• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How da hell do u study for this subject? (1 Viewer)

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
There are like 9 chapters which is heaps of memorising enough. Furthermore, algorithm writing is seriously hard. Plus, this subject is also boring to learn.

MysticEye

mmm i hear ya buddy... it is a hard subject, but if u look at every chapter 1 at a time, practice learning algorithms.. getting ur teacher or friends to mark them for u.. and focus on ur weaknesses, you'll be right, also take a look at some of the notes up on this site, they are great.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
If it's such a hard subject, why is are soo many dumb shits doing it, like half my class gets <35% then the other half get >70% slightly exaggerated but you get the point.

Algorithm's are mainly about understanding

And make your own notes, you learn more and better than way, Only refer to other people's notes for reference.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by enak
If it's such a hard subject, why is are soo many dumb shits doing it, like half my class gets <35% then the other half get >70% slightly exaggerated but you get the point.

Algorithm's are mainly about understanding

And make your own notes, you learn more and better than way, Only refer to other people's notes for reference.
Im guessing your not happy bout the scaling for software???

Most of the people who do software in my class do 4 unit maths so Im not neccesarily in a dumb class. But I think of alot people do it cause u can "program." They dont realise its more a theoritical course.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Yeah, definitely more theory-based than practical hands-on experience, which is a pity.

I say study for it the same way you'd study for a social science like geog. Memorise. :)

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Beaky
Im guessing your not happy bout the scaling for software???

Most of the people who do software in my class do 4 unit maths so Im not neccesarily in a dumb class. But I think of alot people do it cause u can "program." They dont realise its more a theoritical course.
Ye, most of the ppl do it for the practical side, I guess thats why the class size halved at the beginning of year11.

I'm the only person doing 4u in our class of about 15, then we only have about 3 ppl doing 3u, 5 ppl doing 2u and the rest general :rolleyes:

But you go to a selective school I suppose, where standards are higher.

Anyway, I hope most people got the hint and noticed of the bad scaling or the fact that it isn't a practical course as such. Maybe scaling will be better this year :D

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Lets make a petition to remove SDD from the HSC :D:p:p :apig:

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Lets make a petition to remove SDD from the HSC :D:p:p :apig:
Lol, I swear, if general kids weren't allowed to do sdd, the scaling would be heaps better, maybe discount the 2u guys as well :p

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by enak
Lol, I swear, if general kids weren't allowed to do sdd, the scaling would be heaps better, maybe discount the 2u guys as well :p

err i do 2 unit maths

and i have yet to use one bit of maths u freak

stop excluding people pfft

there is jack all maths in SDD

besides if ur doing software devs view of hardware which has very very little PRIMARY scool maths

del

HSC
N/A
the main interelation between maths and sdd is just the thinking part... you don't really have to necessarily be good at maths to be good at sdd..... and anyways even if you do ext 1 or ext 2 anything, you'd still need to do pretty good overall

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by del
the main interelation between maths and sdd is just the thinking part... you don't really have to necessarily be good at maths to be good at sdd..... and anyways even if you do ext 1 or ext 2 anything, you'd still need to do pretty good overall

exactly

some people werent made for maths but were made for software

the people who designed the course had thought maybe if the student is good at maths then they must think logically, which in some cases is true and some not, man practically most maths students just study past questions, if they really apply things in the realy world i doubt they can handle it at all

Rahul

Dead Member
we have a guy who does general in our class and he is coming third. he is beating 10 people from 3u and 2u.

some who do 2u shouldnt be doing sdd at my school, their marks being around 25-30%.

Winston

HSC
i do 2 unit maths, and i'm coming first for software beating a two 3 unit people in my class

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
err i do 2 unit maths

and i have yet to use one bit of maths u freak

stop excluding people pfft

there is jack all maths in SDD

besides if ur doing software devs view of hardware which has very very little PRIMARY scool maths
lol, I ment as in general, 4u>3u>2u>general

Originally posted by Rahul
we have a guy who does general in our class and he is coming third. he is beating 10 people from 3u and 2u.

some who do 2u shouldnt be doing sdd at my school, their marks being around 25-30%.
Hence again, the general nature of my comment. Yes some people don't fall into that category.

Originally posted by Winston
exactly

some people werent made for maths but were made for software

the people who designed the course had thought maybe if the student is good at maths then they must think logically, which in some cases is true and some not, man practically most maths students just study past questions, if they really apply things in the realy world i doubt they can handle it at all
Ye I know a few of them, study 5 hours a day and still fail.

-[Kakashi]-

HSC
back to the question...
how do u study 4 SDD...??

any tips on the scenario questions...?
and a 'DETAILED' IPO Chart.. coz i always hav problems with it where i only hav very little Inputs, Processes and Outputs... where the answer was meant 2 b like half a pg...

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Well for me software kinda sticks in my head cause I really like the course content.

But what I do is create "schemas." These are general outlines of each topic that fit on an A4 page. It's kinda like a mindmap cept has a lot of err..... writing... So once I see the point, I can then write 5-6 lines of it.

I do have "general study notes" which are text based, but i never use them cause I really only need the outlines...

As for algorithims, I try to do a couple a week from past HSC's... Also creating a sort of "function libarary" helps that u can use for algos... I mean stuff like how to write and array of records, linear search, string extraction etc....

Coding helps algorithims aswell and is also fuN!!!

But bottom line is you really have to dedictae yourself to the subject and not hate it. Just read your textbook again, jot down the most important points, create and overview of the course.

I am aiming for Band 5+ in software and suprisngly everything cept my trial has shown me I can achieve it... Just keep at it... give it 5 solid weeks of study and you should nail it ;)

Beaky....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)