History & Memory - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

kandaii

HSC
Does anyone have any suggestions for related texts for History and Memory?? I'm completely stuck!!

martin_87

help me 2!!

Hey im another person who sux at the momment. Im doing the devils arithematic the movie on the holocost with kirstn dunst. Really good movie if anyone else finds any let me noe!!

Hobbsee

HSC
I'm stuck with doing this module as well...and i hate it!

Anyway, there's sometimes stuff in the newspaper (including the online news), so check google (hit the news tab), stick in history and memory, and sift through the results to see if any of it is useful...

I found a website all about the jews...particularly an article about holocaust art, history and memory, which was really useful - i'm about to use it again to write the holiday homework essay on it (1 of 4 - yuck!)

Anyway, the website is http://www.myjewishlearning.com/ - there are probably heaps of stuff there if you look hard enough...

Sofie Sauniere

HSC
We just finished History and Memory last term, and I used Eloisa to Abelard by Alexander Pope (long, but worth it) and Memento Mori by Jonathan Nolan. Handy if you're using Memento as central text, even better if you're not. I know some people used a novel called The Blind Assassin, and The Sound of One Hand Clapping. Haven't read them though, but just a suggestion. ^^

bonniejjj

HSC
My class is studying "Memento" directed by Christopher Nolan as our central text.

For related texts I'm using
1. The Exploratorium Museum Website (specifically the 'Memory Artist' page)
>> (Brief synopsis from my schools English website)
Explore how our Memory works at this site, it is advertising and promoting an exhibition at the Exploratorium Museum located in the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco, the exhibition remains as a website which is an interactive program designed to educate, entertain and spark curiosity regardless of your age or familiarity with science. This site was designed to coincide with an event at the museum in 1999, the site has remained active as an information site about memory. You can use this site as a supplementary text for your study of the History and Memory elective. Remember you will need to clearly demonstrate how the medium of the web represents memory. You need to identify the features of the website and explain how memory is represented. The site also provides memory links to an exhibition and lectures on the function of memory.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/memory/index.html

2. Sacks, Oliver
The Man who Mistook His Wife for a Hat
and other clinical tales
Chapters 2 & 12 deal with real-life cases of patients with Anterograde amnesia (which is what the protagonist Leonard has in "Memento.")

3. "Mao's Last Dancer"
by Li Cunxin
Looking at an individual's perspective of the cultural revolution.

I have lots of other notes on History and Memory from research I've done, but the links are saved on the school network, so I might post them in the week sometime...

nerd_it_up

HSC
H&M reated texts

Hey,
Our class did H&M and focused on The Fiftieth Gate - I reckon its heaps easy to find supp. texts related to the memories and the history of the Holocaust - my personal favourite is a film called 'The Believer' about a Neo-Nazi who is actually a Jewish teen trying to hide his Jewish heritage. The film sheds light on a different response to the horror and pain of the Holocaust - the ending is really cool as the protagonists mindset is challenged by an elderly Jewish man who had to watch his 3-yr old son b impaled on a bayonet the protagonist is so infuriated with the elderly mans inability to do anything - u can relate this to the 50th Gate in that Baker dresses up as Hitler for a dress-up party, not taking into account the harshness of his actions towards his parents memories of the Holocaust. - the film just basically shows how damaging it is t separate history from memory - and its one of my favourite films. Im so glad we did this module - it gave me back my love for english!

canisay_Elvis

Elvisite
HSC
N/A
nerd_it_up said:
Hey,
Our class did H&M and focused on The Fiftieth Gate - I reckon its heaps easy to find supp. texts related to the memories and the history of the Holocaust - my personal favourite is a film called 'The Believer' about a Neo-Nazi who is actually a Jewish teen trying to hide his Jewish heritage. The film sheds light on a different response to the horror and pain of the Holocaust - the ending is really cool as the protagonists mindset is challenged by an elderly Jewish man who had to watch his 3-yr old son b impaled on a bayonet the protagonist is so infuriated with the elderly mans inability to do anything - u can relate this to the 50th Gate in that Baker dresses up as Hitler for a dress-up party, not taking into account the harshness of his actions towards his parents memories of the Holocaust. - the film just basically shows how damaging it is t separate history from memory - and its one of my favourite films. Im so glad we did this module - it gave me back my love for english!
Hey there!

I was thinking of doing the believer as a text for History and memory ( I do Pathways and so we are on;ly just doing history and memory) just wanted to know if you would reccomend it... (Also, Go the Blue Mountains!! I'm From Lawson :p)

I was also thinking about rabbit proof fence, the movie wonderland and 'i was only 19' by John Williamson... has anyone done any of these??

Thanks!

