How come we dont get free transport, TAFE does? (1 Viewer)

pungpui

HSC
Why is it that TAFE people have the posibility of gaining a free transport card (if you live outside a radius or something), whereas uni people only get a concession price??

Discrimination?? Its not like we have a full time salary or something! (well, most of us!).

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
We should be greatful that we get a concession card!!! i thought tafe only gets a concession card as well.

Generator

HSC
N/A
As far as I know non-hsc tafe students only get a concession... Anyway, TAFE is a state responsibility and Uni (by and large) is federal... Given that it's a state (and not national) transit system the lack of free travel kind of makes sense. I'm sure that there are other considerations, but that seems to be the most obvious apart from variable employment and age levels throughout the uni student population.

It's a real bastard, though.

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
if you apply through Centrelink for youth asistance and u have a good reason why u can't drive to Uni they will actuallly pay u a considerable amount of money for ur fares...not enough for it to be free but assuming that fares are $5.00 they pay $1 sumthing.....it kinda helps....depending on ur situation (e.g poor or well-off) they will pay u more or less....this is assistance money....they don't just give it out to everybody (u have to be a full-time student though)

persephone

HSC
so when i go to uni and have to catch both a train and a bus i get a concession card? wow! i thought i was going to have to go through uni having to pay full fare... is that the only transport concession uni students get?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
we pay as students - which is exactly the same as a concession in price - but it does save me like $30 a week ... me happy :D except when it comes to private buses .. stupid buses they are so expensive :mad:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
as long as those weekly purple passes don't increase in cost ... its all fine :)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
the concession cards can only be used on state run transport systems - ie city rail and state buses. Most Private bus companies require a separate application. I know my local one requires you to apply every 6 months, send in a passport photo and get a special form from the student centre. Its a pain in the bum, so i dont bother coz i rarely catch my local buses.
Tis kinda annoying because its usually pretty obvious that you are a student, especially when you are carrying a load of textbooks.....

addz

HSC
Cape said:
as long as those weekly purple passes don't increase in cost ... its all fine :)

On Jan 4th
all sydney bus fares are increasing...

e.g brown concession travel tens go from 9.80->10.60
sucks...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
addz said:
On Jan 4th
all sydney bus fares are increasing...

e.g brown concession travel tens go from 9.80->10.60
sucks...
I meant the weekly tickets that you buy from the train machine.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yes I hope they don't increase either, otherwise go out an buy like a half-yearly or yearly TravelPass and avoid the increase in costs :p.

The uni concession cards allow you to travel at half price of the Adult peak fare on trains and half price on the STA busses (ie. concession prices). Asll weekly train tickets, TravelPasses and periodical tickets are half price of the adult fare.

As for private bus companies, you can usually pick up a seperate form at your uni (when you go to enrol for new students), which you get stamped by the uni and you send it to your company (eg. Westbus) and they send you out a concession card which is usually half price of the Adult fare (ie. child prices).

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
jasee said:
Yes I hope they don't increase either, otherwise go out an buy like a half-yearly or yearly TravelPass and avoid the increase in costs :p
A friend told me whose mum works for cityrail said that you can't get student discount on yearly ones or something ... cause they assume that we can't afford to purchase them.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
no, weekly..its a lot more expensive to pay full adult fare of yearly/quareterly than a weekly x 52

but you should consider getting one of those green/red/yellow/pink/purple passes
unlimited train, bus and ferry travel within certain zones. better than carrying a travel 10 AND a train pass.... but ah.. i just know i'll spend somuch just on travel! i work so its ok.. but still!!!!!!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, if you catch both train and bus to uni, its cheapest to get a weekly travelpass (in the appropriate colour)

I use the red one ($16 a week), and its good value if you travel around a lot

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ok, since I may or may not be moving this year, and I may or may not end up in Sydney, I may or may not be using public transport.
My question is, what are the different colours for and how much do they cost?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I buy the purple ticket ... which will let you travel anywhere on ferries, train and buses for a whole week. I think its about $27.00 or $27.50 or something like that but its really cheap considering how much you can actually use it.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
ok, since I may or may not be moving this year, and I may or may not end up in Sydney, I may or may not be using public transport.
My question is, what are the different colours for and how much do they cost?
http://www.cityrail.info/fares/travelpass.jsp

if ur in sydney, u really should use public transport (even though they'll cancel ur train... and if it isnt cancelled it will be late... and if u actually get on, it will smell yucky during peak hrs~ 7-10am, 5-7pm) because its cheap, and if ur gonna buy a car.. well u could most likely only afford a bomb before your textbook fees give you endless nitemares.. plus petrol costs suk!

Travelpasses are good... coz at least if the train is late, prehaps you could just make it in time for the bus (but i hate buses.. they NEVER arrive nor depart at the rite time..EVER!!!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)