Honours '11 (1 Viewer)

Scorch

HSC
Anyone else starting Honours this year? Plans? Expectation? Subject area? I'm doing mine in Italian Studies this year.

izzy88

HSC
I did honours in ancient history last year- its not as bad as everyone says. :p it is really quite flexible- as long as you do work throughout the year, then you should be fine.

on the other hand, i'm going back to law this year, and am quite nervous about actually having four classes a semester and having to study/memorise stuff for exams.

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Oooooh, Italian Studies?! I might do honours in Italian Studies if I don't get into what I want after this degree.

What are you gonna do exactly?

Scorch

HSC
I did honours in ancient history last year- its not as bad as everyone says. :p it is really quite flexible- as long as you do work throughout the year, then you should be fine.
Oh that's awesome. I had to choose between Ancient History and Italian for Honours. Who'd you have as your supervisor? What area did you write on? I wanted to do mine with Paul Roche if I chose ANHS but he's going to be away on research leave.

Oooooh, Italian Studies?! I might do honours in Italian Studies if I don't get into what I want after this degree.

What are you gonna do exactly?
Quindi studi l'italiano?

I'm going to write about renaissance literature/philosophy, most likely, probably with some focus on Machiavelli and his contemporaries. Machiavelli really is quite amazing.

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh that's awesome. I had to choose between Ancient History and Italian for Honours. Who'd you have as your supervisor? What area did you write on? I wanted to do mine with Paul Roche if I chose ANHS but he's going to be away on research leave.

Quindi studi l'italiano?

I'm going to write about renaissance literature/philosophy, most likely, probably with some focus on Machiavelli and his contemporaries. Machiavelli really is quite amazing.
Lol we've had this conversation 32432532 times. Yeah, I'm majoring in Italian. If I do honours I'd probably do sociolinguistics or applied linguistics.

Scorch

HSC
Lol we've had this conversation 32432532 times. Yeah, I'm majoring in Italian. If I do honours I'd probably do sociolinguistics or applied linguistics.
Ah yes! My bad. I'm sorry! I keep forgetting; I only visit once in a blue moon nowadays. Sociolinguistics is interesting, and the Italian department has Nina (I assume you know her?) who is a pretty well-known expert on sociolinguistics and what-not.

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Ah yes! My bad. I'm sorry! I keep forgetting; I only visit once in a blue moon nowadays. Sociolinguistics is interesting, and the Italian department has Nina (I assume you know her?) who is a pretty well-known expert on sociolinguistics and what-not.
Yeah, I've spoken to her quite a few times, but she's never been my tutor.

p.s. Did you go on exchange?

Scorch

HSC
Yeah, I've spoken to her quite a few times, but she's never been my tutor.

p.s. Did you go on exchange?
I took one of her units on Italian Sociolinguistics. Pretty basic but still decently interesting. She's very lovely to me and she's the head of department so those two things make things very smooth for me. :) Who do you have as your tutor then?

No I didn't go on exchange. :( I wanted to. I was sort of relying on a government loan that basically just gets added onto your HECS and is guaranteed, however it mentions that you can't get it if it's your last semester at uni (and Honours doesn't count). That sort of shot that idea down pretty much.

izzy88

HSC
I had Alastair Blanshard as my supervisor- and I did my thesis in receptions studies, so it didn't end up very stereotypical ancient history. I looked at a set of ancient sculptures taken from Turkey in the nineteenth century and placed in the British Museum (kind of like the Elgin marbles but not)- their discovery and the way they were displayed in the museum :)

Scorch

HSC
I had Alastair Blanshard as my supervisor- and I did my thesis in receptions studies, so it didn't end up very stereotypical ancient history. I looked at a set of ancient sculptures taken from Turkey in the nineteenth century and placed in the British Museum (kind of like the Elgin marbles but not)- their discovery and the way they were displayed in the museum :)
Oh cool. That sounds pretty interesting though. =) Alastair is a pretty awesome guy. I've had him for a couple of courses. What are you moving into after honours?

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
I took one of her units on Italian Sociolinguistics. Pretty basic but still decently interesting. She's very lovely to me and she's the head of department so those two things make things very smooth for me. :) Who do you have as your tutor then?

No I didn't go on exchange. :( I wanted to. I was sort of relying on a government loan that basically just gets added onto your HECS and is guaranteed, however it mentions that you can't get it if it's your last semester at uni (and Honours doesn't count). That sort of shot that idea down pretty much.
Dunno who my tutor is this semester, but I've had Laura Lo Iacono, Meg Greenburg, Pip Muratore for like a few weeks, Cristina Mauceri, Francesca Ori, Marco Santello and Antonella Beconi.

I hope I get Nina this semester :p

I might go on exchange to Bologna in semester two this year, still waiting to find out though.

Scorch

HSC
Dunno who my tutor is this semester, but I've had Laura Lo Iacono, Meg Greenburg, Pip Muratore for like a few weeks, Cristina Mauceri, Francesca Ori, Marco Santello and Antonella Beconi.

