• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Housing near university(uts kuringai) (1 Viewer)

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
hi guys!
well the count is on...and im considering my choices for university next year, because i live pretty far away from the city, kuringai is even futher...my teacher estimated it would take approx. 2hrs to get there and 2hrs to get back ( he was a ex-kuringai stuudent)
because i cant read or write in the train/bus living home is not the best option for me
thus i was looking at living near kuringai, ive looked at a few real estate sites, and the rental prop avg. was 230$ a week, i dont have a jot and if i did rely on centrelink it will only pay half of that for me. i dont like the idea of univeristy housing, as i dont like noise..lol i might b a little picking, but if i was to get a house outside of university housing, would the govt or UTS help me out? or is there some quiet place with cheap rent?
ps. i dont htink i have any fwends going up to kuringai besides me...so flatmate option seems out of the question!
all your input will be valuable
thanks!

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
sometimes it's easier to live at home.
i don't have a job, and at home i don't have to pay for food and bills and rent.
it takes me 2 hours each way to uni, and i can't read on the train cos i get sick. but at the moment, for me travelling is an easier option than having major money problems.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
UTS Housing is all at city campus anyway so it still takes a while to get to K-Gai.

Your best bet would be trying to find a room in a sharehouse, the rent will be much cheaper then and a lot of things are supplied sometimes like fridges and some furnature.

To live on your own the rent is really expensive.

An interesting way to look at it is like this.

Say you have uni on four days a week, and it is a two hour trip each way to uni. That is 16 hours a week.

How many hours a week will you have to work to earn enough to pay your rent? I would say it would likely be more than 16 hours. So is it worth moving out? Not to mention all your living and studying costs.

Maybe start looking on uni notice boards closer to when you will be moving out for rooms in a sharehouse.

What sort of income will you have? Do you know for sure you will recieve centrelink benefits? Some people believe they will just by moving out of home which isn't true.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Thats true tomorrows_angel. Just because you seem to live far away from uni, doesn't mean that you always move out of home. I travel 2 1/2 hours, even up to 3 hours to and from uni, 4 or so days a week. I can read and study on the train, however, most of my time is spent talking, listening to music or sleeping. I bet that after the first week, that you will find someone who travels the same way as you do. And when you start uni, I dunno about UTS, but try and construct the timetable to suit travelling times - but that can be fixed later :p

Mike iE

HSC
I've seen ads up around the campus for housing in Lindfield, Roseville, Pymble etc for between $140 - 190 a week.

Raj2004

HSC
As a current UTS Kuring-gai student, it takes me about 45+mins to drive to uni and 45+mins back. I suggest you live somewhere in Hornsby or Pennant Hills, as the train station is close by and travelling by train is fairly fast. Also there is a bus that takes students from Lindfield station right to the uni for around 80c or something? It also drops you at Linfield station after uni. Your best bet would be to rent property in suburbs on the Northern and North Shore rail lines as even though rent might be slightly higher than other places, you'll make up for this through cheaper transport costs. If you were to drive to uni, buy a small car. Big engines are a headache.....i do 50kms a day and petrol prices aren't going down....that's $80 every week JUST on petrol

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
Mike iE said:
I've seen ads up around the campus for housing in Lindfield, Roseville, Pymble etc for between $140 - 190 a week.
are those shared accomadiation? or uts apartments? or other?

Mike iE

HSC
Private listing, not UTS - and i'd say they'd be shared, so you'd get a room in a 3-4 room house/apartment

HSC
I moved out of home for university this year and it's a bitch! The freedom is nice but other than that it can get a bit much. Think of it this way, time in transit reading your uni textbooks, is better than time spent cleaning and cooking and getting distracted by housemates and your freedom from parents. Maybe travel for your first year or semester until you get the swing of things and then look at moving out!
:)

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
yea, it seems like staying home for a year might b the best way to go....
thanks for ur input guys!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well if you don't want to share with people because you don't like noise you are really going to be looking at forking out a lot of money, so it is probably the best choice.

I don't like noise either.... grrrr my stupid yank flatmates are generating a ton of it right now, and I am trying to write an essay.... la la la la la la *rocks back and forward with hands over ears*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)