hormone replacement therapy ? (1 Viewer)

s1mplykat

HSC
just have a few questions... much appreciated if you could answer them for me *^^*

what is the mechanism by which Aldosterone contributes to salt regulation in the mammalian kidney?

whats the name of the disease when people cant produce Aldosterone in sufficient amounts? is it addisons disease? if it is then whats the artificial hormone that taken by the peOple that suffer from the disease?

are their any side affects to the use of artificial hormone?

kow_dude

HSC
What is the mechanism by which Aldosterone contributes to salt regulation in the mammalian kidney?
Aldosterone is a hormone secreted by the adrenal gland. Its function is to regulate the transfer of sodium and potassium ions in the kidney. When sodium levels are low, aldosterone is released into the blood. It activates the mineralocorticoid receptor gene which in turn stimulates the kidney to allow more sodium to pass from the nephron to the blood. Water then flows from the nephron into the blood by osmosis. This results in the homeostatic balance of blood pressure.

Whats the name of the disease when people cant produce Aldosterone in sufficient amounts?
Addison's disease

Whats the artificial hormone that taken by the peOple that suffer from the disease?
If aldosterone is deficient, it is replaced with oral doses of fludrocortisone acetate, which is taken once a day. Patients receiving aldosterone replacement therapy are usually advised by a doctor to increase their salt intake.

Are their any side affects to the use of artificial hormone?
* Excessive thirst and urine production
* Weight gain and excessive apetite
* Hair loss
* Irregular heartbeat
* Eye pain or blurred vision
* Unexplained fever or sore throat
* Muscle aches or weakness
* Trouble sleeping
* Headache
* Swelling of the feet, legs, or arms

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
nice xD thanks...even though i didnt start the thread that really helped me in my summary thx.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Yeah, I was going to answer it lol. then I scrolled down and saw someone already did :p

kow_dude

HSC
But of course, the 'answer' is not finished and is open for discussion :)

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
yes but your answer is so perfect. i refuse to refute it.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Yeah I cant beat that lol. My answer wud have been 5 lines max lol

bobby2004

Management
HSC
N/A
Answers

What is the mechanism by which Aldosterone contributes to salt regulation in the mammalian kidney?

THE SODIUM POTASSIUM PUMP

whats the name of the disease when people cant produce Aldosterone in sufficient amounts? ADDISON'S DISEASE. Artificial hormone= CORTISOL replaced through HYDROCORTISONE TABLETS
are their any side affects to the use of artificial hormone? SIDE EFFECTS- high blood pressure, sweating persistantly etc. :)

s1mplykat

HSC
kow_dude said:
Aldosterone is a hormone secreted by the adrenal gland. Its function is to regulate the transfer of sodium and potassium ions in the kidney. When sodium levels are low, aldosterone is released into the blood. It activates the mineralocorticoid receptor gene which in turn stimulates the kidney to allow more sodium to pass from the nephron to the blood. Water then flows from the nephron into the blood by osmosis. This results in the homeostatic balance of blood pressure.

Whats the name of the disease when people cant produce Aldosterone in sufficient amounts?
Addison's disease

Whats the artificial hormone that taken by the peOple that suffer from the disease?
If aldosterone is deficient, it is replaced with oral doses of fludrocortisone acetate, which is taken once a day. Patients receiving aldosterone replacement therapy are usually advised by a doctor to increase their salt intake.

Are their any side affects to the use of artificial hormone?
* Excessive thirst and urine production
* Weight gain and excessive apetite
* Hair loss
* Irregular heartbeat
* Eye pain or blurred vision
* Unexplained fever or sore throat
* Muscle aches or weakness
* Trouble sleeping
* Headache
* Swelling of the feet, legs, or arms
a big thank you to `kow_dude`!!! thanks a bunch! you have defiantly saved a lost biology student... haha...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ummm with ure treatment
both are correct but under different stituations

this is how we prescribe:
Ferri: Ferri's Clinical Advisor: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment said:
• Give hydrocortisone 15 to 20 mg PO every morning and 5 to 10 mg in late afternoon or prednisone 5 mg in morning and 2.5 mg hs.

• Give oral fludrocortisone 0.05 mg/day to 0.20 mg/day: this mineralocorticoid is necessary if the patient has primary adrenocortical insufficiency. The dose is adjusted based on the serum sodium level and the presence of postural hypotension or marked orthostasis.

• Instruct patients to increase glucocorticoid replacement in times of stress and to receive parenteral glucocorticoids if diarrhea or vomiting occurs. Typical supplementation varies from 25 mg PO qd of hydrocortisone for minor medical and surgical stress to 50–100 mg IV hydrocortisone every 8 hr for sepsis-induced hypotension or shock.

• The administration of dehydroepiandrosterone 50 mg PO qd improves well-being and sexuality in women with adrenal insufficiency.
the above really means give a cortisol replacement.. (hydrocortisone or prednisone)
but if there is primary adrenocortical insufficiency like an adrenal tumour
then we use a different source of cortisol.. (fludrocortisone)

Muggus

HSC
Thank you guys so much, especially Kow_dude. This has been a huge help to a biology report im writing.
thank you, thank you thank you :D

tiffi

HSC
Anyone got a good definition for what exactly Hormone Replacement Therapy is ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)