I hope I get Nina this semester :p

I might go on exchange to Bologna in semester two this year, still waiting to find out though.
I've had Meg, Laura and Cristina. They're all pretty cool. Antonella is the new Italian Government Lettore, right? Nina is pretty cool if you're on her good side, so hope you're on her good side. :)

Exchange in Bologna would be pretty awesome; in quel caso suppongo che tu parli bene l'italiano, no?

Which courses have you done beside the language units? Have you done any?

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
I've had Meg, Laura and Cristina. They're all pretty cool. Antonella is the new Italian Government Lettore, right? Nina is pretty cool if you're on her good side, so hope you're on her good side. :)

Exchange in Bologna would be pretty awesome; in quel caso suppongo che tu parli bene l'italiano, no?

Which courses have you done beside the language units? Have you done any?
Beh, posso avere una conversazione con mia mamma e nonna e anche con la mia amica che abita a Bergamo, quindi credo di sì :p voglio andare in Italia prima di comincio a studiare affinché io possa migliorare il mio italiano.

I haven't done anything other than language units because I'm doing a double degree and can't fit any in and because I have to do at least two when (if) I go on exchange, so I'm saving them for then.

But when I come back I'll have to do one more. Thinking of Focus on Writing in Italian or Advanced Italian: Traslation..?

Scorch

HSC
Beh, posso avere una conversazione con mia mamma e nonna e anche con la mia amica che abita a Bergamo, quindi credo di sì :p voglio andare in Italia prima di comincio a studiare affinché io possa migliorare il mio italiano.
Eh, bene. =) Sono appena tornato da Roma; c'ero un mese. Il mio italiano è migliorato tanto semplicemente perchè potevo parlare in italiano in diversi contesti. Però non ho la famiglia italiana, quindi è un po più difficile per perfezionarmi la lingua. =)

Aspetta ... volevi andare nel secondo semestre di quest'anno? Hai già applicato?

I haven't done anything other than language units because I'm doing a double degree and can't fit any in and because I have to do at least two when (if) I go on exchange, so I'm saving them for then.

But when I come back I'll have to do one more. Thinking of Focus on Writing in Italian or Advanced Italian: Traslation..?
Ah I follow. Do anything with Francesco Borghesi teaching is my recommendation. He's really quite awesome and teaches very, very interesting units. Dante or Machiavelli or something if it interests you. Also Meg and Giorgia are excellent. I think Giorgia takes the translation unit. I heard nothing but good things about that subject, but I didn't have the room to do it.

izzy88

HSC
Oh cool. That sounds pretty interesting though. =) Alastair is a pretty awesome guy. I've had him for a couple of courses. What are you moving into after honours?
I liked it :) and alastair was very good, always got my work back to me quickly etc.

I was doing a combined arts/law degree, so now i've got two years of law to do. :/

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Eh, bene. =) Sono appena tornato da Roma; c'ero un mese. Il mio italiano è migliorato tanto semplicemente perchè potevo parlare in italiano in diversi contesti. Però non ho la famiglia italiana, quindi è un po più difficile per perfezionarmi la lingua. =)

Aspetta ... volevi andare nel secondo semestre di quest'anno? Hai già applicato?

Ah I follow. Do anything with Francesco Borghesi teaching is my recommendation. He's really quite awesome and teaches very, very interesting units. Dante or Machiavelli or something if it interests you. Also Meg and Giorgia are excellent. I think Giorgia takes the translation unit. I heard nothing but good things about that subject, but I didn't have the room to do it.
Sì, sì, ho applicato. :p

Ma... mi ha bocciato alla chimica, quindi forse non potrò andare. Gli ho inviato tramite e-mail pregando ad accetermi... ma devo aspettare ancora.

I don't think Meg teaches at Sydney anymore, does she? She kinda just disappeared all of a sudden. Shame, I liked her. I got my best marks with her. :p

Last edited:
HSC
Not this year, but if my marks are good enough I may do honours in education next year!

Scorch

HSC
Sì, sì, ho applicato. :p

Ma... mi ha bocciato alla chimica, quindi forse non potrò andare. Gli ho inviato tramite e-mail pregando ad accetermi... ma devo aspettare ancora.
Ah, non importa niente se ti ha bocciato a qualcosa. =] Hai bisogno di una media di piu' di 65 e basta, io penso. Avevo lo stesso problema con il latino, ma potevo andare comunque.

I don't think Meg teaches at Sydney anymore, does she? She kinda just disappeared all of a sudden. Shame, I liked her. I got my best marks with her. :p
I have no idea. I swear I saw her around in the office once or twice last semester (or the one before that). I don't know where she would have gone. They don't list her anymore on the site so I guess not. Have you ever had Giorgia? She is so adorable.

Ah! I just checked. She is the Cassamarca Lecturer at Melbourne University replacing some guy named Andrea Rizzi until July this year, it seems.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Good to see that there's an Honours thread started up. Look forward to hearing your experiences as I will be going through this in a couple years. Keep up the updates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)