Homosexuality in Australia (2 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

hsb39

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
lol. ive been to different catholic masses in a range of churches and they do none of them mentioned homosexuals are bad. also you do know that catholics dont take the whole bible literally right especially those stories the old testament right.
If you ask them they probably will. Most people try to stay away from contreversial issues so you probably need to actually ask them. Also read the website, it goes over things said in the NT and OT and shows that they may not mean what it seems.

HalcyonSky

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
catholicism dont believe that everything the the bible should be taken literally. also the catholicism doesnt believe in reading the bible as some sort of textbook. so no i havent read the bible front to back and i do not plan to.

melanieeeee. said:
i believe in the basic right that parents should be able to teach children about religious values. because anywho they can choose to reject it once there brain is fully developed.
no you're missing the entire fucking point, if a person has been brainwashed since infancy to believe in something, their ability to 'choose' to disregard it is going to be severely hindered.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
HalcyonSky said:
.no you're missing the entire fucking point, if a person has been brainwashed since infancy to believe in something, their ability to 'choose' to disregard it is going to be severely hindered.
and like i said i believe in the basic right that parents should be able to teach children about religious values. if the consequence of that is that they are 'brainwashed' then so be it. i guess you can also see the same thing with education at the earliest stage. children are fed with information the cant really tell whether its right or wrong or otherwise.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Obviously you want to instill a moral framework, and educate your children on your values. No one wants to raise their kids as a completely blank canvass.

Children are never really given the right to choose their moral values. Everyone indoctrinates their children with certain social and humanist values at least.

Whatever moral and values system you teach them, you are indocrinating them when they are too young to make an intelligent choice, and you are in a sense, compromise their ability to make a free choice later in life.

If religious values are particularly important to the parents, I don't see why we should draw the line there, and say it is unfair to foist religious ideology upon them.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I'd like to raise my children to think. To question. To be able to doubt.

I agree that brainwashing is tatamount to child abuse. I experienced it myself, in high school.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Graney said:
Obviously you want to instill a moral framework, and educate your children on your values. No one wants to raise their kids as a completely blank canvass.

Children are never really given the right to choose their moral values. Everyone indoctrinates their children with certain social and humanist values at least.

Whatever moral and values system you teach them, you are indocrinating them when they are too young to make an intelligent choice, and you are in a sense, compromise their ability to make a free choice later in life.

If religious values are particularly important to the parents, I don't see why we should draw the line there, and say it is unfair to foist religious ideology upon them.
A four-year-old is no more a Christian than he is a member of the Postal Workers ' union.- Marcus Brigstocke

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Today, a particularly insidious obstacle to the task of education is the massive presence in our society and culture of that relativism which, recognizing nothing as definitive, leaves as the ultimate criterion only the self with its desires. And under the semblance of freedom it becomes a prison for each one, for it separates people from one another, locking each person into his or her own ego.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Kwayera said:
I'd like to raise my children to think. To question. To be able to doubt.

I agree that brainwashing is tatamount to child abuse. I experienced it myself, in high school.
My parents forced me to go to church with them every week up until early last year. By the end of it I was begging them not to force me to go, I was breaking down during services. I was scared of hell, sick of being told I was going there because I 'chose to be gay'. Sick of being asked how my 'struggle with homosexuality' was going. Sick of being told that 'Christians all struggle with sins, some with lying, some with being fags'.

I couldn't cope with the duality of being who I am and who the church wanted me to be. Religion can be child abuse. All people need the freedom to reevaluate their views and move forward. So yeah, I agree with you.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
Today, a particularly insidious obstacle to the task of education is the massive presence in our society and culture of that relativism which, recognizing nothing as definitive, leaves as the ultimate criterion only the self with its desires. And under the semblance of freedom it becomes a prison for each one, for it separates people from one another, locking each person into his or her own ego.
Dear Iron, what about cultural relativism? :shy:

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
ASNSWR127 said:
Does that not say something about how religion has twisted and effected everything we do?
Ditto. It has. The views of the fundamentalist minority influence millions of sensible, moderate people. I should know- I'm a militant homosexual myself :p

ASNSWR127

HSC
supercalamari said:
Ditto. It has. The views of the fundamentalist minority influence millions of sensible, moderate people. I should know- I'm a militant homosexual myself :p
lol militant homosexual!

