Homosexuality in Australia (4 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If you put forward the idea that all homosexuals have the same 'personality' traits as all others, and they are mostly negative, I'd say you're a bigot. When it comes to making a negative statement about a classification of things, you'd better get it right :)

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
If you put forward the idea that all homosexuals have the same 'personality' traits as all others, and they are mostly negative, I'd say you're a bigot. When it comes to making a negative statement about a classification of things, you'd better get it right :)
I never said they all had those personality traits, just in my experience I've met many more homosexuals with those traits than heterosexuals.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I wasn't talking to you, I was responding to chameleon. I agree with you, I don't think I would get along with an outlandish gay that runs around in a skirt with a stupid accent.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
My point is based off people not stereotyping homosexuals. Anybody that is brave enough to stereotype homosexuals must have their heads in the sand. Indeed some homosexuals may have similar personal traits as other homosexuals, but to make a blanket judgement of all homosexuals in light of a few who you dont get along with, would be completely wrong.

As I said before, I get along well with a fair few homosexual guys I know (but not all), purely because of their personalities. Sexual orientation doesnt enter into it. But I think a lot of people can be found guilty of linking these two factors to attack a person who simply dislikes a person based off their personality, when they shouldnt.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
But I think a lot of people are linking the two to attack somebody who simply dislikes a pesron based off their personality, when they shouldnt.
Perhaps, but it seems like you're almost denying/ignoring that there is mass discrimination against homosexuals. Sure, it's definately possible that in some individual cases people may dislike someone whom is gay only due to their personality, but given the level of bigotry/hatred towards homosexuals... don't you think "maybe he's just a homophobe?" is a justified question to pose?

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
I don't believe that there is anything wrong with it. Why should there be? I really hope that homosexuals will be granted the right to marry soon. By denying them the right to MARRY, they are not being given equal rights and are being treated as second-class citizens. This is not right. And apart from the actual right to marriage, homosexual couples do not get to enjoy the same rights as heterosexual couples. Why? The only real difference is the fact they can't have natural children. There is IVF and artificial insemination as well as adoption to compensate for that. What also pisses me off is people trying to ban anything that hints at homosexuality. GET OVER IT. Children should be able to grow up and not be oblivious to the fact that homosexuality exists. I mean, they know that bloody terrorists and war exist, shouldn't they be able to know about homosexuality? I know that they aren't exactly in the same category, but you get my drift. Yay for homos!

EDIT: yes sorry, got caught up and wrote vote, not marry - my bad.

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Perhaps, but it seems like you're almost denying/ignoring that there is mass discrimination against homosexuals. Sure, it's definately possible that in some individual cases people may dislike someone whom is gay only due to their personality, but given the level of bigotry/hatred towards homosexuals... don't you think "maybe he's just a homophobe?" is a justified question to pose?
I do see that there is homosexual discrimination of massive proportions out there, so much so that we see worse things happen than people giving just their opinions.

I understand where you're coming from mate, but wouldnt taking up the mindset of "maybe he's just a homophobe" be just as discriminatory as the majority of what is being blanketed against all homosexuals? Could it be that level-headed and open-minded people could be discriminated against, purely because they dont see eye-to-eye with the personality of one person who is gay? Im not saying that its every case, but I for one know how frustrating it is to be labelled a bigot when people cant understand that the point im making against a person might be due to their individual personality.

dora_18

HSC
*Ninny-Mole* said:
Why should there be? I really hope that homosexuals will be granted the right to marry soon. By denying them the right to vote, they are not being given equal rights and are being treated as second-class citizens.
Ummm :confused:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I understand where you're coming from mate, but wouldnt taking up the mindset of "maybe he's just a homophobe" be just as discriminatory as the majority of what is being blanketed against all homosexuals?
No. The mindset of asking 'maybe he's just a homophobe' is to question the reasons behind peoples actions to make sure they're not discriminatory, I didn't (and made sure I didn't) say that it's smart to take up the mindset that because someone dislikes a gay person they necessarily are a homophobe.

Could it be that level-headed and open-minded people could be discriminated against, purely because they dont see eye-to-eye with the personality of one person who is gay?
It's possible, as I said.

