honours? (1 Viewer)

Pizzadonut

HSC
what are study options after completion of the 3 year commerce degree? i'm currently at the end of my 1st year, however i want to plan ahead and i'm thinking of taking on an extra 4th year. what options are there for a finance major? honours? masters? whats the difference?

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
No ones gonna care if u did finance honours. I think its only relevant if ur doing eco

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
Honours is better than Masters for Commerce/Arts disciplines because it's harder to get in and you won't be 'overqualified' for entry-level jobs that you could be with a Master's degree. Also, usually in a Masters you'll learn the same content as a Bachelor's degree (with the exception of maybe Macquarie's 'Master of Applied Finance' which is very strong I've heard but you need work experience before doing it), while in Honours you'll learn an extension of the content you're already doing.

Finance Honours is a good idea if (a) you need an extra year to boost your employability, (b) you want to go into research (but really who would want to research in finance, it's so narrow), (c) There are some jobs that require either Economics or Finance Honours (but Eco honours would be stronger) or (d) you want to go into a job that requires high academic excellence (e.g. Consulting).

Economics Honours is generally more highly regarded than Finance Honours, but they will send different signals to employers. If you want to go into IB and you need an extra year to take another shot at internships, you'd probably want to choose Finance Honours. One option could be to do joint Honours in Economics and Finance (know someone doing this).

D94

HSC
N/A
Tbh, any advice from people who haven't graduated should be taken with a grain of salt. Comparisons are fine, but subjective input should be criticised as much as possible.

Best speak to lecturers about this.

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
Tbh, any advice from people who haven't graduated should be taken with a grain of salt. Comparisons are fine, but subjective input should be criticised as much as possible.

Best speak to lecturers about this.
Fair enough, but I am basing my opinions entirely on what lecturers and people working in the economics/finance/consulting industry have told me.

OP, do a search on Finance Honours threads on whirlpool. You'll find alot of really knowledgable people, but you will need to be able to separate from the trolls/idiots.

Last edited:

erckle999

HSC
Uni Grad
Fair enough, but I am basing my opinions entirely on what lecturers and people working in the economics/finance/consulting industry have told me.

OP, do a search on Finance Honours threads on whirlpool. You'll find alot of really knowledgable people, but you will need to be able to separate from the trolls/idiots.
JasonG123 was to much of a troll for USyd message boards so is trying his luck here. Don't fall for it.

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
JasonG123 was to much of a troll for USyd message boards so is trying his luck here. Don't fall for it.
Good to know you're still stalking all my posts despite being in the States. I can't be that interesting, can I?

erckle999

HSC
Uni Grad
Good to know you're still stalking all my posts despite being in the States. I can't be that interesting, can I?
The purity of these forums requires vigilance. From whereever one may be.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)