Homosexuality in Australia (3 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

Gangels

HSC
Tottally agree to that. If a guy is having that much trouble than you cant keep it locked away. What i was talking about was kids growing up in the situation of a gay couple, freinds being forced into the sexuallity.

In your freinds case, if he's catholic, the religion as far as i know doesnt opose the gay community much anymore. If he's having this much trouble, i suggest that he convert to budhism:)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Gangels said:
I mean that we should accept it but not encourage it cause it is a mental disability. Dont get me wrong, i mean my best freind is gay, but technically its true.
I agree with the accepting that people are gay but not trying to encourage them to be gay since you can no more actively encourage people to be gay than you can to be tall or have green eyes. Nor should you - people are what they are.

I'd also like to add that it isn't a mental disability, a disability is a condition which hinders your life in of itself or something that incapacitates you. Schizophrenia would be an example of this, but not sexuality.

Gangels said:
What i was talking about was kids growing up in the situation of a gay couple, freinds being forced into the sexuallity.
I don't think children having gay parents will make them gay, anymore than all the straight parents of gay children made them straight. And I agree about forcing friends into a sexuality, regardless of whether they're trying to make them gay or straight.

nwatts

HSC
Gangels said:
In your freinds case, if he's catholic, the religion as far as i know doesnt opose the gay community much anymore. If he's having this much trouble, i suggest that he convert to budhism:)
Oh my. :eek:

I suggest you stop there.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Gangels said:
I mean that we should accept it but not encourage it cause it is a mental disability. Dont get me wrong, i mean my best freind is gay, but technically its true.
Oh wow, I'm sure your best friend would be happy to here that you believe he has a mental disability.

dis·a·bil·i·ty

1. The condition of being disabled; incapacity.
2. The period of such a condition: never received a penny during her disability.
2. A disadvantage or deficiency, especially a physical or mental impairment that interferes with or prevents normal achievement in a particular area.
3. Something that hinders or incapacitates.
4. Law. A legal incapacity or disqualification.
I don't necessairly believe that being gay is an impairment in any way shape or form, or prevents normal achievement in any area. Unless you are talking about procreation but that can be achieved via other methods.

Last time I checked homosexuality wasn't considered an illness for a few decades.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
kami said:
So you're saying the only thing you hold against homosexuals is that they can't get married? (Which you admit is because of religious problems)

Also, how does marriage intensify a relationship? I know heaps of people who are married but their relationship is dead in the water, in fact the divorce rate testifies to this fact.

Also, how can you support the lack of endorsement that the Catholic Church has for gay marriage when it encourages people to engage in premarital sex? Or don't you regard that as a sin?
because of the fundamentally procreative dimension of genital sexuality, the church can't affirm homosexual sexual activity, just as it can't affirm any other sexual activity outside the context of marriage. the church says that sexual activity is only appropriate when it is expresses a marital commitment between a man and a woman

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
yoakim said:
because of the fundamentally procreative dimension of genital sexuality, the church can't affirm homosexual sexual activity, just as it can't affirm any other sexual activity outside the context of marriage. the church says that sexual activity is only appropriate when it is expresses a marital commitment between a man and a woman
So because sex would not be fundamentally procreative between a couple that is sterile or in which the female partner has reached menopause then they should not be permitted any sexual activity either? I didn't know the church banned that as well.

And yes, the church does say that sexual activity is only appropriate for married individuals, so doesn't preventing marriage for a certain group promote this sin? It also seems that not all of the church agrees with you as there are sectors who will endorse homosexual life partnerships. Examples being:
  • United Church of Canada and;
  • Anglican Church of Canada and;
  • Quakers.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
church as in the Catholic Chuch, my mistake

Gangels

HSC
Xayma said:
Oh wow, I'm sure your best friend would be happy to here that you believe he has a mental disability.

I don't necessairly believe that being gay is an impairment in any way shape or form, or prevents normal achievement in any area. Unless you are talking about procreation but that can be achieved via other methods.

Last time I checked homosexuality wasn't considered an illness for a few decades.
He know and he agrees. Explain to me how exactly it isnt a mental thing? Sexual attraction is a mental thing, Homersexuallity is not a normal thing, Therefore abnormal, mental disability whatever you wanna call it.

Bahahahaa, i went to a Catholic school for years and i did not find one trace of party people. My year 6 teacher used to threaten us with a cane up the front of his classroom. Year 5, i almost got suspended for giving Jess a Wegie, year 3 and 4 i was too scared to do a thing cause the teachers looked a terrifying as a camels arse:)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Gangels said:
He know and he agrees. Explain to me how exactly it isnt a mental thing? Sexual attraction is a mental thing, Homersexuallity is not a normal thing, Therefore abnormal, mental disability whatever you wanna call it.
the keyword is disability.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
How does it cause inability to what? Be attracted to females? Then you must be disabled in order not to be attracted to the same sex.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Gangels said:
Firstly: Normal? Ahh...it may not be mainstream, but that doesn't make it any less normal on a biological/mental/hormonal level. Just less common.

