How are uni essays different to high school ones? (1 Viewer)

lychnobity

HSC
Or should I write it how I normally would?

astroe

HSC
I was told to stop direct quoting and start paraphrasing. Quoting is considered as being lazy apparently.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It depends on how you quote. Big chunks of quotes are looked down upon. As is sentence after sentence of just quotes.

In critical essay, you usually need to establish a strong argument, as opposed to a discussion of content. You'll usually spend more time in google scholar than you normally would as well. :)

Lydia_88

HSC
also, you must reference the source of your quote, and paraphrase the example, because quote by quote tends to lower the quality of your essay.

You need to also include your own insights to your arguments

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
the reason they say not to quote is because any one can quote something, but a good student can understand what was said and put it in their own words. The only time you should quote directly is where quote expresses it in a fantastic way, the quote gives something extra to the idea or is really important.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
i like to make the quote part of the sentence so it flows. like: it is apparent that "this equals that" as it blah blah blah.
but i dont write a lot of essays.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
i like to make the quote part of the sentence so it flows.
Agreed, your quotes should always flow. You shouldn't really have to introduce a quote, in order for your sentence to make sense. Rough guide:

Hamlet contemplated whether to live or die: 'To be or not to be..." POOR USE

To live or die 'is the question' that led to eventual Hamlets downfall. BETTER USE

Hamlet's pondering of 'Whether it is nobler' to live or die reveals indecision as his harmatia. BEST USE

lychnobity

HSC
Thanks eveyrone, so other than the citing and quoting, the formal language and essay structure is the same?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Your use of language will probably be more sophisticated, but that probably comes with ability, and not uni. Essay structure remains much the same.

lychnobity

HSC
Your use of language will probably be more sophisticated, but that probably comes with ability, and not uni. Essay structure remains much the same.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Absolutezero again.

thank you

Bananaberry

HSC
I agree. Your language and writing techniques generally are to be more mature, utilise proper referencing techniques, use more references as you did in Hight School (professional journals and printed publications and less internet websites, no wikipedia), essay structure is generally the same. Use more aguments and references to support your views

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah you'll find that many first year uni students get a shock when they get the mark back from their first essay. It's because uni markers do have much higher standards than HSC markers, but there should be plenty of constructive feedback on it so you can improve for next time.

Things I've learned
- peer-reviewed articles only. In high school I don't think they worry about it, but in uni it's pretty much essential.
- reference pedantically.
- Be concise. That flowery shit language that HSC markers liked doesn't fly in uni. Get to the point.
- Be critical. Question the reliability of things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)