How can I improve my marks to get UAI 98.65? (1 Viewer)

pet0503

HSC
Currently, i have failed two HSC assessment tasks so far.
Ive got my Half yearly coming up, and they are almost like 10%~30% weigh..
How can i improve my result:(?
For prelim yearlys i studied till 2am but my marks were terrible......
can anyone share their study tips please:(?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
risole91 said:
study more..
...effectively.

Study more effectively.

Make notes, and study more consistently.

The HSC is not hard. Its not difficult. There are no tricks or shortcuts. You dont need to be studying until 2am. If you're still having trouble, and can afford it, invest in some tutoring...but it will be useless if you have no consistency with your study.

All I can suggest is get into a routine. Do summaries for your work, each week (meaning, not last minute). Network with other students and group study. There are people out there that achieved the marks you are hoping for through "cramming", but make it easier on yourself and start taking the HSC seriously.

ccc123

HSC
Studying until 2am is by no measure an indicator of productive study, but rather, implies to me you crammed and subsequently failed.

Study consistantly. Don't leave it until 2am. Revise on a weekly basis, dedicating an 1hr a week to each of your subjects, and more were assessments are imminent.

Last edited:

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Oh Hey Cool Redundancy Woooo

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Stop whinging and worrying about failing.

Study, study and study CONSISTENTLY.

Failing assessments worth 10% are not to stress over. Just kill every other exam that comes your way.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
The most obvious way: Forget about this forum and even the internet and rush yourself into the library and study!

Why don't you go to bed at 11.00 and wake up at 6.00? Stop chatting in class (the most possible reason for crap results) and ignore silly classmates? Ask the questions you don't understand rather than caring 'Am I understanding a bit more than him or her'? 'cuz that put you into a stupid rivalry!

Hey people, how do you taking notes? I, sort of, summarize info from text books and jot into my notebooks. My friends all try to take as many notes as possible when listening to my teachers but I rarely do. Can't understand why they have to take notes on things readily available from the text books???

It's said: 'stick to the syllabus'. It's not correct, isn't it? That's how people are confining themselves and deprive their minds from knowing extra stuff. Some of my friends always carry the syllabus and whinge everytime the teachers give stuff they consider to be out of the syllabus! Why don't just study everything in the text books and everything told by teachers and chuck the syllabus away? That's less stressing!

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
I didnt get 98.65, but i know heaps of people that got over that.

Some posts above really give you some good tips.
-Study Ahead
-Study consistently
-KNOW YOUR SYLLABUS!!
-Organisation is very very important!
-Revise work every week
-Give some time for yourself eg watch an episodes of simpsons for a break, but only for a reward from studying.
-Schools marks do not matter, only ranks
-Kick ass in ranks and theres nothing stopping you from getting 98.65...other than your performance in HSC exams =D

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
drynxz said:
-Study Ahead
-Study consistently
-KNOW YOUR SYLLABUS!!
-Revise work every week
-Give some time for yourself eg watch an episodes of simpsons for a break, but only for a reward from studying.
-Kick ass in ranks and theres nothing stopping you from getting 98.65...other than your performance in HSC exams =D
You're cool, man. Wonder why you didn't get 99.00:(

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
haha thx man. Lol only because 99+ is really hard to get!, and also I stuffed up my internal assessments (3rd term task)
But you guys have a whole year ahead of you, so work hard and it will be all good in the end.
Undermyskin goodluck with your aim, because you had the exact same aim in course and UAI that i had a year ago =)

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Hope I won't step in your footprints... Oops I mean... I hope your wish would come true!

I'm just kidding...lolz

Last edited:

konstantine'

HSC
pretty much everyone has echoed it here, consistency. make sure when you learn the stuff for the first time, know it well enough so it wont take you up to 2am to revise!! anyway, goodluck with it.

vizman

HSC
drynxz said:
I didnt get 98.65, but i know heaps of people that got over that.

Some posts above really give you some good tips.
-Study Ahead
-Study consistently
-KNOW YOUR SYLLABUS!!
-Revise work every week
definitely follow drynxz's advice. I, like you, didn't do that well after the first set of exams but subsequently improved. I did end up doing fairly well :D

Kujah

HSC
N/A
The most obvious way: Forget about this forum and even the internet and rush yourself into the library and study!
Don't need a library to study.

Why don't you go to bed at 11.00 and wake up at 6.00? Stop chatting in class (the most possible reason for crap results) and ignore silly classmates? Ask the questions you don't understand rather than caring 'Am I understanding a bit more than him or her'? 'cuz that put you into a stupid rivalry!
I chat alot in class, and I don't believe its the main reason for the "crap results". On the contrary, I think its productive if its class-related and sometimes fun and entertaining to lighten up the usual dull routine of school. But I agree with you there on the questions. If you're not sure, ask away!

