Homosexuality in Australia (14 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I thought it was a beautiful sentiment for the gehys?
CHASTITY!
OBEY

Legal Hustle

HSC
Last time I remember, it was man insert penis into female = baby...but man and man equal what? AIDS, limp wrist, funny hair, funny voice,funny clothes.

bawd

HSC
Legal Hustle said:
Last time I remember, it was man insert penis into female = baby...but man and man equal what? AIDS, limp wrist, funny hair, funny voice,funny clothes.
HIV/AIDS started because a human being had sex with an ape, not because a man fell in love with another man.

Homosexuality/Bisexuality =/= Funny voice, funny clothes + whatever bullshit the media seem to assert and most definitely does not equal AIDS.

You've got to move past such stupid, hurting and potentially (in this case, definitely) inaccurate stereotypes of groups of people because you are not bothered to judge people as individuals.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
bawd said:
HIV/AIDS started because a human being had sex with an ape, not because a man fell in love with another man.

Homosexuality/Bisexuality =/= Funny voice, funny clothes + whatever bullshit the media seem to assert and most definitely does not equal AIDS.

You've got to move past such stupid, hurting and potentially (in this case, definitely) inaccurate stereotypes of groups of people because you are not bothered to judge people as individuals.
lol

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
bawd said:

WOAH STOP THERE.

HIV/AIDS was transferred into humans in about 1920-1930, when the Simian Immunodeficiency Virus (SIV) jumped the species barrier into humans. This happened because various African tribes were hunting chimpanzees and gorillas - which carry a version of SIV transmissible to humans - as bushmeat and butchering them rather bloodily. Infected blood got into open sores and through lesions/cuts in the mouth, when the bodies were butchered and the meat eaten.

Oddly, SIV does not lead to AIDS in the great apes. And, odder enough, despite SIV jumping the barrier into humans no less than five times, these people continue to consume bushmeat. It is even butchered for overseas diplomats and sent via diplomatic pouch for state functions.

bawd

HSC
Kwayera said:
WOAH STOP THERE.

HIV/AIDS was transferred into humans in about 1920-1930, when the Simian Immunodeficiency Virus (SIV) jumped the species barrier into humans. This happened because various African tribes were hunting chimpanzees and gorillas - which carry a version of SIV transmissible to humans - as bushmeat and butchering them rather bloodily. Infected blood got into open sores and through lesions/cuts in the mouth, when the bodies were butchered and the meat eaten.

Oddly, SIV does not lead to AIDS in the great apes. And, odder enough, despite SIV jumping the barrier into humans no less than five times, these people continue to consume bushmeat. It is even butchered for overseas diplomats and sent via diplomatic pouch for state functions.
I was told by a science teacher of the aforementioned human-rape-ape theory. Perhaps both somehow apply? Bestiality in Brazil. Anyway, that's besides the point. Just trying to say HIV/AIDS is not a 'gay disease' as society seems to perceive it.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
bawd said:
I was told by a science teacher of the aforementioned human-rape-ape theory. Perhaps both somehow apply? Bestiality in Brazil. Anyway, that's besides the point. Just trying to say HIV/AIDS is not a 'gay disease' as society seems to perceive it.
What would it mean for HIV/AIDS to be a 'gay disease'?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
bawd said:
That science teacher probably doesn't know as much as he'd like about the origins and transmission of the disease from apes to humans. Both strains of HIV (HIV-1, from the aforementioned chimpanzees, and HIV-2, from monkeys (Sooty Mangabeys, as opposed to great apes) also killed for bushmeat) formed from SIV, transmitted by eating the flesh.

I doubt any self-respecting wild ape would ever let a human near enought for that without any painful consequences.

Also, Brazil? The disease originated in humans in Africa.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
An interesting perspective from Rev. Candace Chellew-Hodge, a self-proclaimed "recovering Southern Baptist".

From friendlyatheist.com said:
Hemant Mehta: How do you deal with the portions of the Bible which say homosexuality is a sin? On what authority do you take your interpretation? Is it based on the original intentions of the writers? A more liberal viewpoint?

