Hours for English (Extension 1) (1 Viewer)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
How many hours should you put into English (Extension 1)? Yes I know its a very subjective question but someone can give me a ball park figure as to hours in class, homework and even exam preparation on should put in a year for this subject.

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Hey :)

In the Board of Studies syllabus there is at least 60 indicative hours of classwork that is required for all students of English Extension.
For individual study, I've been aiming to study EX1 for at least 2-4 hours per week :)

I hope my response helps. :)

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Aiming for 200 hours of English Extension 1 study to be better at his subject.

50 hours online resources (Bored of studies, Youtube), 50 hours reading English Standard essays (good responses), 50 hours writing and 50 hours worth of reading relevant texts .

My English is not good enough, I will admit it up front but I want to become better.

ad_321

HSC
I do Ext (in prelim), and let me tell you it feels like way more workload than Advanced.

That's why I'm contemplating dropping it, because I'm putting so much time into it I'm not able to concentrate on Adv as much.

Especially like me, all my units apart from 2 are heavy writing subjects..

For hours.. hm not sure.

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Aiming for 200 hours of English Extension 1 study to be better at his subject.

50 hours online resources (Bored of studies, Youtube), 50 hours reading English Standard essays (good responses), 50 hours writing and 50 hours worth of reading relevant texts .

My English is not good enough, I will admit it up front but I want to become better.
Your enthusiasm is quite admirable, I congratulate you for that!

However, it seems you've already graduated University? What's up with that?

Fiction

HSC
Depends on the person, but I personally didn't do 2-4 hours per week, out of my own time. I'm the lazy type who never does more than I probably should though, so take it with a grain of salt. You want to be doing at least say 1-2 hours every week, to make sure you're on top of things, but it's unnecessary (imo at least) to put in too many hours unless an assessment is coming up. Keep in mind that at the end of the day, your ext english course only requires you to write one essay and one creative. Ofc you might want to write more than one essay or creative so you can adapt to questions etc (more so for creatives than essays since the questions tend to be quite general), but that's not - or hopefully won't, take you 50-100 hours.

Also, I know you're probably asking this to gauge the amount of effort you'll need to put in, but it's never a good idea to quantify hours since everyone works and have different absorption/learning rates.

Finally, this is something really obvious but I feel like its necessary - your assessments are what counts. Not the amount of effort you put in. So that's to say, it's pointless to put in an hour a day into your ext english if you're neglecting the subject when you have an assessment coming up. I know it seems obvious but you'll be surprised at how many people do that. You really don't want to be that idiot. (-cough- me -cough-)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Your enthusiasm is quite admirable, I congratulate you for that!

However, it seems you've already graduated University? What's up with that?

I didn't do English (Extension) but since graduating from university I've had change to the Language and Humanities. Being good at English is like an art. Completing a maths/science/Engineering base course doesn't have the same level of academic writing as the Arts/Law/English literature course.

Given the choice of being better at English or Maths, I'd choose English now. Back when I was in my high school years being pushed by parents to do the Quantitative subjects. I think I'm developing a change later in life.

Constantine

HSC
It depends on your own grasp of English and the amount of support your school and teacher has given you.
Personally for me, 3-4 hours/wk was enough and during the exam period, maybe just up to 5? I did a lot of research during the earlier weeks so it saved me a lot of time during the preparation period for the trials and HSC. I already had all the resources, I just had to put it together by the end.

With this I ended up with 47/50.
It's no state rank but good enough for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)