hours in science :( (1 Viewer)

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
if johnny does

bio1 and chem1 in 2007, how many hours of classes,tutes,lecs, labs will he have to put in??

any tips on cutting back hours (like skipping lectures? since johnny did chem and bio in HS) :santa:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
12 hours a week for those 2. You can skip bio lectures and chem lectures, but you'll have to read the book in your own time to master the material.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol, Science Faculty has almost the worst of everything. We have at least 5-6 Contact Hours Per week which includes Lectures, Tutorials, Labs. You can see the class details for your course on the UNSW Online Handbook.

Also, unlike Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, we have exams. First Exam is called the mid-session (1st Year BIOS courses excepted), and Second is the Final Examination which may be 2-3 hours for both.

But!! When you come out, you're in one of the most prestigious and rewarding jobs, not a degree where every international student takes.

Anyway Biology Lectures can be skipped most definitely.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hahaha. did I not warned everybody that BIOS1101 lectures are a waste of time? :D

Rekkusu, are you thinking of doing Genetics?

Affinity

HSC
Rekkusu said:
But!! When you come out, you're in one of the most prestigious and rewarding jobs, not a degree where every international student takes.
/QUOTE]
Thought you get mroe internationals in science than arts

Rekkusu

HSC
affinity said:
Thought you get mroe internationals in science than arts
I could be wrong :santa: I think yes, more international students go into science than Arts, but for one thing that's true - most internationals go into Faculty of Commerce & Economics, hence why it's such a rich faculty.

@Survivor: Your advice is as solid as one from a Jedi, you can both read what's in our minds and also give us wise advice :)

I cannot believe how boring the Biology lectures were!! And even if you have read the Textbook pages, some of the stuff from the exam isn't even based on it! This year's BIOS1101 exam even had a weird question saying (I'm rephrasing here) "Based on Professor Archer's lectures, what was the BioBlob?"
Anyway yup! I'm doing it as the 2nd major stream, I was thinking of touching pathology as well, till I rang up and asked what the Pre-Reqs were for PATH2201, and...I rethought and placed in electives in my free spaces. Did you also do Genetics?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yep, most of my friends did PATH2201 and they thought it was fantastic. The final exam wasn't too difficult from what I've heard. I kind of regret not picking it. oh well.

The pre-requisite for PATH2201 is ANAT2241 Histology, which I did. It was a difficult course but enjoyable because there is a really good lecturer who will teach you in the lab component as well.

I did BIOS2621 Advanced Genetics (Same as 2021 but with extra assignments and harder exams). Basically I didn't really get a lot of the materials taught in that course. hahahaha (I know it sounds bad :(). The lectures were mostly boring but not as bad as BIOS1101. So my advice is: probably don't do it unless you need it as a pre-requisite for third year courses. The course is also a WAM-killer. :p

Rekkusu

HSC
=( Unfortunately when I rang up the office, these were the Pre-Reqs for PATH2201:

PATH2201 Pre Reqs:
ANAT2241 + ANAT1510 + Any one of the following: ANAT2111, PHPH2101, BIOC2101, BIOC2181

Not only that, ANAT1510 runs exactly at the same time as PATH2201 in semester 2, so I'm kind of confused as to how I can even take pathology >< Unless if I was suppose to take ANAT1510 in first year.

xD Sounds like taking Normal Genetics is the better option then! :wave: haha but with all the microbio or immunology I'd love the advanced ones!
Aw without all the materials being taught fully, the exams must have been hard!

I'm taking the micr2201, bioc2181, a phil course and 2 gen eds. I wanted to choose anat2241, but when I found out that anat students needed Mid-Sess tests + Final exam tests + the amount of work to do, I was thinking otherwise...unless if I wanted to major in Anatomy. Though from your viewpoint anatomy sounds pretty fun!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think the office is incorrect. Only Exercise and Sport Science people can enrol in ANAT1510 Introductory Histology for Health and Exercise Science. So there is no way you could have enrol in that course in the first place.

I think what they meant was either ANAT2241 OR ANAT1510 plus one of....

Anyway, I thought Histology was fun. But I never did any Gross Anatomy though.

Rekkusu

HSC
Hm interesting...I suppose I could give it a try Pathology still, but I already have 2 majors - Immuno & Genetics...

Well I asked Ms. Polly one of the Honours coordinator for path and she said I could enrol in ANAT1510...but maybe she didn't know the full requisites required for PATH2201.

I'll ask again after Christmas day =p Thanks for picking this up dude!

mr EaZy

HSC
thanks for all the replies

can i ask... is it possible to do the two bio subjects in one semester: the science faculty said NO! well they said that one of them isnt offered in summer... which isnt true... so ill try enrolling in both anyway

so lectures are a waste of time? cool, thnx, ill just put them at the end of my day so that if its not worth it, ill just walk off

its strange how they you have to choose a set of 3 lectures to go to to fill up the 3 hrs of lectures- i mean cant i pick and choose? i think ill be doing that anyway

what about chem lectures- are they worth going to?

mr EaZy

HSC
the science office is probably the most incompetent office in all of unsw - i once went there , and the girl didnt even bother coming to the desk and i had to call out what i wanted - unbelievable lol

if you go there, try speaking with the assoc dean or someone qualified

Rekkusu

HSC
This will depend upon the BIOS courses you're taking. To be more concise, I think UNSW have changed BIOS1201 to BABS1201 for all students commencing in Session 1, 2007.

BIOS1201 is offered in Session 1 usually, then BIOS1101 is offered in Session 2. The reason why you can't do both, is because 1101 requires 1201 as a Pre-requisite. Summer Courses for these 2 aren't offered, and since my time I don't think they were offered either.

So...check up on the Co-requisites or Pre-requisites for your 2 courses + Session Offering, the Science Student Centre shouldn't be wrong...technically, but you never know! :p

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
mr EaZy said:
the science office is probably the most incompetent office in all of unsw - i once went there , and the girl didnt even bother coming to the desk and i had to call out what i wanted - unbelievable lol

if you go there, try speaking with the assoc dean or someone qualified
Haha. Sounds like they have a bad reputation. What exactly were you asking? Which two "bio courses" were you asking about? If you were talking about BIOS1201, BIOS1101 - they run in different semesters. You also can't do BIOC2101 and BIOC2181 at the same time, they are excluded(they are like the higher, lower levels of the same subject). And basically no BIO* courses are offered in summer. If I recall correctly, no BIO* courses are offered at all.

And yes, they have changed the course codes to confuse us all more.

Last edited:

mr EaZy

HSC
yes, thanks

but ive asked them questions before like:

ME:"im going to transfer from comm/law to sci/law"
HER: "you cant do that, you need to do it through the UAC,"
Me: ????

you just have to lodge a form at the law office

ME: "im going to transfer...."
Commerce fac: "if u do that, all ur law subs will be lost!"
ME : ???

NOT True

ME: i want to know what electives i can do
her: You cant have electives in a double degree (the course outline says i can)

mr EaZy

HSC
see how if there's 3 hours of lectuers
you must choose SET A or SET B

can i pick and choose? like im gonna do it anyway, but will there be a teaching gap between different lectuerers? it happened for a while in one of my comm lecs where one lecturer was really slow and if i decided to turn up to a different teacher's they'll be ahead by a class

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)