how about Speaking EXAM (1 Viewer)

kutishmeL

Ok.. I actually don't mind writing, reading or listening I'm more nervous on the Speaking Exam. Mine is coming (French Continuers) on 30th of August 2003.

10 minutes of talking is so easy to say. But it is like having a job interview for the first time. Your nervous and you wouldnt know exactly what to say. Well that's what really puts me down. Sure I can make up sentences and write letters, but having to think quick enough to reply to the examiner is quite a challenging job.

I'm not a native speaker, and the only student doing the course in that whole year. Having to do it by myself not having to talk much in French, is really difficult. Is there any tips and advices you could reply to make it a little bit easier for me? It would be great.

Thankz

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
make up answers to common questions and memorise them!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
practise answering qs with urself, get ur parents 2 ask random qs in english and go off on ur own and answer in french
be prepared for very random qs from the examiners as they are aware most ppl memorise answers and wanna see how much more than the memorised answers people can answer

emily

learn answers, talk to yourself constantly, even talk to your bookshelf or something so you can practise out loud!
watch the french news and come up with cool things to say in between answers while you're thinking about what to say next, like
d'ailleurs, voyons, de cette facon etc

bonne chance tout le monde :)

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by kutishmeL

10 minutes of talking is so easy to say. But it is like having a job interview for the first time. Your nervous and you wouldnt know exactly what to say.
Having done 2U and 3U I wasn't nervous at all in my job interview - I just thought to myself "Hey! It's in English! How hard can it be? :p"

I think most of the good advice has already been said - you need to be spontaneous but also have a core of solid sentences and delaying phrases to fall back on. I remember at school our speaking tests would start easy to ease us in, then spring some difficult questions by picking up threads/hints from what you said earlier. In my HSC I made a throwaway remark about Australian universities and ended up talking about the misallocation of research funds, which was ok because I knew the vocab and had given the topic a bit of thought already cos I was asked that in my half-yearly :).

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by babydoll_
its tapis volant
did i write it wrong?
Originally posted by kini mini
In my HSC I made a throwaway remark about Australian universities and ended up talking about the misallocation of research funds, which was ok because I knew the vocab and had given the topic a bit of thought already cos I was asked that in my half-yearly :).
wow did u get good marks? (well overall if u dont get ur speaking mark)

Shocker_85

i dont do french...just did a bit in yr 9 when i came 2 oz...then in year 10...
i came to c for a friend who doesnt like speaking either.....
she has it on Saturday aswell.....

emily

98!

crap, i'm aiming for 85...

bergh, soo nervous and so incredibly screwed - we had a practise at school yesterday and i had to stop every couple of seconds - i know nothing! it's really quite sad actually, all this work for nothing - no matter how hard i try i have gotten 16 for every single speaking ive done!

btw, for those going to ravenswood for it - my teacher's one of the markers and she's weird - she really likes interupting you and leading you off down weird tangents, i recommend that if you have any major works you learn exactly how to talk about them!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
good luck every1!!! this time 2moro we will b sweet!!

emily - is ur pronunciation right?? to not b able 2 get over 16 sometimes it could b because of ur pronunciation (not accent).
but 16 is a great mark anyway!!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
it was ok/good

r u french?? i saw your post in the other thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)