How bad is hospitality scaled? (1 Viewer)

Striker999

HSC
Hey guys.. i'm doing hospitality this year
and i'm just wondering how bad is it scaled?
And what mark will i need to get in order to get a UAI of 80+?!?
I'm also doing
Standard English
2U Maths
Biology
IPT
and HOS

^emmie^

HSC
i got a UAI of 87 and did hospo i got a mark of 90 though

mr.xx

HSC
N/A
You have to consider marks in your other subjects.

Use SAM, it'll probably be one of your best indications.

conundrum tea?

HSC
Hi
im doing Hosp. this year for my HSC...(also)
and im freaking out because everyone keeps telling me it scales down majorly because its easy. Is this true?
im aiming for a UAI anywhere above 80.
my other subjects are:
Bio,Modern Hist,Ancient,Advanced English
If there are any previous students of hospitality or really anyone who thinks they could help me understand this scaling fear i would much appreciate it to quell my paranoia
cheers
^_^

boris

Banned
HSC
It gets scaled down because it's a vegie subject.

ZJ NingNing

HSC
apparently it is pretty damn bad cos my best friend did it and she told me that it gets scaled down HEAPS. :uhhuh:

Dorabelle

HSC
its not the best scaled but it really does depend on your marks and also your rank in the class. if you do well in the rest of your subjects and hospo then you'll be fine.
and im sick of people saying that hospo is a vegie subject because it is simple but there is so much content its ridiculous!

conundrum tea?

HSC
oh ok...thanks
im not sure whether that is comforting or not
i guess ill have to wait and see...woot!
it is a vegie subject to DO
its just NOT a vegie subject to study for
with the amount of notes given equivelenting to a forest of paper there is a lot to do when it comes to exams.
thanks for ur opinions

Amon

HSC
the amount a class is scaled down changes with each year if every one did really really well in something like maths with only a small population doing it the marks would be scaled down a heap

^emmie^

HSC
i think as long as u do resonably well u dont get scaled down heaps i mean u have to expect that ur not gonning to get as good a scale compared to something like chemistry but yer if u go good in all other subjects ul be right

i cant understand why people go bad in it i mena its not like is that hard yer theres a lot of stuff but mainly u can just use common sense like i didnt study heaps for it espec compared to my other subjects and i still got 90 seriously its not that hard but for some reason ppl dont go good eg i was the first band 6 for my school ever but yer as long as u have common sense and no the termonoligy u will go ok

Zeestylez

HSC
^emmie^ said:
i got a UAI of 87 and did hospo i got a mark of 90 though
hey im also doing hospo this year n am hoping to get in the 90s also..

just wondering what were your techniques in studying for it? like i know its not a hard subject but for that reason i usually dont give it much attention.. but for the hsc i will actually put in more effort..
Did u just study booklets or other ways?

Also does your ranking matter in hospo or is it just the hsc mark?

lol sorry for annoying you but i was also looking at doing social science at UNSW.. whats it like?

all your time n answers will be greatly appreciated.. thanks

ema960

HSC
i did the HSC in 2006, i got a UAI of 96. i got 93 in hospitality. I also did bio (93), mathametics (didnt count but 74), adv english(86 something), food tech (93) and chem(85 something). scaling really means nothing if you get reasonable marks, and it differs year to year and shouldn't really be something you worry about, its all just admin stuff, you can't change it and its not important- seriously.
good luck for your exams.

JeffreyVongmany

HSC
ema960 said:
i did the HSC in 2006, i got a UAI of 96. i got 93 in hospitality. I also did bio (93), mathametics (didnt count but 74), adv english(86 something), food tech (93) and chem(85 something). scaling really means nothing if you get reasonable marks, and it differs year to year and shouldn't really be something you worry about, its all just admin stuff, you can't change it and its not important- seriously.

OMGG that makes me feel so relieved!

thats basically all the subjects i do, excluding 2 unit maths, i do pdhpe instead.

i plan on aiming about 95+ as well :)

jraFTW

HSC
yeah but if ur other subjects scale well its all even

i have mid terms next week. i think my hosp exam counts for 40%

better do well then.

Ashleigh King

HSC
You'll be fine...
Although to the person who wants 95+
I'd be more worried by the fact that you do Standard English and how that would be scaled as that is more likely to have a negative impact on ur UAI...
:blah: Ashleigh Subjects: Hospo, General Maths, Ancient History, Biology, Advanced English, English Extension One, English Extension Two

simplyyme

HSC

omgsh you dont understand how relieved i am now ! :D i was thinking that im so screwed for hsc because i did hospo and that my aim was a bit too out of reach..

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
omgsh you dont understand how relieved i am now ! :D i was thinking that im so screwed for hsc because i did hospo and that my aim was a bit too out of reach..
Hospo's scaling sure is horrible, but you can still get a good ATAR if you ace hospo because the better you do, the less scaling will negatively affect you :)

Larry01

HSC
I herd if u get a High Band 6 it will scale you up? but doesn't it cap off at 90

bbychocoholic

HSC
i'm coming first in my class BUT tbh, my classmates aren't the most studious or hard working of girls. and my teacher seems to be an easy marker and jsut ticks stuff rather than reading it in detail and stuff- she's been giving me like 90+ marks when half the time i barely know what i'm writing myself. so i'm really worried that when i do the exam for the HSC, my answers won't be right or isn't what they're really asking for or not good enough...

does anyone have any advice???

lil poppit

HSC
I got my hospo prelims half yearlies in 2 weeks. Its not that hard is it?

Btw.. I'm still haven't completely understood this scaling thingo.

If I do good in the HSC for Hospo, but my majority of those that also do Hospo gets like say.. 60% or something, and i got 90%, my mark would be the same but my atar would be lower?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)