Hong Kong Investment Banking (1 Viewer)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
prob 110k US base salary.

Newbie, nice work :)

What kinda marks did you need to get to get there? I assume you did a couple of internships/clerkships?

Btw nice to see high students doing well ;)

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
lol i drop law right away and start work if it was 110 base
i think thats the associate base
60+10 is good enough for me

but
its all about the 15% tax baby

ND

HSC
Shit, is that the highest level of tax you pay??

What's the cost of living like there?

is a roflcopter
HSC
yep 15%
but you can reduce tax in other ways in australia anyway

i think rent is comparable to sydney
but everything else is alot cheaper

is a roflcopter
HSC
haha make a charity from a university society and do property transactions which are 100% tax deductible... div 30 of ITAA 97. someone tried to do that actually

but nothings worth getting busted and getting a criminal record.

everyones got their own super/scrip/sacrifice plan for work, just plagiarise their ideas

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Newbie's absolutely right. I'm pretty set on transferring to HK permanently after the first full-yr bonus (not the stub). Much harder work though... I wouldn't wanna spend my first year there (hats off to you Newbie ^_^)

In summer, there was this guy who was sent here from HK for a few months and he told us how slack the Melb & Syd offices are in comparison.

Re tax: I think the Australian Government will chase non-HK residents who bring their money back to Australia. Over the pass 10 yrs, the Govt has gone out of its way to contact heaps of my relatives working in HK (who are dual-citizens) to ask them for taxes (hahaha). My relatives told them to piss off (rightfully and legally).

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Omnidragon said:
Newbie's absolutely right. I'm pretty set on transferring to HK permanently after the first full-yr bonus (not the stub). Much harder work though... I wouldn't wanna spend my first year there (hats off to you Newbie ^_^)

In summer, there was this guy who was sent here from HK for a few months and he told us how slack the Melb & Syd offices are in comparison.

Re tax: I think the Australian Government will chase non-HK residents who bring their money back to Australia. Over the pass 10 yrs, the Govt has gone out of its way to contact heaps of my relatives working in HK (who are dual-citizens) to ask them for taxes (hahaha). My relatives told them to piss off (rightfully and legally).
The key is to get tax residency in Hong Kong.

That way, none of your income is taxed in Australia, unless it is from investments (such as real estate and shares) that are located in Australia, in which case you need to pay tax on income from those.

These are the punishing rates of tax that the poor residents of HK have to put up with . . .

Rates of tax 2007/2008
First HK$35,000 2%
Next HK$35,000 7%
Next HK$35,000 12%
On the remainder 17%
Standard rate 16%

The maximum tax, however, is limited to tax at the standard rate (16%) on the net assessable income. So even though 17% is the top marginal rate of tax, the actual amount you end up paying is the lesser of 16% or the progressive rates.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea I've heard about the resident for tax purposes thing before. I didn't look into it in detail.

The last time we brought this up, I think somebody said there's all these requirements we need to satisfy to convince the Aust Govt that we are not an Aust resident for tax purposes. Apparently it becomes complicated if we own real property.

I plan to stay in HK for a decade plus though, so I guess it's all cool.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Omnidragon said:
Yea I've heard about the resident for tax purposes thing before. I didn't look into it in detail.

The last time we brought this up, I think somebody said there's all these requirements we need to satisfy to convince the Aust Govt that we are not an Aust resident for tax purposes. Apparently it becomes complicated if we own real property.

I plan to stay in HK for a decade plus though, so I guess it's all cool.
The best thing to do in such a situation is not buy Australian assets. If you have your money tied up in HK shares, HK properties and HK chas deposit accounts, they usually can't get to you.

It's only when you have a house here or heaps of assets, that they say "Hang on, you're an Aussie working in HK" rather than being someone who has migrated from Australia to another country in search of better opportunities.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
what happens, say, after you finish working in HK after 5-10 years and bring back all your money in aussie dollars? any consequences (such as pay your HECS dammit..)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)