hmm... (1 Viewer)

George121

HSC
If a course requires 81.04 entry, and i get 80-81, would i miss out?

Hoangsta

HSC
are u retarded?
if the course requires 81.04, then u must get that, or greater.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Not necessarily. I know of stories of people getting in with less than the minimum mark posted for that year. There was a SMH article on universities jacking up entrance marks.

Hoangsta

HSC
well theoretically he wont get in.
but stuff like course demand for that year, number of applicants, bonus points etc.... need to be considered.
but talking from a pre hsc result context, this retarded OP must get 81.04 ( unless he gets 5 bonus points for his condition?)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
well theoretically he wont get in.but stuff like course demand for that year, number of applicants, bonus points etc.... need to be considered.but talking from a pre hsc result context, this retarded OP must get 81.04 ( unless he gets 5 bonus points for his condition?)
Nope. I know personally of two people who have gotten in with 1 or 2 points beneath the published cut off for that year.

George121

HSC
Woo i want to go to Macquarie and the guy who established that article is from Macquarie

i feel happier now

Hoangsta

HSC
Nope. I know personally of two people who have gotten in with 1 or 2 points beneath the published cut off for that year.
well this obv was due to something...maybe higher priority for getting a band 5/6 in XXXXXor for living in XXXXXmaybe they needed to fill spaces, so dropped the cut off mark

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
well this obv was due to something...maybe higher priority for getting a band 5/6 in XXXXXor for living in XXXXXmaybe they needed to fill spaces, so dropped the cut off mark
Yes, due to inflated entrance marks. If what you're proposing was the case, then they would have simply published a lower cut off mark for that particular year.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Isn't that just saying that the published cut-offs are for people who gained entry straight into a degree program without needing the bonus points?
UNIVERSITIES are artificially inflating their entrance scores as a marketing ploy to lift the status of their courses and are then accepting lower-scoring applicants, says the architect of the university entry score system in NSW.The technique allows students with lower results to get into prestigious courses without achieving the required university admissions index cut-off.In a surprisingly candid entry on a Macquarie University blog site, George Cooney, the chairman of the NSW committee responsible for calculating the UAI, said some universities were admitting a high proportion of students well below the advertised entry cut-off marks for some courses.
I think the implication is that people are getting in with lower ATARS regardless of whether they qualify for bonus points.

Hoangsta

HSC
Yes, due to inflated entrance marks. If what you're proposing was the case, then they would have simply published a lower cut off mark for that particular year.
*sigh* azure bby, u cant get into a course without meeting the atar requirements ( atpit)butif OP gets a band 6 in a particular subject, lives in a disadvantaged area, has family issues,medical conditions, or is indigenous.. then they will get in without meeting the atar requirements due to those stated conditions ( and more..).

George121

HSC
If i get an ATAR of 90 with bonus points, and someone gets 90 without bonus points.. would they get more priority? (just using 90 as an example)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
*sigh* azure bby, u cant get into a course without meeting the atar requirements ( atpit)butif OP gets a band 6 in a particular subject, lives in a disadvantaged area, has family issues,medical conditions, or is indigenous.. then they will get in without meeting the atar requirements due to those stated conditions ( and more..).
Lol why are you telling me what can and can't be done? I've completed the HSC many years ago and I'm familiar with the process. I'm telling you that two people I know got into their course without any extenuating circumstances and there is a published news article reinforcing this.In what year did you complete the HSC?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I like how everyone is arguing over fine points but have completely missed that the cutoff the OP has posted is fictitious and a possible troll. All ATARS and cutoffs are in .05 multiples. Anyway OP it depends largely on what course and uni this is at and if there are possible bonus marks.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the implication is that people are getting in with lower ATARS regardless of whether they qualify for bonus points.
But if the ATAR cut-off is supposed to represent the ATAR of the successful last applicant, then can't that be artificially raised by not disclosing those which used bonus points (ergo "artificially raising it")? I'm more inclined to believe that the sentence was poorly worded as the article is essentially discussing the usage of alternative entry schemes.
SMH said:
The managing director of the Universities Admissions Centre, Andrew Stanton, said NSW universities had increased the transparency of their alternative entry requirements. "Nobody pretends the UAI is the only criteria that should be used," he said.
I can't see anything in the article stating that applicatants are being accepted on a whim.

Hoangsta

HSC
Lol why are you telling me what can and can't be done? I've completed the HSC many years ago and I'm familiar with the process. I'm telling you that two people I know got into their course without any extenuating circumstances and there is a published news article reinforcing this.In what year did you complete the HSC?
it's all a trap.and 06 m8. wbu?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)