how competitive will it be to get a job after graduating from uni (1 Viewer)

donkily

HSC
N/A
how long will it usually take to get a job once you graduate from uni and how competitive is the job market

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If you want some stats, about 67% of uni graduates find full time employment within 4 months of graduating.

Keeping in mind this is any full time job, not necessarily one related to the degree.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it doesn't get easier so if a good opportunity arises before graduation, go for it.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
There is always plenty of work in Sydney. You will find work no matter if its a well paid or low paid job.

Just my two cents.

My tip is to study hard and balance it with social stuff, lifestyle and maybe a part time or casual job.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
There is always plenty of work in Sydney. You will find work no matter if its a well paid or low paid job.

Just my two cents.

My tip is to study hard and balance it with social stuff, lifestyle and maybe a part time or casual job.
I assume op is asking about grad programs given they are discussing completing a tertiary education.

amberfx9

HSC
Uni Grad
Many graduates think their first job will determine their future career path. "It won't. You will change. The world of work will change, so try to think instead about what you'd like to do in the next 12-24 months to make the decision more manageable because the job market is very competitive.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Play the game smart and you'll be OK. My recommendation is that in a 4 year degree you need to accumulate at-least 2 years of relevant industry experience to be in a comfortable position.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Play the game smart and you'll be OK. My recommendation is that in a 4 year degree you need to accumulate at-least 2 years of relevant industry experience to be in a comfortable position.
It does vary a bit by degree/field though; grad jobs / clerkships in law is a different beast altogether.

enoilgam

HSC
Play the game smart and you'll be OK.
It sounds so simplistic, but I couldn't agree more. Obviously, it varies by degree/field, but the key to gaining work is understanding your industry and the steps needed to get a job. The market for graduate/entry level roles is usually quite tough, but I find that most people who fail to get work are in that position because they dont have the right strategies in place. Going to uni and getting good marks is not sufficient for most fields. You cant go through uni solely focusing on the degree, you need to diversify your skill set and engage in career development early on - not doing so is just setting yourself up for failure later.

Neil_

HSC
As long as you're not doing just arts by itself you'll most likely find a job.

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
I mean seriously, what's the worst that could happen? Can the employers actually do anything?
They can find out you're employment history through references

Also how competitive would it be to get part time employment when you graduate from uni? Say you wanted to study uni part time and wanted to work part time how competitive would it be getting a part time position? (when you've done uni for 6 years and already have done an honours in some degree but wanted to study part time for fun)

si2136

HSC
N/A
I mean seriously, what's the worst that could happen? Can the employers actually do anything?
Depends on which industry, I guess. But many companies have connections with others, and they'll definitely blacklist you. But I guess as people say, high risk high reward right?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
no besides not hire u or fire u in most circumstances

If you're in a professional role where there's a professional body/qualification (eg CA, CFA, etc) and you get blacklisted there, you'll find it tough to find employment again in the same field (at least locally), and you probably wouldn't be able to get a reference for a new role either. That being said, it depends on what the actual discrepancy is - and if it's judgemental or an outright fraud.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't get into a grad program don't be afraid to work from the bottom up. Be smart when you get the job or be strategic with your start where possible.

Don't expect to jump into a role dealing with important work straight away. You need to get points on the scoreboard for people to take you seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)