How can I improve my maths and how do I know "you are correct". (1 Viewer)

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
Please help, I am hopeless at Maths and I get overwhelmed easily!

quickoats

HSC
My maths was decent and I definitely didn’t do 3 hours everyday... closer to maybe under an hour for both 3U and 4U combined.

Didn’t really bother with other schools’ past papers until a bit before trials, then just did a bunch of past HSC papers the week before the real exam.

If you’re bothered to do 3 hours of maths a day, then go for it!

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
Thanks, guys for the kind words, you guys are so sweet.

I don't know why that guy was coming off on a tangent (pun intended) and basically told me to do 3-hours a day.

Thanks studiesofboard and quickoats. For your insight on this.

quickoats

HSC

I don't know why that guy was coming off on a tangent (pun intended) and basically told me to do 3-hours a day.

Hscbuzman is just a troll, don’t worry about them. They’ve suggested crazy study habits on here before - “learn all the content before January otherwise you won’t get an ATAR above 90” is another one of them. As long as you’re doing enough study to be somewhat confident in your abilities, you’re doing fine.

Accurate

clix
HSC
My maths was decent and I definitely didn’t do 3 hours everyday... closer to maybe under an hour for both 3U and 4U combined.

Didn’t really bother with other schools’ past papers until a bit before trials, then just did a bunch of past HSC papers the week before the real exam.

If you’re bothered to do 3 hours of maths a day, then go for it!
Damn you killed maths, would you say you were naturally good at it?

Accurate

clix
HSC
Also where were you ranked internally at your school for MX1 and MX2

quickoats

HSC
Damn you killed maths, would you say you were naturally good at it?
Sort of naturally good at it I guess? I just had a lot of fun in maths classes in yr 11-12 so I enjoyed it enough to do well?

Also where were you ranked internally at your school for MX1 and MX2
1st for 4u and 6th for 3u

Accurate

clix
HSC
Sort of naturally good at it I guess? I just had a lot of fun in maths classes in yr 11-12 so I enjoyed it enough to do well?

1st for 4u and 6th for 3u
Any textbook recommendations for 4U and 3U? Also damn.

idkkdi

HSC

tbh, 3hrs+ sounds about right if you actually do all the Cambridge questions, and add on 4U.

beetree1

HSC
My school used their own print outs, but I found Cambridge questions to be generally good. The "secret" 4U textbook wasn't that useful to me tbh, I just used circle geo from that.
whats the 'secret' 4u textbook tho

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Please help, I am hopeless at Maths and I get overwhelmed easily!
Imo try to identify your weaknesses first, so for me it was doing the hard questions. Instead of being unable to do a hard question then checking the answers and being like "ok yep makes sense" then going to try another one and still failing - I tried to develop new thinking methods and strategies to approach future questions which helped a lot. Good luck :)

Personally past papers >>> textbook questions by a LOT but you can learn the basics from textbook questions I guess, and also everyone has different opinions about these. I had many of the 4u textbooks like terry lee, sydney grammar, etc, but none were as useful as past papers or even close to it.

Hscbuzman

HSC
Hscbuzman is just a troll, don’t worry about them. They’ve suggested crazy study habits on here before - “learn all the content before January otherwise you won’t get an ATAR above 90” is another one of them. As long as you’re doing enough study to be somewhat confident in your abilities, you’re doing fine.
That was not a troll comment and I am not a troll. Those who STUDY hard get GOOD ATARS! THANK YOU!

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
what's the grammar book?
grammar uses cambridge for 4u
I think he means the unpublished Cambridge book that gets used exclusively in Sydney Grammar because the author Bill Pender is/was the head math teacher there. It's considered a godly textbook because the questions are really really good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)