How can I better prepare myself for such a competitive degree? (1 Viewer)

ROCKNROLLA

HSC
N/A
I left school after I received my Year 10 Cert. and am now 23 years old - basically left (big mistake) because I didn't know what I wanted to do so just worked. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity of learning what I wish I had which was the basics of Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics. Basic mathematics I'm fine, financial planning I do all the time though I'm hoping to get into a Bachelor of Veterinary Science degree although it seems I have a long road ahead.

So far its panning out something like this:

- July 2012 (Or Feb 2013): Complete my Tertiary Certificate through TAFE (1 year) in which I'll also do my STAT exam and partake in the STAT exam prep. classes, from what I've been told from the staff at the University of Sydney if I did well enough to get into any course my best bet would be Bachelor of Science or in particular one suggested to aim for Bachelor of Veterinary Animal Bioscience. If I can keep my GPA up through out my first year I will definitely be considered as a mature aged entry student into Bachelor of Veterinary Science (not to mention proving my dedication to animal welfare such as work experience, volunteer work, short courses and volunteer work).

Trouble is I'm basically a novice when it comes to University level (maybe even high school level) Chemistry/Biology/Physics/Mathematics and that's what I would hope to focus on doing my Tertiary Certificate and all since at the end of the day I'd need to be doing well in those subjects anyway if I ever stood a chance at gaining entry into Bachelor of Vet. Science. So all in all whats my best best to start from scratch and learning the subjects previously listed? Are there 'crash courses' or atleast some kind of 'Chem 101' courses available or is my only bet to try and find a good tutor and hope they show me the ropes?

I figure once I have a better understanding of the foundation of Chem/Bio/Physics/Advanced Maths I'll be fine but being blind sided and sitting in a class not knowing what the teacher is talking about isn't something I want to go through. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks! :D

EDIT: So unfortunately I wouldn't begin university until 2014, hopefully Bachelor of Veterinary Animal Bioscience and then in 2015 be accepted into Bachelor of Vet. Science - gives me plenty of time to do volunteer work/short courses etc related to animal health and well being.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think there are Bridging Courses for those subjects... try those?

ROCKNROLLA

HSC
N/A
I think there are Bridging Courses for those subjects... try those?
Thanks for the reply! Seems like a okay idea, though prices and scheduling seem a bit crazy. Each is 7 days, once a year (from what I could see), 9am - 5pm and $350 plus text books but may be what I need to be up to/surpass HSC levels. Any other ideas?

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I'm unsure if you have already begun TPC or are planning to enrol. I'll assume the latter.

Perhaps start by completing a 6-month year 10 refresher course (Cert II Skills for Work and Study) @ TAFE in July; that will help you to gain both knowledge and confidence in the subject areas you feel you are lacking. Then in feb 2013 you can enrol in the TPC and learn what you need to know for (Vet) science.

I'm currently completing my TPC and I have found (most) teachers to be excellent in their subject matter, in fact I am enjoying the course better than I did the HSC at school (HSC sux). If you have any trouble at TAFE during your courses, there are plenty of learner support services available. At my TAFE I receive one-on-one tutoring for free, and there's also a place in the library where you can go and see teachers spontaneously if you need help with maths/sciences/whatever.

Good news is if you do the TPC all major universities will accept it (unlike some of the 'bridging' courses at uni; some unis don't accept them all), and if you're on centrelink you'll only have to pay $52 for the total course, and if not, pay full price and get all your money back (yes, a refund!) at the completion of your course.

Don't rush yourself. Learn what you need to know before entering uni so you give yourself the best chance of success in your degree (it's much cheaper too).

ROCKNROLLA

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the reply :D And yes it was the latter. I wasn't sure there was a year 10 refresher course, will look into it now - I see where you're coming from too, I attempted my HSC previously (maybe 2 years ago) but dropped it as I couldn't handle the work load and was still not 100% what I wanted to do, plus basing my university entrance on my ATAR and competing against those finishing year 12 wasn't exactly ideal. I'm told by enrolling as a mature aged student (through TPC etc) the good thing is I only compete for the spots against other TPC students so hopefully that increases my chances. The careers counselor was quite helpful also, seems like there is quite a lot of assistance available which is always good.

How do you get your money back when you complete the course?

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Oops, sorry.

