History and Memory (1 Viewer)

nush25

HSC
Does anyone have any brilliant ideas for the related texts to Smithsonian Website?
i have my hsc in like 4 days and i really need help.

blackbooks

HSC
I'm using 'The Rabbits' by Shaun Tan and John Marsden. It's a picture book about the colonisation of Australia from the Aboriginal's perspective, and it's fantastic!

Just use something that shows aspects of both History and Memory, and shows the interplay and individual aspects respectively, just as the Smithsonian website claims to do (although all I can see is patriotic nonsense).

Try these:
The Rabbits by Shaun Tan and John Marsden (Book)

The Odyssey by Homer (Poem)

Gallipoli by Peter Weir (Film, 1981)

I was only 19 by Redgum (Song)

Hope this helps!

jane bubble

HSC
Just use something that shows aspects of both History and Memory, and shows the interplay and individual aspects respectively, just as the Smithsonian website claims to do (although all I can see is patriotic nonsense).
I don't understand what we are actually suppose to discuss for this module? Okay, a text has both elements of history and memory...now what? What am I suppose to argue in my essay? At school, our assesment focused on how history is not reliable, but looking at the past papers, the direction of the essays is quite broad and generally want a discussion of how both result in a deeper meaningBut where do i lead my argument?!?!?I did the film Malcolm X as a related text, but I have a feeling that its not that great of a related text...

blackbooks

HSC
I think most people are going into this topic with the same problems, myself included! You've said it yourself, it is such a broad question, there's really no straight-forward answer.

Here's what I've taken away from it all, I'm not saying it's right but I hope it helps!

History needs Memory and Memory needs History. One can't exist without the other. History will always be influenced in some way by memory and vice versa. History will always claim to be more accurate then human memories, as it is recorded fact, but memory will always include the actual feelings and emotions of that event.
The problem with the Smithsonian website though is that it's too one sided. It shows a lot of bias and a lot of memory, but not as many historical facts. Sure it has pictures and videos and external links, but the main content of the website itself is based on memory. The title of the opening page is even 'Remembrance and Reflection'!

I think our arguments have to say something like without memory, there is no history and without memory, history doesn't make sense. We'll have to try to show that the Smithsonian website shows this, and find a related text that explores the interplay and individuality of the two! Then on top of all that information, we'll have to link it back into the question, and make it relevant.
The module itself is looking at Representation in texts, so what we really need to do is explore the representation of the September 11 attacks through the Smithsonian website, AND do the same with the event our related text and show the similarities between the two.

Hope this helps, and if not check out the link below. Good luck!

http://cherylsenglishspace.wikispaces.com/HSC+Adv+Mod+C+History+&+Memory

nush25

HSC
I'm using 'The Rabbits' by Shaun Tan and John Marsden. It's a picture book about the colonisation of Australia from the Aboriginal's perspective, and it's fantastic!

Try these:
The Rabbits by Shaun Tan and John Marsden (Book)

The Odyssey by Homer (Poem)

Gallipoli by Peter Weir (Film, 1981)

I was only 19 by Redgum (Song)

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much :) really appreciate your help! hope you do well in HSC :) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)