Im not saying that its every case, but I for one know how frustrating it is to be labelled a bigot when people cant understand that the point im making against a person might be due to their individual personality.
I've been labelled racist before because I didn't have time in class to explain what I meant completely, it sux when such a thing happens... but isn't it better that people are questioning whether people are being discriminatory than a situation where such questioning does not occur? Sure, sometimes people may be unjustly labelled a homophobe, but I think on the other hand when people start questioning like this it hurts the cause of those whom really are homophobic.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
bshoc said:
Opposition to radical and socially destructive political/social entities or groups. Its like a man supporting feminism, why fight against yourself? Stupid.
i'd like to hear how u justify that homosexuality is "radical" or "socially destructive"

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Nolanistic said:
Are you serious? You loathe equality between people this much?
We already have equality, what things like feminism and gay rights push is inequality.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
bshoc said:
We already have equality, what things like feminism and gay rights push is inequality.
No we do not have equality. Women cannot marry women but men can. How is that not sexist?

vorahk

HSC
bshoc said:
Ofcourse they can't, the same way your car cant run on anything but petrol, marriage = 1 man + 1 woman - thats the simple, unavoidable truth - "gay marriage" is a oxymoron becuase it implies the union of two same sex indaviduals which must be a man and woman.
lol, so true.

sure you might say who cares or why not? it doesn't effect me.

but have you ever thought of a gay couple making out in front of you.. or just being gay? how would you feel then? or perhaps your kids are in a gay relationship, would you coupe?

or what if you were a child of a gay couple.. just think of what kind of life you would get through..IMO pretty rough one.

i find it disturbing and unnatural, metros are equally as bad.. "im not gay, i just act gay".... wtf?!?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
bshoc said:
Ofcourse they can't, the same way your car cant run on anything but petrol, marriage = 1 man + 1 woman - thats the simple, unavoidable truth - "gay marriage" is a oxymoron becuase it implies the union of two same sex indaviduals which must be a man and woman.
But that isn't then equality. Which was what your original statement was.

vorahk said:
but have you ever thought of a gay couple making out in front of you..
Yes and seen it quite a few times.
vorahk said:
or just being gay? how would you feel then?
Thought about it, would feel more or less the same as being straight.

vorahk said:
or perhaps your kids are in a gay relationship, would you coupe?
Most likely.
vorahk said:
or what if you were a child of a gay couple.. just think of what kind of life you would get through..IMO pretty rough one.

i find it disturbing and unnatural, metros are equally as bad.. "im not gay, i just act gay".... wtf?!?
No more rough then the one I went through anyway, could be better in quite a few ways.

Last edited:

lulu24-7

HSC
i am the daughter of a gay man, i know many other kids of gay people, ive seen many men make out with each other, and women, i've met various homosexual teenagers, im completely straight and i don't understand what you're all on about. whats wrong with just letting people do what they feel naturally without judgement or disgust. and if two ppl of the same sex love each other i completely agree taht they should have the same right to seal that love as any other couple. i dont see any reasonable arguments against it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
marriage = 1 man + 1 woman - thats the simple, unavoidable truth - "gay marriage" is a oxymoron becuase it implies the union of two same sex indaviduals which must be a man and woman.
Why can't we change the definition? Marriage is just a concept we've created.

robo-andie

HSC
vorahk said:
lol, so true.

sure you might say who cares or why not? it doesn't effect me.

but have you ever thought of a gay couple making out in front of you.. or just being gay? how would you feel then? or perhaps your kids are in a gay relationship, would you coupe?

There is no such thing as acting gay.

-and-

Homosexuality is not unnatural by any definition that I have come across. Other than 'God didn't intend it' which is an argument that can be stomped on from a variety of angles.

vorahk

HSC
well for survival and producing an offspring, thats the main purpose of life of humans.

and to reproduce, you need a female and a male. two males cannot 'naturally' reproduce, which makes them unnatural... somewhat.

not trying to be offensive, but just speaking reality.

robo-andie

HSC
vorahk said:
well for survival and producing an offspring, thats the main purpose of life of humans.
That's not natural, that's necessary

and to reproduce, you need a female and a male. two males cannot 'naturally' reproduce, which makes them unnatural... somewhat.
it's only unnatural if they try to reproduce and succeed, but seeing as how a male does not have a uterus or any of those other vital bits for reproduction two males cannot reproduce naturally. This does not mean they are unnatural, simply that they cannot reproduce naturally because they are incompatible.

So homosexuality is not unnatural itself, but homosexual reproduction would be because it goes against the biological fact that you need a penis (or sperm) and a vagina (or egg) to make babies.

Does that make sense?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Humans have sex thousands of times throughout their life... only one of these times is often needed to be with the opposite sex, to create a baby. Also, with sperm doners etc - I can't find a lesbian that isn't pregnant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)