Holiday advise?? (1 Viewer)

Sushi1998

HSC
Hey guys, I'm doing my HSC this year and as its holidays right now can anyone please suggest what things should I take in note like in terms of studies what are the things I need to be doing this holidays. Like I've done my notes but what else?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Study, do past papers, learn on the internet/watch youtube videos, go to HSC seminars, get a private tutor..Not sure what else

bangali

HSC
Now you can actually a) learn the notes and b) put them into practise.

There's heaps of ways to learn the notes, like:
- rewriting them (updating, reorganising and improving, I mean)
- reading a section and then summarising it verbally in your own words
- flashcards (like Anki)
- turning it into a list of questions (e.g. if your notes are about 'Methods of studying', you'd ask the question 'List four methods of studying' and try answering that closed book)
- drawing it or turning it into a poster
- recording yourself reading them and listen
etc.

To practise them, try practise questions in your textbook for maths, relevant questions from past HSC papers or trials, or writing for English.

If you hit anything you don't quite get, Google it and read relevant articles and watch youtube/Khan academy videos. Take notes from these as you go.

No need for a tutor - you can actually learn the stuff on your own! :p

You've read your texts for English, I guess? And written notes on characters, themes, techniques, quotes etc.? Reading your text is really really important.

rawrliongirl

HSC
I guess you should start looking over your notes and refining them as well as trying to answer some questions? I dunno, I was never this organised and didn't do jack shit till after half yearlies. I remember spending my summer holidays playing skyrim and wallowing in self pity.
Man I wish I were that organised hahah. But I suppose if you start to do something now you'll have tons of time to make your answers really good by the time trials and HSC roll around.
Also, write practice essays. Expose yourself to different questions. Start coming up with ideas for your creative as well. I literally made mine up the day before trials and for the HSC came up with an entirely new idea on the spot. I can't believe I did that. It probably sucked really badly.

dinomyte

HSC
I'm going to say something extra apart from obviously telling you to study - Set solid goals. If you have an ATAR goal, start figuring out how you're gonna get there.

This means all the practical finnicky stuff. Look at the ranking for your school, find out how many band 6s your school got in the previous years. Figure out what you need to rank to get a band 6 in your school. Think about how your subjects scale - do you need a band 6 for this subject to reach your goal or is it OK with a band 5?

Your school should have given you an assessment schedule for all your subjects with all the assessment weightings. Look at what mark you need to get to maintain a good rank, and estimate a ranking goal. Set goals for throughout the year, both short-term and long-term (long-term goals may change as you go through the year).

Evaluate the subjects where you're weaker or stronger. If you're really falling behind on one subject, and if you're open to it, you may want to organise a tutor. Holidays is a good time to try out some tutors, see who is a good fit for you. And for the weaker subjects generally, figure out what you need to do so that you can catch up.

Anyways, I suggest this because it's nice to have a clear idea of where you're going at the very start of the HSC year.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
What my a kid in my Economics class did to score a school assessment mark of 98 was to split up past exams into different sections. For example. Before our test on Globalisation he did every single globalisation question from past HSC (e.g. 2011 question 23 or something). I recommend planning how you are going to study for every single assessment task so you can get the best possible internal mark (greater than you might possibly deserve even). If you can put organise what you are going to do once you the learnt the course work, that sounds like a great idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)