Hours to study per night (1 Viewer)

T

Testpilot

But the thing with the HSC is that no question is out of the 'norm'. There's really only a type A, B or C question for each syllabus dot point.

DaveYoung

Awesome
HSC
Shadose said:
0 hours? What have you've been doing with all that time?
Reading, Drawing, Running a Business, Guitar...stuff like that.

undalay

HSC
Testpilot said:
But the thing with the HSC is that no question is out of the 'norm'. There's really only a type A, B or C question for each syllabus dot point.
When i say out of the norm, i simply mean, questions that are not regularly encountered yet they still relate to the syllabus dot point.
I'll assume you do mathematics since you want to do engineering next year. For example:

There are two lines, x^2 and x+2. What is the x coordinate where the y of the straight line where is furthest away from the y of parabola and above it. Question's like this are not hard, but people trip on them because they are not seen often.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
undalay said:
I still disagree, sorry if it feels like i'm arguing with you :/

For mathematics for example, if you just do textbook questions, and solve them all in a cookie cutter manner, once a question comes up that slightly deviates from the norm, alot of people would be unable to do it. Similarly, you could have absolute knowledge of the entire syllabus etc, but not understand what is the correct format of presenting the information.

I won't talk about intelligence, as we'll eventually end up in 'does the hsc indicate intelligence' debate once more.
Maths may be an exception... but a lot of it is still memorising stuff.... and not everyone does it either so you can't judge the whole HSC on it.

There is no debate to be had. The HSC does not indicate intelligence. You can argue otherwise all you like but you would still be just as wrong.

bleu

HSC
Intelligence is by no means COMPLETELY irrelevent.

Of course, lots of effort and hard work is essential.

But people who are intelligent are just as capable of putting in the effort, and if they do so will get a better UAI then someone less intelligent that works just as much.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
bleu said:
Intelligence is by no means COMPLETELY irrelevent.

Of course, lots of effort and hard work is essential.

But people who are intelligent are just as capable of putting in the effort, and if they do so will get a better UAI then someone less intelligent that works just as much.
Maybe not completely but definitely in comparison to the importance of effort it is basically irrelevant.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
The HSC is designed so that it rewards hard work, not intelligence. Reasons for that is so that it creates a level playing field with everyone across the entire state.

Intelligence is a factor in determining marks, but it all boils down to the amount of work that a person does in the long run. Thats why at my school, its always the dumber kids (i like to call them "idiots") who get first in subjects, while the smarter ones are always at second or third.

[/thread]

shayla

HSC
Hmmm. My tutor wants me to atleast do a minimun of half an hour of study but now i think he wants me to do atleast two hours or something like that. Meh ill see how i go cause my exams didnt go to good so i need to do more study.

Zephyrio

HSC
Intelligence is not COMPLETELY irrelevant when it comes to the HSC.

But I agree that most of your marks will come from how much devotion/hard work you put into a subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)