Secondly: Disability is basically a disease or disorder or permanent injury etc. that hinders you. The only inate difference between a homosexual, bisexual and heterosexual(or anything in-between) person is what kind of person they're attracted to sexually/romantically. Any and everything else is a social factor and thus has nothing to do with a person's sexual determination.

robo-andie

HSC
Gangels said:
"prior to a psychiatric plebescite in 1973, homosexuality was considered to be a mental disorder, and it was listed in the pre-1973 DSM as such. Since that vote, homosexuality is no longer seen by psychologists and psychiatrists as a mental illness [[[sexual orientation]]]"

See Article - http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery...+of+Mental+Disorders&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc05b *

To live in Australia is to accept people from all walks of life. Obviously there is a limit to whom the society should accept. This limit is stipulated by our laws. Nowhere is there a law against Homosexuality. There are however laws against rape, murder, paedophilia etc. So you can safely assume we do not accept such people in society.

Without trying to spark more religious debate, religion really has no relevance to Homosexuality in Australia or Civil Unions (NOT marriages). Religions only link to Homosexuality and Homosexual acts is through the Individual and the Institution which harbours the respective beliefs (ie: The Church).
Same-sex attraction should be tolerated and accepted as a nation. In the event something like this were to happen, accepting it or rejecting it (as an individual) will make you no better, or no worse of a person. It is all about eliminating prejudice and promoting equality.
I believe at one point, the world saw Native Australians, and also others native to their lands, as being abominations of nature. You need to remember, we are always afraid of things we do not understand. We have though, grown to accept people from others cultures and ethnic backgrounds. We have grown to treat them as equals (the quest still continues, but we have made significant progress). Historically, the world has grown to accept new things, new ways of life. Soon then, will same-sex attraction be accepted and tolerated in society. Remember, society does not reflect the belief of EVERY individual.

To those who do not agree with Homosexuality, I do not ask you to simply change your minds. In order though, for you to be completely fair in your judgements, it is recommended you do some extensive reading on the subject, and all relevant topics. This includes; homosexuality and religion, homosexuality and mental illness, homosexuality in nature and homosexuality: nature vs nurture. If you want links to some good articles, I am sure I could dig through the archives and find some.

NOTE: I have tried to be as consistent with my argument as I felt I could be. I tried not to go into unnecessary detail which may become catalyst for more heated discussion. Feel free to criticise, agree or expand on anything I have said.

*(I wanted to make some words bold and add links, but HTML coding didn't work. Could someone inform me of the proper way to do it on this forum? Thanks)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
robo-andie said:
"prior to a psychiatric plebescite in 1973, homosexuality was considered to be a mental disorder, and it was listed in the pre-1973 DSM as such. Since that vote, homosexuality is no longer seen by psychologists and psychiatrists as a mental illness [[[sexual orientation]]]"

See Article - http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery...+of+Mental+Disorders&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc05b *

To live in Australia is to accept people from all walks of life. Obviously there is a limit to whom the society should accept. This limit is stipulated by our laws. Nowhere is there a law against Homosexuality. There are however laws against rape, murder, paedophilia etc. So you can safely assume we do not accept such people in society.

Without trying to spark more religious debate, religion really has no relevance to Homosexuality in Australia or Civil Unions (NOT marriages). Religions only link to Homosexuality and Homosexual acts is through the Individual and the Institution which harbours the respective beliefs (ie: The Church).
Same-sex attraction should be tolerated and accepted as a nation. In the event something like this were to happen, accepting it or rejecting it (as an individual) will make you no better, or no worse of a person. It is all about eliminating prejudice and promoting equality.
I believe at one point, the world saw Native Australians, and also others native to their lands, as being abominations of nature. You need to remember, we are always afraid of things we do not understand. We have though, grown to accept people from others cultures and ethnic backgrounds. We have grown to treat them as equals (the quest still continues, but we have made significant progress). Historically, the world has grown to accept new things, new ways of life. Soon then, will same-sex attraction be accepted and tolerated in society. Remember, society does not reflect the belief of EVERY individual.

To those who do not agree with Homosexuality, I do not ask you to simply change your minds. In order though, for you to be completely fair in your judgements, it is recommended you do some extensive reading on the subject, and all relevant topics. This includes; homosexuality and religion, homosexuality and mental illness, homosexuality in nature and homosexuality: nature vs nurture. If you want links to some good articles, I am sure I could dig through the archives and find some.

