How did you find your job? (1 Viewer)

FdashX

HSC
I just finished HSC and has been looking for work the past 4 weeks now, sending online applications to all the big retailers (coles, woolworths, dick smith, pizza hut, KFC etc). I've also walked into local stores like pharmacy and handed in resume. But there is yet even an interview opportunity.

If you have a job, how long did it take you to find your first job? And how much trouble did you have to go through?

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I just finished HSC and has been looking for work the past 4 weeks now, sending online applications to all the big retailers (coles, woolworths, dick smith, pizza hut, KFC etc). I've also walked into local stores like pharmacy and handed in resume. But there is yet even an interview opportunity.
You're very unlikely to get a job by just sending in online applications. Handing in your resume in person is more personal, and the store might be more likely to hire you if you look smart/presentable.

FdashX

HSC
I've been walking into stores this past week, but stores like dick smith or macdonalds just sends me back to their online application and explains that the store manager cannot employ people, only their HQ HR people can, which makes sense.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
You're very unlikely to get a job by just sending in online applications.
yeah mate i don't know where you got that from, but there's a reason large stores created the online application process in the first place

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
yeah mate i don't know where you got that from, but there's a reason large stores created the online application process in the first place
But they usually give preference to people that actually show their face when applying. Applying online means that the store can't get any indication as to whether you will be a hard working employee, or a dropkick who doesn't even bother to show up half the time.

studybuddy101

HSC
i got my job at the end of year 9 so there's a chance they hired me for the cheaper wage but still, i just handed in an application and they called me for an interview about a month later. Keep in mind that major retailers usually hire their staff in groups at specific points throughout the year. Most of them would have hired christmas staff last month so there's a chance you'd have to wait 'till easter before the next hiring round

FdashX

HSC
i got my job at the end of year 9 so there's a chance they hired me for the cheaper wage but still, i just handed in an application and they called me for an interview about a month later. Keep in mind that major retailers usually hire their staff in groups at specific points throughout the year. Most of them would have hired christmas staff last month so there's a chance you'd have to wait 'till easter before the next hiring round
yeh that's exactly what the woolworths manager has told me

hayleyemma96

HSC
I was shopping with my mum and we walked past a poster outside the shop advertising for a casual. Sent in my résumé and got a call that afternoon asking for an interview the next day. Went in and got a call later that afternoon and was told I got the job. Best place ever!

Hayley :)

moni5281

HSC
just got my job this year around april. I applied online and got called in for an interview a few weeks later, I also personally handed in my resume at the interview. another few weeks later, they hired me, but yeah again they might have just hired me for cheaper wages

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
A friend told me that the place they were working at was hiring and so I went in and had a on-the-spot interview and 30 minute trial and they hired me without even needing my resume. I asked if they wanted me to send it online but they said it's pretty useless since managers/employers prefer it wen people come in person so they can actually talk to them and get a gauge of their personality etc.

I'd been looking for about a month before that happened though and right after I got the job I'm currently working at I got calls from about 4 different places from the Westfields I was resume dropping (some employers did on-the-spot interviews then too).

My advice would be to go in person. In the scheme of things, you really want an in-person interview so they can get a feel of the type of person you are and so you can prove you're not socially retarded or someone who can't communicate in person. Everyone hates people who can't communicate. And also, don't rely on the online application. It can be months before they send you a reply which would be a rejection anyway. Face-to-face is the way to go!

Last edited:

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
For huge chains like Mcdonalds,Coles,KFC etc..just hand in your resume online(they will likely tell you do so anyway), as said before,a certain manager takes care of resume,and they get many applications a week (trust me my Mcdonalds store has ignored many many resumes every few weeks,if you do not get in,you were certainly fighting for a spot), there is little space in the office and anything like a resume will get lost in the pile within minutes,they prefer online where everything is easy to access and read through.(I notice some of my Mcdonalds managers are usually stressed, which is probably another reason they don't want more to think about when someone personally hands in a resume)

Most of the time it's not really your resume that's the problem it's either your availability or age. They don't really care if you had a academic award, it's either work experience,leadership(such as sports captain) or teamwork(again things such as playing sport) on your resume that counts.They really do prefer cheap wages,so 17-18 is still ok,but they prefer 16 or under. Availability really helps! Tell them you can work from morning(that helps alot because its during school hours, forget your crappy sleep, you've had enough of it. Basically as much availability as possible for these casual positions, IT IS CASUAL therefore they want you to be flexible(and its post HSC so that should be easy for you).

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
But they usually give preference to people that actually show their face when applying. Applying online means that the store can't get any indication as to whether you will be a hard working employee, or a dropkick who doesn't even bother to show up half the time.
>what is the interview process

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
When they ask you why you applied for them you NEVER say 'because I want to gain experience'. Very common rookie mistake.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
^ why is it a rookie mistake? .... I put that in my application to pwc ..

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Unless recruiters are desperate, an applicant who says that signals to the recruiter that that they have no interest in staying with them for long.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
What about saying "opportunities " instead?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Depends on the context of the wording. You need to remember to align what you want from them to what they want from you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)