Rev. Candace Chellew-Hodge: I have yet to find a section in the Bible that says homosexuality is a sin. There is no such passage. What the Bible condemns are some sexual acts between same-sex partners (mainly men). The acts condemned include sexual acts done in the context of temple worship (passages in Leviticus as well as Paul’s mention of same-sex acts fall under this category), use and abuse of another person sexually, pederasty or prostitution (condemned in other New Testament passages like 1 Corinthians 6:9), and rape (which is the entire point of the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in Genesis). Nowhere does the Bible state that the sexual orientation of homosexuality is sinful — it merely instructs anyone, gay or straight, that any sexual act that does not spring from a place of love, respect and commitment to the other person involved is sinful. There is nothing in the Bible that condemns homosexuality, per se, or condemns sexual conduct between two consenting adults engaged in a loving, monogamous relationship.

The authority of such an interpretation comes from a long line of historical criticism of the Bible. There are plenty of biblical scholars who have come to this position including Bishop John Shelby Spong and Walter Wink. Even conservative commentators like Robert Gagnon are now admitting that the Sodom and Gomorrah story is not about homosexuality, but about inhospitality and rape.

The method of historical criticism seeks to understand each passage in the context of the audience to which it was first written. In that context, knowledge of sexual orientation was lacking — the original audience still believed the woman was merely an incubator and the whole of human life resided in sperm. A notion of sexual orientation was well beyond their grasp. In fact, the word “homosexual” wasn’t coined until 1869, so it could not have been used by biblical writers and was only later used in biblical translations after 1946 when the rise of Communism and the “homosexual menace” began to come into our society’s vernacular. Translators in that time made the decision to use “homosexual” to describe the sinful sexual practices mentioned in the Bible. Not a far stretch since homosexuality was still considered a mental illness. It seemed to make sense that these lustful, sinful acts could simply be covered with the new word “homosexual.” I believe translators are mistaken and were guided by their own internal and political prejudices against gays and lesbians — prejudices that persist today thanks to their decision to insert a fairly recent word and concept into an ancient text.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
WELCOME TO CATHOLICISM, may I take your order.

We know that beastiality is wrong. We know that Eve was created as the partner of man. We have a gut feeling that homosexuality is against God's true plan for us to procreate, just as we have a gut feeling that murder and torture and abuse is against human dignity inherent in our divine design.

So it's unnatural. Does that deny that some percentage of people are attracted to the same sex? Hell no. It's merely evidence of original sin. Heck, if the science of genetic predisposition is right, then we can also see that some people are more genetically disposed to alchohol abuse. Does this 'natural desire' mean that they should binge? Anooe. It's just another trial and temptation to overcome.

To requote a wise man
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faith, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it

bawd

HSC
KFunk said:
What would it mean for HIV/AIDS to be a 'gay disease'?
The stereotype that homosexual people have HIV/AIDS or having non-heterosexual sex = HIV/AIDS. You'd think people would learn by now that it is not a virus started by homosexuals, but there are stupid people in this world. I don't know how to word it, but I think you get the essence of what I'm trying to say?

Last edited:

Edward Teach

Blackbeard!
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
We have a gut feeling that homosexuality is against God's true plan for us to procreate, just as we have a gut feeling that murder and torture and abuse is against human dignity inherent in our divine design.
subtle troll is subtle

EDIT: air conditioning is against God's true plan for us to sweat on hot days!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Whah!? A tasty fish nibbling on my line!?
Bah! Not good eatzing, throwz it back!

Incavi

HSC
i don't see why they can't just like women.
haha </ignorant statement>

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
Uh what? Peter File Justifications 101

For the record, the Commonwealth does recognise marriages to multiple partners in limited, ingidenous circumstances - partly for cultural reasons, but mostly because it would be a nightmare to prohibit
Orly?

You wouldn't have any further info on this would you? I'd be very interested if you do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)