Rosie

like_a_rose

like_a_rose
HSC
About related texts

Hi,
i read an article about related texts for the history and memory module and specifically related to history and memory it said that it would be better to choose texts that didn't relate to the event being studied (ie. the Holocaust) i was under the impression that the related texts had to be about this event, and then i find out they don't, in fact it would be better so that the focus of the representation of history and memory wouldn't be confused with the representation of the event being studied. what do you guys know about this?

rama_v

HSC
like_a_rose123 said:
Hi,
i read an article about related texts for the history and memory module and specifically related to history and memory it said that it would be better to choose texts that didn't relate to the event being studied (ie. the Holocaust) i was under the impression that the related texts had to be about this event, and then i find out they don't, in fact it would be better so that the focus of the representation of history and memory wouldn't be confused with the representation of the event being studied. what do you guys know about this?
They dont all have to be about the holocaust, you could do anything else thats related to history and memory..Helps to add more depth to the study I think

nwatts

HSC
Akira Kurosawa's 'Rashomon'.

I strongly advise you look for this film and watch it. I don't do History & Memory, but I have the feeling it'd be perfect.

canisay_Elvis

Elvisite
HSC
N/A
like_a_rose123 said:
Hi,
Hey there!

The texts don't have to be about any particular event - you can have all on one event, or all seperate. it is howeever, better to have them on different events because it shows that you understand the topic over a broad range of subjects... my teacher advised us to have different historical events, but said it doesn't really matter if we don't... the choice is yours!

Rosie

shellibear

HSC
Hi,

I have had to study this module as well and my class has done 50th Gate - only problem is my school has suxed in the english department this year. We have learnt pretty much nothing in regards to 50th Gate and King Lear (due to bad teachers and teachers leaving etc.) I was just wondering if anyone could help me out as i'm reali stuck. I have had a look on the internet and there does not seem to be anything much on 50th Gate! So if anyone could help me out it would be reali appreciated.

Thanks,

Michelle

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
i heard we needed 2 related texts for this module. i suggest if anyone is still stuck, go to google and type in a specific war and find an article, about a victim or a soldier or something.

shizz8806

HSC
Hey all,
I've got my assessments coming up and for "Hist & Mem" and our core text is "the Fiftieth Gate". The related text I'm thinking of using is Roberto Benigni's "Life is Beautiful". It's based on the Holocaust and I don't know whether it is better to choose something that does not relate to the Holocaust...So some feedback would be much APPRECIATED!:)

If there are ANY suggestions, feel free to name them! My assessments are dangerously near...:S

:wave:

HSC
shizz8806 said:
Hey all,
I've got my assessments coming up and for "Hist & Mem" and our core text is "the Fiftieth Gate". The related text I'm thinking of using is Roberto Benigni's "Life is Beautiful". It's based on the Holocaust and I don't know whether it is better to choose something that does not relate to the Holocaust...So some feedback would be much APPRECIATED!:)

If there are ANY suggestions, feel free to name them! My assessments are dangerously near...:S
Hey,

My teacher said not to use "Life is Beautiful" because it's on the list for some other topic. I don't remember exactly but she said not to use it because the examiner's might get confused?

We go to the same school, but double check with your teacher anyway.

In regards to it being related to the Holocaust, it doesn't have to be. Some people think it's better for it not to be so you can show a wider variety of knowledge. But it doesn't matter.

I'm so stuffed for these assessments. H & M is a biatch. I don't have a supp text! I might just have to do a website or something. This oral is stuffed. My friend's doing "The Last Days"... for anyone in other schools who might want to use that documentary as material.

mizbe

HSC
http://www.holocaustsurvivors.org

try using that site as a text. i'm using it for my assessment on 50th gate tomorrow.
(hopefully i can pull it off)

it is great for all the his&mem stuff, the only problem i guess is the medium (website), but if you can analyse the relevant techniques well - then its an awesome related text.

T-Boner

HSC
damn, paper 2 is at 9am tomorrow.

do you think iv left it a bit late to find a second related text for H&M?

hahahahaah faaaaaaaaaaark i hate english

nezuki

HSC
OMG! I have my trial paper 2 for english as well tomorrow! Its at 8.30am, I hate History and Memory- big pain! I just find the set text boring and this what makes it hard. Yeah well Im cramming

superbri

HSC
Anyone visit the Jewish Musem in Sydney? That's what I'm using for my related material! Our class did watch some movie as related material, but I was off for 2 weeks with chickenpox, so I just have to go with the Jewish Museum.

lisa45

HSC
our prescribed text was 'true history of the kelly gang' so i went for an aussie theme for texts and chose 'rabbit proof fence' the movie and 'i was only 19' the song. i found heaps of good stuff on both of them and ound them very easy to understand and examine. 2nd english paper tomoro so ill see how they go!
happy days...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)