Hey people, how do you taking notes? I, sort of, summarize info from text books and jot into my notebooks. My friends all try to take as many notes as possible when listening to my teachers but I rarely do. Can't understand why they have to take notes on things readily available from the text books???
Because teachers often give information and hints that you will scarcely find in a textbook. I usually write notes when my English teacher is talking about our set text for AoS last term. He gave valuable insights about the content that you would not find in your ordinary Excel guide. Plus, its good to get extra information to collaborate your data. That's why teachers are so important! If not, what's the use of having them.

It's said: 'stick to the syllabus'. It's not correct, isn't it? That's how people are confining themselves and deprive their minds from knowing extra stuff. Some of my friends always carry the syllabus and whinge everytime the teachers give stuff they consider to be out of the syllabus! Why don't just study everything in the text books and everything told by teachers and chuck the syllabus away? That's less stressing!
Because anything tested will be based on the syllabus, and nothing else. Why put yourself through more stress, time and effort learning more information that will be irrelevant when it comes to examination period. Though, it does add extra perspectives and data for your overall "general" knowledge.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
vizman said:
definitely follow drynxz's advice. I, like you, didn't do that well after the first set of exams but subsequently improved. I did end up doing fairly well :D
May I ask, what did you end up getting? Just out of curiosity :D

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
hmm your getting the 'standard' tips, but i dont always feel their practical. Every1 is different, consistancy is not always the best method. If u draw up these 'timetables' it will literally last no more then a week-routines can become boring, tedious and hence non-effective. If ur forcing urself to study, then ur not studying as ur mind is distracted i.e. thinking about doing sumthing else.

I got 97.35, its no 98 but it aint bad i guess. The main thing i would say is DONT STRESS THIS EARLY!!! I keep telling every1 that otherwise u will be fucked by the HSC.

My best piece of advice for studying is gain interest. Focus on parts of the course that u do find u like??? Attempt to make it fun or a challenge, discuss it with ur friends. This will sound stupid but basically every1 in my english class use to run around quoting King Lear or BNW- even though we didnt like it, but often ppl would randomly use the quotes in real life. Read other students work!!! Steal THEIR vocabularly and expand ur own- hell i did, particulalry in english.

The HSC is essentially a competition- its a huge playing field and only those that know how to play the game well get over 90 in the end- it is a RANK, so be competitive.

This depends of course on the type of person you are- but fuck anything ethical or moral. Help no one- if u want 98 u gotta be acing ur cohort first. Try and find an advantage in every assessment task. Eg's- i worked out (no one else did) that my economics teacher just used q's from past HSC papers for assessment tasks, taking them from papers since the 2001 specimen. Whilst everyone was busy studying the whole topic, i just went through every paper and learned the answers to the MC and practiced the short answers in relation to the topic. I scored 100 percent in every assessment for economics (bar the trial which was bought from an independent). Also if u do eco, read gittins and use his shit!!!!!!

Dont let anyone in on secrets u might work out- u want to beat ur friends. I ended up ranked first in every subject and that helped me a lot in the end. For maths i figured out that he used past papers from excel, get smart etc... so i studied them along with every single question from our main textbook.

For the sciences, i made summaries every holidays of the new dot points and make sure i ahd the easy ones rote learned- such as "describe contribution of a scientists..." I drew diagrams, had physics and chemistry formulas all over my wall.

History (i did ancient) i jsut made it into one big story- i then focused on learning quotes from historians, and lots and lots of sources- eg the Tomb of Ahmose Son of ebana at El Kab- we quoted stuff lik that to each other at lunch and even when we were pissed at partys. It sounds stupid but it makes it stick. For english read sample package band 6 answers. For King Lear, i used heaps of words written in past answers- learned them the nite of the HSC- gave my essay an edge (although i screwed BNW ran out of time). Make sure u practice timing in english. Find a good story, even if it isnt ur own and use it. What u write in an exam comes from ur memory so its very hard (unless its blatantly obvious) to be accused of plagarism.

Any non-exam assessments- lik posters, assignments- put a hell of a lot of effort in. In fact, u want nothing less then 100 percent for them. These are easy marks.

Overall, play to every advantage and stay ahead of ur year. Go into the HSC at the end of the year with incredible internals and u will be sweet. My mistake was nerves in the end and i was very tired and panicky. I still did well, scoring a few high band 6's particulalry in ancient, economics and chemistry. but i did no where near as well as i did in my trials (would of got me 99+ if i had performed like that). So yea- try and not get in a neg mind frame during the actual exams themselves, although that is very hard to avoid.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Undermyskin said:

Notes - I make a summary, then before exam period I summarise that summary. And you should take notes during class, as Kujah said, teachers can give you a different perspective to a subject. On top of that, the teachers set your internal exam, and often what they teach is in this exam. If you can regurgitate (sp?) this "extra" information, you can make up in some places you failed to complete.

Syllabus - stick to it. you will never (well, shouldn't) be asked something completely irrelevant to the syllabus.

My advice to you is you should stop praising textbooks like its the holy grail. I do Chemistry and Physics, and I assure you, the textbooks beat around the bush so much it is painful. 3 pages dedicated to one dot point can be summarised into a paragraph or two, which in turn can be summarised into 5-6 "points". Your teachers will help you dearly in the HSC year, make use of them. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)