Homosexuality and ACU (1 Viewer)

prier

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm considering doing a BA at ACU but I'm a little apprehensive about going to a Catholic university because I'm gay. I have no problem with Catholicism, I actually used to be a devout Catholic until a few years ago but I'd be slightly worried if the student body held something against me because I'm gay.

Are there lots of conservative Catholics at ACU? Or many gay people at ACU?

Thanks guys :)

prier

HSC
Oh, I'll be going to the Melbourne campus by the way.

HSC
You'll be fine I am sure. A gay friend of mine goes to Notre Dame, which is also a catholic university. Not everyone at ACU would be a devout catholic.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
you will be fine there are gay people at acu and are treated just like everyone else, well i know that is the case at strathfield anyway

caramallow

HSC
yeah honestly its no big deal. I hardly ever see anyone in the chapel at melbourne ACU and the school is very open and accepting of diversity

GAYCU

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm considering doing a BA at ACU but I'm a little apprehensive about going to a Catholic university because I'm gay. I have no problem with Catholicism, I actually used to be a devout Catholic until a few years ago but I'd be slightly worried if the student body held something against me because I'm gay.

Are there lots of conservative Catholics at ACU? Or many gay people at ACU?

Thanks guys :)
There are just as many gay people at ACU as in the general community. Their profile is perhaps a little lower as many are doing teaching and want to work in Catholic system.

There are "conservative" Catholics but in general they're not bad people and aren't going to call down fire and brimstone on you :)

As far as general student body, not much more homophobia than in the general community. If you're on facebook, you can chat to me more by friending facebook.com/gaycu or join the group "Friends of gAyCU".

ohne

HSC
Generally speaking ACU is pretty secular...

Notre Dame University would be more Catholic than ACU....

Personally would prefer Notre Dame...

Melody

HSC
N/A
I didn't know there was a hierarchy of "more Catholic" :p

ACU is a public university and as such it is, and should be, welcoming and compassionate to all people. That doesn't make it "less" Catholic or in any way less "authentic", in my view it strengthens what we are about.

To the OP and anyone else considering ACU, it is a fantastic place to study and I'm sure you'll love it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)