There's a form to be filled out at the end of the course (obtain from student admin).

x3Reii

HSC
I have a friend that made it into vet this year and he said 'it's really, really hard' but not only that it is VERY competitive and is one of a handful of courses which has the most contact hours! Unfortunately, you'll need to be able to know HSC level biology and chemistry (not so sure about physics) and know it well. I heard they go into very complicated concepts in the first semester of first year. My friend topped biology at my school and he said people were complaining in lectures that the content was way too hard for a first year. This is at USYD btw. You must be very committed to university to enter and pass the course.

However, I also heard that they're considering changing vet science to a post-grad course next year. So maybe you can still get in after completing B Sc or B Vet Animal Bioscience with Distinctions/HD's!

ROCKNROLLA

HSC
N/A
Well it is a medical degree so of course its going to be very very hard ;) Can't say I'd put in 5-6 years of my life and ~$10k+ per year and not make it my number one priority though, kind of why I'm glad I didn't go to uni at 18yo because I would've done something I don't think I'd enjoy as much career wise.

So maybe you can still get in after completing B Sc or B Vet Animal Bioscience with Distinctions/HD's!
Yeah I can, I've spoken with the Vet faculty at USYD and they confirmed that if I do well in a degree like that I'd have a better chance at acceptance - they actually suggested I look into doing B Vet Animal Bioscience my first year. Will be working on perfecting it from 'A-Z' in all relevant subjects though, definitely not expecting anything in the degree to be easy.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Bridging courses are shit.

You're best to do chem/bio/maths yourself with textbooks and a tutor or something.

Can't you do the HSC level of those subjects at TAFE?

Also, BIOL1101 - Concept in Biology, from what I've been told is on par with year 11 and 12 biology and you should probably be able to do well on it with year 10 and below science knowledge and chemistry knowledge.
So focus more on chem and maths. (probably do extension one level maths if you can)

Last edited:

ROCKNROLLA

HSC
N/A
You're best to do chem/bio/maths yourself with textbooks and a tutor or something. Can't you do the HSC level of those subjects at TAFE?
That's what I'm hoping for - next year I'll be doing the Tertiary Preparation Course which prepares mature aged students or non-recent school leavers for university. I'm not 100% whether they'll start at basic knowledge and then go into the more advanced stuff or not but I'd much prefer it if they did so other than that I'll have to look out for 'catch up classes' for the main required subjects or as you mentioned, textbooks and a tutor. Main thing is I try and achieve an advanced level of understanding/knowledge when it comes to Biology/Physics/Chemistry/Maths, complete the TPC and STAT multiple choice, gain entrance into something like Bachelor of Animal Veterinary Bioscience for 1 year and I keep a GPA average of 3.00 (I think). Because I'm not a HSC student I have to show my GPA in another course before being able to transfer into BVSc so I'd need to complete atleast 1 year in another degree.

Last edited:

ROCKNROLLA

HSC
N/A
Anyone have experience with the UPC offered at Uni of Syd? To be considered in the degree I'm after I'd only have to attend every Sat (9am - 1pm) for UPC Science and every Mon (6pm-8pm) from March - September. But if I chose to do the TPC at TAFE I think it'll be a lot more class time and it asks you complete Biology/Chemistry/Mathematics/English.

amour

Female
HSC
Hey, I'm applying to Vet Science at Usyd for 2013 entry. I was speaking to the faculty heads of Vet Science and they said there is strong speculation to changing Vet Science to a post-grad degree after 2013. (just thought you'd might be interested)

Jewls

HSC
N/A
I have a friend that made it into vet this year and he said 'it's really, really hard' ... You must be very committed to university to enter and pass the course.
I feel the second part of this is more true than the first. It isn't necessarily hard, just have to put in many hours of rote learning.

As some government ministers suggested a few years ago:
The high (but declining) entry requirements are due to high demand for the course and not the ability to perform the job. Many vets leave the profession because it isn't challenging enough.

But to spend 5 years at vet school to not get a job is becoming more and more of a concern, see here: http://ausvetnet.wordpress.com/

inJust

HSC
O.P. just reading this thread and thought I'd say I really admire that you're going back to education. Most people who drop out after year 10 really lose motivation to go back. I'm really inspired by your motivation and dedication towards coming back and achieving your dreams.
Keep it up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)