How are textbooks compulsory? (1 Viewer)

Question2

HSC
N/A
Which portions of it do we really need to use? Do they test on things written in the textbook not written anywhere else, or just tutorial questions? If it's the latter, you could borrow a copy from the lbirary and photocopy it right?

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Lecturers tend to mention what chapters of the textbook you need to use. Unless specified, it's highly unusual (though not absolute) for them to test you on information that appears only in the text, but not the lectures. The textbook is often to help clarify, or give extra information, in regards to topics covered in lectures.

You can definitely go and photocopy it from the library, but there can be issues like the book being borrowed by other people, or photocopying getting expensive after a while.

Jonneeh

HSC
Depends on the lecturer and the course.

INFS1602 lecture notes were pretty much pictures + 5 words/slide so that wasn't very useful. All the assessments required to to at least touch the book at some point. therefore it was necessary.

My 1st year science subjects i bought textbooks for and all they ever did was collect dust. Lecture notes had more than enough information.

I think some library textbooks you can only borrow for a very limited time period. If you really need it and don't want to fork out the money buy it 2nd hand.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Depends what subject.

It could be extra material, the basis of the lecture notes, or just the place where the tute questions come from.

Question2

HSC
N/A
Taking MARK 1012, ECON 1101, MGMT 1001, FINS 1613...so far all the lecturers have mentioned that the textbooks are compulsory...but its not very clear why (other than tutorial questions).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I know for ECON1101 and FINS1613, lectures are based on the textbook - so it's nice to have an extra bit of reading to supplement the lectures which just summarise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)