Horror! (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
hey guys,

Just a quick essay question I was given recently, my English teacher posted up the question, "Horror is only effective through suspense. (because we're studying horror and suspense at the moment). Would there be any specific details/facts that I can give to start my essay and introduce it and how would I refer back to other horror films to prove a point? Besides, I have to argue a bit, can anyone help pick a side, yes or no, and give me some points of evidence that supports that?

thanks in advance, lookoutastroboy

bench

HSC
I've always thought horror is the initiation of the sudden spread of dread when you discover something or is surprised by something, where as terror is like the constant repeating emotion that tells you you're screwed, or gonna be in some deep poopoo. So basically terror comes after the horror. So without suspense obviously horror can't really be created. But I'm not sure at all on this as we've never touched on it in highschool.

Which basically means I'm just gonna suggest to agree with the statement.

bored of sc

HSC
Horror fiction is, broadly, fiction in any medium intended to scare, unsettle, or horrify the audience. Historically, the cause of the "horror" experience has often been the intrusion of an evil—or, occasionally, misunderstood—supernatural element into everyday human experience. Since the 1960s, any work of fiction with a morbid, gruesome, surreal, or exceptionally suspenseful or frightening theme has come to be called "horror". Horror fiction often overlaps science fiction or fantasy, all three of which categories are sometimes placed under the umbrella classification speculative fiction.
http://www.answers.com/topic/horror-fiction

Horror films are movies that strive to elicit fear, horror and terror responses from viewers. In horror film plots, evil forces, events, or characters, sometimes of supernatural origin, intrude into the everyday world. Horror movies usually include a central villain. Early horror films often drew inspiration from characters and stories from classic literature, such as Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Wolf Man, Phantom of the Opera and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Later horror films, in contrast, often drew inspiration from the insecurities of life after World War II, giving rise to the three distinct, but related, sub-genres: the horror-of-personality film, the horror-of-Armageddon film, and the horror-of-the-demonic film. The last sub-genre may be seen as a modernized transition from the earliest horror films, expanding on their emphasis on supernatural agents that bring horror to the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_film

Suspense: Anxiety or apprehension resulting from an uncertain, undecided, or mysterious situation.
http://www.answers.com/suspense

Just thought some dictionary definitions might help clear things up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)