Sounds like an exciting existence! (if only I was a homosexual so I could participate lol)

May you declare gay-jihad on those that would be anti-gay and change their petty mind set :)

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
ASNSWR127 said:
lol militant homosexual!

Sounds like an exciting existence! (if only I was a homosexual so I could participate lol)

May you declare gay-jihad on those that would be anti-gay and change their petty mind set :)
'Militant homosexual' is a joke at the expense of religious fundies like these: http://www.blessedcause.org/Militant_homosexual.htm

It is an exciting existence, a letter I sent in to the 5808 Campaign is getting published nationally, and also I am now a lot stronger and able to stand up to discriminate I used to put up with.

I don't want a jihad though. I want full equality, everything that straight couples have. But nothing more. I don't think it's too much to ask :)

Oh and btw I kinda sorta wanna go to CSU too. But in a few years lol.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
supercalamari said:
'Militant homosexual' is a joke at the expense of religious fundies like these: http://www.blessedcause.org/Militant_homosexual.htm
ha ha epic conspiracy

"We shall sodomize your sons, the emblems of your feeble masculinity of your shallow dreams and vulgar lies. We shall seduce them in your schools, in your dormitories, in your gymnasiums, in your locker rooms, in your sports arenas, in your seminaries, in your youth groups and in your movie theatre bathrooms, in your army bunk house in your truck stops, in your all male clubs and in your houses of Congress, wherever men are men together. Your sons will become the puppets of our bidding. We will recast them in our image and they will come to crave and adore us (sound like Romans 1?). We shall write poems of love between men, we shall stage plays in which men openly caress men, we shall make films about the love between heroic men which will replace the cheap superficial sentimental, insipid, juvenile, heterosexual infatuations presently dominating in your cinematic screens. We shall rise in a vast private army to defeat you. We will conquer the world because warriors inspired by, and banded together by homosexual love and honor are invincible. The family unit, the spawning ground of all lies, betrayals, hypocrisy and violence will be abolished. The family unit, which only dampens the imagination and curbs the free will must be eliminated. All churches that condemn us will be closed. Our only gods are handsome young men. One of the major requirements of a position of power in this new society will be the indulgence in this Greek passion and any man contaminated with heterosexual lust will be automatically barred from positions of influence. All males who insist on remaining stupidly heterosexual will be tried in homosexual courts of justice and will become invisible men."

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Graney said:
ha ha epic conspiracy

"We shall sodomize your sons, the emblems of your feeble masculinity of your shallow dreams and vulgar lies. We shall seduce them in your schools, in your dormitories, in your gymnasiums, in your locker rooms, in your sports arenas, in your seminaries, in your youth groups and in your movie theatre bathrooms, in your army bunk house in your truck stops, in your all male clubs and in your houses of Congress, wherever men are men together. Your sons will become the puppets of our bidding. We will recast them in our image and they will come to crave and adore us (sound like Romans 1?). We shall write poems of love between men, we shall stage plays in which men openly caress men, we shall make films about the love between heroic men which will replace the cheap superficial sentimental, insipid, juvenile, heterosexual infatuations presently dominating in your cinematic screens. We shall rise in a vast private army to defeat you. We will conquer the world because warriors inspired by, and banded together by homosexual love and honor are invincible. The family unit, the spawning ground of all lies, betrayals, hypocrisy and violence will be abolished. The family unit, which only dampens the imagination and curbs the free will must be eliminated. All churches that condemn us will be closed. Our only gods are handsome young men. One of the major requirements of a position of power in this new society will be the indulgence in this Greek passion and any man contaminated with heterosexual lust will be automatically barred from positions of influence. All males who insist on remaining stupidly heterosexual will be tried in homosexual courts of justice and will become invisible men."
Funnily enough that original text was written in the 80s... as a joke. Kinda silly that they're using it now in the 21st century as "evidence" of society being likely to go down the drain if we give everyone equal rights :p

hsb39

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Discrimination in the Dictionary???

Marriage - "a formal union of a man and a woman by which they become husband and wife"

Oxford English Dictionary edited by Soanes, C. with Hawker, S. and Elliott, J. (2006). Paperback Oxford English Dictionary (5th ed). New York: Oxford University Press.
I don't know whether you were joking, but I would consider that discrimination.

I do think that someone should read that internet site that I posted last page (I think that this is the first time that I have said it), it puts into serious question whether Christianity is actually against homosexuality (which means that the people at supercalamari's Church could not be just rude but also saying things that the religion does not actually think).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)