that was produced by British historians during her time painted her as a formidable and striking woman. Portraits of her show this dominate and whilst not attractive, somewhat charismatic woman. But if you go on to read about her childhood you would know she suffered from smallpox as a child. Accounts from the Spanish substantiate this story because they describe her as having poc marks on her face.
She also lived to be 67 yet I think there is only 1 portrait of her that shows any aging, she appears almost ethereal in all of the portraits.

So yeah, there is no doubt Elizabeth lived. There is no doubt she did the things she did, but the actual woman will remain a completel mystery to most of us, beause all we have to go by are inaccurate and biased accounts of her personality.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Like most people have said, it reaffirms the relativist stance. It goes back to what Keith Jenkins said: since the gap between 'history' and the 'past' cannot be bridged, the two should be clearly differentiated. The past is what actually happened, it can't be retrieved. History is an attempt by historians and individuals alike to construct a version or "interpretation" on what actually happened.

So when they say "history, is based on a true story", it implicitly means that "History, is based on the past [true story]".

Cam O

HSC
Kujah said:
Like most people have said, it reaffirms the relativist stance. It goes back to what Keith Jenkins said: since the gap between 'history' and the 'past' cannot be bridged, the two should be clearly differentiated. The past is what actually happened, it can't be retrieved. History is an attempt by historians and individuals alike to construct a version or "interpretation" on what actually happened.

So when they say "history, is based on a true story", it implicitly means that "History, is based on the past [true story]".
well put man couldn't have said it any better myself. But I still like the quote and I'm gonna use it in my trial, just representing the fact that history is a mere representation, likened to movies that are supposed to be 'based on a true story'. Could come in handy

romancandle

HSC
"History? Its just one f*cking thing after the other."

From the film The History Boys. A must see for all extension history students!

kirankiza

HSC
i read the first post of this thread and i blanched thinking ive lost a week or something and the history extension exams this arvo and then i realised its still the middle of the holidays and this HSC thing might be getting to me.. like seriously almost had a heart attack before i logically looked at the date.. 4 nov.. 2005.. lol but really i think i should say something with relevance to the post.. uhm some one once told me that history extension markes love this quote "primacy of primary sources" or something of the like i cant really remember which is not a good thing now that i think about it... really the HSC is so overrated.

katie21792

HSC
of all the subjects i'm doing i'm freaking out about history extension the most. to whoever made the first post with all the quotes i thank you soooooo much! awesome effort :) any tips or advice for someone who's just started the course?

Galladrim

HSC
My favorite history quote

(History) "really happened, and we really can, if we are very scrupulous and careful and self-critical ... reach some tenable though always less than final conclusions about what it all meant."

R.J. Evans

Stelleee

HSC
Time to die, I know hardly anything on "what is history"...my teacher taught us nothing...freaking out...

Stelleee

HSC
I can't get to your What is History blog either - I live in a boarding school and the internet is blocking it!! Why does my life suck?

coll09

HSC
Hey, is it ok if you define relativist and empiricist

Davian Thule

Cyber Security Student
HSC
These are actually extremely useful, however does anyone have any more seeing this forum is 9 years old?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)