how can you study for english?!!! (1 Viewer)

abbylee

HSC
english is by far the hardest subject to study for..
its stupid..
can someone help me out, half yearly exam on friday!
ahh!
area of study is 'fitting in/making connections'
and we have to submit a piece of creative writing
help..?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Read a lot of texts and do a lot of practise essays. That's all I can say.

Cerry

HSC
Make sure you know quotes and techniques from your texts. You will be absolutely screwed without them. Other than that, just do lots and lots of practise essays, because that's really all you can do.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
You so don't, Simon. :p
Memorise a generic essay and just fill in the blanks for AoS, the name of the text, the character and the quotes :lol:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Memorise a generic essay and just fill in the blanks for AoS, the name of the text, the character and the quotes :lol:
Yeah, but he's referring to the SBHS way of doing things. Get the practice essay that the teacher set as a practice essay (or in many people's cases, take it off someone else), and memorise that same essay word for word, and parrot 5 typed pages in the exam.

And four weeks later, start crying when you get 12/20, because you didn't even answer the question.

English - Sydney Boys style. :)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Aerath said:
Yeah, but he's referring to the SBHS way of doing things. Get the practice essay that the teacher set as a practice essay (or in many people's cases, take it off someone else), and memorise that same essay word for word, and parrot 5 typed pages in the exam.

And four weeks later, start crying when you get 12/20, because you didn't even answer the question.

Hahaha :)

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
when constructing body paragraphs,

Argument
Technique
Example
Effect
Link

is yet to fail me. do heaps of practise paragraphs and try to find different ways at looking at the allocated text. read books/short stories associated with the AoS.

when doing creative writing in lazyass mode, try thinking of the funniest, most convoluted/absurd plotlines/ideas and go from there.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Know techniques and quotes for your core text and related text, practice writing essays and thats about all I did and I topped English in my half yearly.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
reading tasks - do past papers. lots and lots. its something that will come with practise.

essays - write many practise essays.
have a broad introduction for your subject, and then work out how you feel comfortable with your essay structure. i synthesise everything by concepts, but some people write theirs texts by texts.
establish your style.
then id get all my techniques, their effects, and my quotes, and dot point them. this seems basic, but once youve done practise essays, youll learn to quickly assess a question, organise you intro, thesis, and then work your techniques in, twisting them to the questions focus and your thesis.

if that makes sense

creative peices - have a basic story line. a strong central character. get to know them, and how theyd react to what ever stimulus is presented.

ive been ranked top in english since year 10.
so, yeah.
pm me if you want more or detailed examples.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
H4rdc0r3 said:
you write an essay, you memorise it.
I have been told NOT to do this as they can tell when a response is pre-prepared and it is a waste of time if your stimulus doesnt match

H4rdc0r3

HSC
Aerath said:

I sorta did that for half yearly... lets see what I get but then again I only spent half a night on it.

bv

HSC
my advice based on my comments i just got from my half yearly paper..
-know a good amount of relevant quotes, (appertly we were ment to have about 3 per text we rote about.
-know the themes of the topic u are studying
- when u no what u need to rite about make up a thesis and stick to it
- keep relating back to ur topic and thesis point.. make sure everything is relevant
-also re read over ur exam.. u are bound to find a couple things to fix up here and there(if you have enough time that is)

good luck

Salchow

HSC
Advice from a HSC veteran...if you guys are still doing a similar thing to journeys.

SEIL, SEPL, CR - I got this from a tutor at Pre-Uni. Got me a 90 for English.

State the position - refer back to question (1 sentence)
Elaborate (2/3)
Introduce the texts (2)
Link back to question (1)

State the text (1)
Explain what it talks about in relation to question (2/3)
Prove using quotes (3)
Link back to question (1)

Conclude (2)
Reinforce (1)

You only have 40 mins and in that time you need to cover the thesis paragraph, 2/3 main texts, 2 supp texts and 1 stimulus, plus a conclusion. That's 7 or 8 paragraphs and 5 mins maximum.

Your structure is critical. PROVING is also critical. In all, give your essays some deep, philosophical touch. All the best!

I really enjoyed Journeys, I hope you'll do well in whatever you have now too!

Last edited:
D

dillay

Memories quotes and techniques
Then practice applying them in essays over n over again

abbylee

HSC
right.. so maily memorise quotes, ill try, but the ones ive chosen are long, except for the ones from lyrics, ahh.. comparitive essay like style..
eek.
wish me luck.. ill need it..
thanks people..

Stressed MEGZ

HSC
English is the best to study for! But DoN't get me wrong i can understand your situation as mine is on friday to! I recommend you create study cards. Write short point on each one and revise them as mnay times as you can. Also practice writing essays related, write summaries of you topic. If you are say studying poetry such as Robert Frost's poem about his inner journey write a list of how the nner journey is conveyed in the poem. What techniques are used in his poem to emphasise or create emotions? What symbolism if any etc.
I can help you out alittle more if you tell me what you're studying? :karate: :eek:

For instance with a novel, make sure you understand and know the following:
Method of narration - i.e 1st , 2nd, 3rd person
Plot - orientation , rising action, climax , conclusion
know who protagonist is
be famiiar with characters
be able to give a review about what it's about
be able to reale it back to Area of study
Be able to recount and explain quotes.
be able to write a plot summary
be able to retell events
be able to relate events and characters to impact on Protagonist
Be able to describe the process of an inner journey in the novel (if there is one)

Feel free to ask me more!

justmeme

HSC
N/A
wasnt there a thread like this recently??

know your quotes man!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)