• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Hitler 1929-1933 (1 Viewer)

HSC
im doing an essay on hitlers rise to power from 29 to 33.
ive got the
-wall street crash/ economic struggle,
-hindienburgs stupidity
-nazi policy (for everyone)
- hitler leadership qualites.

can you think of any other reasons he came to power in 1933?

Last edited:

rama_v

HSC
Teh role of the industralists/cartels (basically big businesses willing to suport hitler)
The political manoevring by von papen and Schleicher
Weaknesses of Weimar Constitution

HSC
Hey i had a similar qn in my half yearly, although it was focussed on the 1918-1929 events and issues that led to hitler taking power.
From memory i had-
Treaty of Versailles: people were still angry about its harsh terms and look for someone to blame ('November Criminals', 'stab in the back' theory). Hitler appealed to the nationalistic values of the people by intending to put Germany back in her 'rightful' position in the world.
Weaknesses of Weimar constitution (its foundation on shaky grounds... generally speaking. Article 22: led to weak coalition government that really only accepted compromise because of stresemann, so when he died in Oct 1929...; Article 48: right to suspend civil liberties, always going to be a problem when you have a leader opposed to democracy)
Events and circumstances post-war led to a weakening in the peoples faith in democracy and the Republic (hyperinflation, unemployment, virtual economic collapse, starvation, just generally crappy conditions. The Kapp Putsch, Munich Putsch and Keil Mutiny are all examples of civilians being dissatisfied with the governments process in putting Germany back on her feet, and taking matters into their own hands)
Intellectuals were circulating non-democratic materials, again weakening the publics' confidence in democracy.

I guess just the general point is that the crappy conditions the germans were in post-war, and the Weimar's failure to do much to combat them, led to the disillusionment of the people. Subsequently, voting patterns changed.. initially towards the conservative parties, but when they failed to produce what they wanted, they went to the more extreme nationalist parties who seemingly supported the goals of the people in promoting a better society and reparing germany's superior position in the world. Hitler appealed to what people felt they needed, making them trust him entirely (-->Fuhrerprinzip). Once he had their loyalty, he could do as he pleased in the role of Fuehrer, with little accountabilty required.

that's all I can really remember, hope its useful.

Last edited:

rama_v

HSC
DementedDonkey said:
I guess just the general point is that the crappy conditions the germans were in post-war, and the Weimar's failure to do much to combat them, led to the disillusionment of the people.
You would have to reemmeber that Weimar Governments indeed did TRY to combat the problems but they were stopped because of the system of parliament adn because of the class system in Germany at the time as well as the lack of tradition in terms of democracy. Because voting was done by proportional representation no party could gain a majority and implement its policies.

You would also have to look into the role of the army Generals, especially after 1928 and General von Seeckt and the deliberate attempts to undermine the Weimar Government from within (e.g. forming a Black Reichswehr). Also remember that any changes by the Weimar government were resisted by the civil service, judges and teachers who were from the middle and upper classes that resented the democrats gaining power (and so they circulated the stab in the back legend).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)