NOTE: I have tried to be as consistent with my argument as I felt I could be. I tried not to go into unnecessary detail which may become catalyst for more heated discussion. Feel free to criticise, agree or expand on anything I have said.

*(I wanted to make some words bold and add links, but HTML coding didn't work. Could someone inform me of the proper way to do it on this forum? Thanks)
an incredible first post.

I look forward to reading more posts in the future :)

Some_Guy

HSC
yoakim said:
I really like your sarcasm...

Of course homosexuals are normal people, the only difference would be that they have a different type of attraction to their same gender which ultimately leads to a different 'couple' relationship, and/or sexual relationship...
But greatfully, I have infact changed my view towards homosexuality, yes they deserve equality just like Mandela fought for liberation in his life.
But I believe that there is a limit in a homosexual relationship, that is, an official commitment of marriage.
No way in hell should they marry, but it's their personal decision I guess...
The Catholic chuch does view that homosexual relationships deserve equality among humans, but they don't endorse homosexual marriages, that's just wrong.
hahaha stay in school kid :D

rific

HSC
On the topic of mental health and homosexuality:

Mental Health – the capacity of individuals within groups and the environment to interact with one another in ways that promote subjective wellbeing, optimal development and use of mental abilities (cognitive, affective and relational) and achievement of individual and collective goals consistent with justice

and

Mental Illness or Mental Health Disorder – a recognised, medically diagnosable illness that results in significant impairment of the individual’s cognitive, affective or relational abilities

Definitions from ResponseAbility, a program developed by mental health practioners, specifically focusing on mental health promotion in education and journalism. Sexuality, of any description, obviously forms part of a person's mental health, something we all have. Homosexuality is not, and never will be a recognised mental health 'disability', or disorder in our society, it can lead into mental health illness, but is not, of itself, a disorder as recognised by mental health professionals in Australia because it does not influence the abilities of an individual.

Gangels

HSC
kami said:
Firstly: Normal? Ahh...it may not be mainstream, but that doesn't make it any less normal on a biological/mental/hormonal level. Just less common.

Secondly: Disability is basically a disease or disorder or permanent injury etc. that hinders you. The only inate difference between a homosexual, bisexual and heterosexual(or anything in-between) person is what kind of person they're attracted to sexually/romantically. Any and everything else is a social factor and thus has nothing to do with a person's sexual determination.
Reproduction my friend. That is their disability. How do we survive, offspring, then they survive through offspring etc. That is how they are disabled and yes, it isnt classed as a disability, but if it was, there would be many more gay rights marches out there.:)

robo-andie

HSC
Gangels said:
Reproduction my friend. That is their disability. How do we survive, offspring, then they survive through offspring etc. That is how they are disabled and yes, it isnt classed as a disability, but if it was, there would be many more gay rights marches out there.:)
Being Homosexual doesn't render you incapable of reproducing. We also have this wonderful new technology called IVF.
I will also remind you, that the physical inability to reproduce (or produce sperm/ovum) can be an issue for anyone, not just homosexuals.
A homosexuals lack of desire to mate with the opposite sex does not constitute an inability to do so. And regardless of this, it is still possible (medically) for reproduction to take place without sexual intercourse.

Ashtree

HSC
Riqtay said:
As i said earlier, if homosexuality is acceptible and legalised then we run risk of people engaging more and more in this act. Imagine if everyone becomes homosexual. In a couple of generations the human species would become extinct.
I realise that this quote above is from an old post, but reading through these, I cannot resist.

Rigtay, your argument is illogical. Homosexuality itself is actually legalised, in Australia anyway, and whilst most people see homosexuality as being wrong, you don't exactly see angry mobs waving pitchforks and batons of fire, rounding up the gays and lesbians. Nor do you see Nazi-style ghettos or concentration camps filled with gays and lesbians. No, of course not. Society just wouldn't accept that, wouldn't they?

Also, if everyone were to become homosexual, and going by your theory, the inevitably will, Homo sapiens are going to become extinct anyway. With the amount of genocide, homocide that continues everyday, we will no longer exist. Not to mention: do you really think Humans are going to live forever? It is fate. Eventually we will wipe ourselves out, one way or another. So your argument about homosexuals being the cause of human extinction is irrelevant and pointless. And why do you personally care, anyway? You yourself will probably live for another 60-80 years, and then because of your beliefs in Christianity -- Catholicism if you will, you'll be going to live in heaven in eternal life. Why does it affect you, if the world ceases to exist in billions of years time?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)